Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 12:07 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,718,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hempfield mania View Post
Aqua,
You must have been looking at the older database.

7 yrs of service above shows over 54k. 76k @ 12 yrs.
You are correct. I missed that guy, my bad. But there are 12 teachers that meet my claim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 12:09 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Quote:
Aqua,
You must have been looking at the older database.
I'm seeing a lot of variation. It may depend on advanced degrees and maybe subject.

Anyway, as usual I find those completely unremarkable salaries for white collar professionals, particularly for the people with seniority.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Seems their average take home pay for a new teacher after taxes is $35k USD which is friggin awesome.

(Report had an average of 2000 Euro take home a month multiplied by 12 months and then converted to USD)

Old 06-14-2011, 12:33 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Seems their average take home pay for a new teacher after taxes is $35k USD which is friggin awesome.

(Report had an average of 2000 Euro take home a month multiplied by 12 months and then converted to USD)
Though comparing Euros to Dollars in terms of salaries one would also have to take the cost of living into effect between the US and the other country so a straight comparison is really corrent. Maybe there is an online calculator somewhere that does this.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:38 PM

Here is a good roundup on pay-related teacher stats in international comparisons:

Teacher Pay Around the World - NYTimes.com

To sum up, U.S. teachers are at the top of the scale in terms of hours of instruction per year. Their pay is more middling, and if you control for the relative wealth of the countries, their pay is toward the bottom end of the scale.

So per hour of instruction, adjusted for relative country wealth, we are way low when it comes to teacher pay.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Though comparing Euros to Dollars in terms of salaries one would also have to take the cost of living into effect between the US and the other country so a straight comparison is really corrent. Maybe there is an online calculator somewhere that does this.
Well if you take into consideration that they never have to pay for health care during their lives (in most EU countries) since that total is take home pay that is very nice. Not to mention they will be coming out of college with little to no debt while the average graduate's debt in the US is around $80k (plus interest). It's a win-win teaching over there apparently.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:22 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,857 times
To play devils advocate their results when compared againt their international counterparts is middling too....(though yes, many of those reasons are out of their control)

I actually don't think there would be as much backlash currently over teachers pay if the total expenditure in education as a whole in our country was in a way that taxes needn't be consistently raised nor the budget consistently increased when other countries can teach their children successfully while spending significantly less per pupil; the system as a whole is what really needs meaningful reform, teacher salaries are a convenient target

Old 06-14-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
To play devils advocate their results when compared againt their international counterparts is middling too....(though yes, many of those reasons are out of their control)
We're underpaying teachers based on international comparisons, and getting relatively poor results based on international comparisons. I'm not sure the conclusion I would draw from those observations is that we should pay our teachers even less. But I would tend to agree that we may be able to pay our teachers in better ways.

Quote:
I actually don't think there would be as much backlash currently over teachers pay if the total expenditure in education as a whole in our country was in a way that taxes needn't be consistently raised nor the budget consistently increased when other countries can teach their children successfully while spending significantly less per pupil; the system as a whole is what really needs meaningful reform, teacher salaries are a convenient target
I think there is a some truth to this. We spend a lot of education money in the U.S. on non-instructional categories, and a lot of that spending might be unnecessary (although some of it is because we still have a lot of people living in spread out areas, leading to high transportation costs, and solving that problem is outside the scope of education policy alone).

That said, I feel compelled to note again that there isn't really a general backlash over teacher's pay. It is a big talking point among a certain political minority, but the majority of people aren't buying it.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:16 AM

780 posts, read 1,384,950 times
BrianTH,
When are you going to get it? YOU are in the minority. The city-data forum DOES NOT represent the majority in the PGH metropolitan area, especially the eastern suburbs.

People without children and people on fixed incomes, especially the elderly, can't continue to sustain the school systems with constantly rising property taxes and they are the majority whether you choose to believe it or not. What causes the continue rise on school budgets; for the most part, higher salaries and benefit/pension costs.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:27 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,358,874 times
Quote:
BrianTH,
When are you going to get it? YOU are in the minority. The city-data forum DOES NOT represent the majority in the PGH metropolitan area, especially the eastern suburbs.

People without children and people on fixed incomes, especially the elderly, can't continue to sustain the school systems with constantly rising property taxes and they are the majority whether you choose to believe it or not. What causes the continue rise on school budgets; for the most part, higher salaries and benefit/pension costs.
That's because we're still running school districts designed for like three times the current population, not because teachers are allowed to go on strike.

Frankly, I feel this is more a convenient excuse to chip away at labor unions (especially in places like my home state of Ohio) than an honest attempt at "fixing" anything. I'm not in a union, and there are a lot of things about them I don't particularly agree with, but come on--people should at least be honest about what their goals are with this . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh