Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 09:03 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times

Advertisements

It'll be interesting to see if the high tech workers migrating from Silicon Valley will have an influence on this issue. That part of California tends to be very pro teachers and many are also pro union. They also are accustomed to raising taxes, especially for schools and such. (Of course, you could also argue that people leaving California are trying to escape such things and would be against them.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 09:17 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
It'll be interesting to see if the high tech workers migrating from Silicon Valley will have an influence on this issue. That part of California tends to be very pro teachers and many are also pro union. They also are accustomed to raising taxes, especially for schools and such. (Of course, you could also argue that people leaving California are trying to escape such things and would be against them.)
Highly-educated migrants and immigrants are in fact more likely to support strong education policies.

But again, I think it is important to note that the people bashing teachers and public education in PA (or on this forum) do not represent a majority viewpoint as it stands.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:18 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
But again, I think it is important to note that the people bashing teachers and public education in PA (or on this forum) do not represent a majority viewpoint as it stands.
I must have missed the posts where people are bashing teachers. Maybe the pay scale, but not teachers.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:44 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,712,597 times
I've yet to hear the opinion of the always wise and farsighted urban progressive sophisticates on the refusal of the Upper St. Clair teacher's union to accept a wage freeze. I guess it must be a " strong education policy."

Old 06-20-2011, 01:26 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,977 times
There is a big difference between supporting education funding and supporting the current salary structure and benefits that our teachers are receiving. I am fine paying high taxes for a great public school system. However, I do think teachers salaries are a little high when the parking lot is full of luxury vehicles. I would rather have teachers districts negotiate a 15 percent cut in salary than have to lay off 40 teachers. Again, I am fine with the amount of funding districts get but I just feel that we should allocated it differently.

I think most people agree that teachers, at least in Allegheny County, make a really nice wage.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:33 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,857 times
No, but to some it is heresy to suggest that salaries can ever take a cut in this profession even if the surplus of theachers in the market allows it. Salaries are very nice at what is Not a regular white collar job in comparison to other working hours and vacation days in the private market as much as others try to claim it is comparable.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:09 AM
gg

I see Quaker Valley raised their school taxes because they may have a shortfall due to the pullback of funds from the state. One has to wonder if the state reverses its educational funding policy, will these school boards give the money back to the residents, since this is why districts are increasing school tax? My guess, no.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:15 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
Frankly, I would think that teachers would actually be in favor of this because I would think that they would not want to teach until the end of June. Personally, I don't think the existing right to strike law allows the teachers to make significant contractual gains because they can't go on indefinitely.
I think that they would not strike because of the children.

What will happen to the children if there's no school?

They should voluntarily sign a pledge not to strike....ever.

Remember, it's all about the children!

Old 07-02-2011, 06:41 PM

52 posts, read 75,577 times
Public school teachers have no business ever going on strike.

Old 07-03-2011, 07:03 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I see Quaker Valley raised their school taxes because they may have a shortfall due to the pullback of funds from the state. One has to wonder if the state reverses its educational funding policy, will these school boards give the money back to the residents, since this is why districts are increasing school tax? My guess, no.
Fox Chapel raised it the maximum without some vote for the same reason. Fox Chapel raises the school tax every year though, so we are used to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh