Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2014, 09:14 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,807,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
What is up with all of the trolls lately?
Not all trolls are bad, I once had the privilege to stick my hand up this guy's nostril:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 04:40 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,244,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboPGH View Post
I don't think you need to apologize to anyone. You're histrionics are easy enough to brush aside, and you put legitimate effort into saying something constructive in the vast majority of your posts.

Folks just gotta quit feeding the trolls and this site will be fine.
agreed entirely. SCR does come over as 'it's all about me' sometimes, but, ah well, we're hardly all faultless. No apologies needed. Instead, deep breathes, scrutiny of any paragraph longer than 6 lines, and hang off a few mins before pushing submit and re-read a little later.

And yep, ignore lists for trolls are great.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:39 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,095,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post

The more subtle ones who post what sounds like info in someone's question thread
Yeah, have to admit that's my pet peeve, too. After all, people come here to find city DATA. So there's an underlying assumption that the data they find here is going to be accurate, or at least fairly reliable. Trolling can be annoying but the people who pretend to be helpful and then deliberately post made up stats, false information, gross exaggerations, and (my least favorite) claiming things don't exist when in fact they do are the ones who really tick me off.

ps. People take vacations from internet forums all the time and for all sorts of reasons. Especially if they had busy jobs, family events, are newly retired, etc. Sad to see the trolls trying to infer anyone drove them off.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:36 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,961,359 times
In my case, i had to remove all the non essential things. 2012 to 2013 was a whirlwind for me. Life caught up with me and i was struck down with the shingles virus. The commercials cannot express the horror of shingles. It was awful. Im 6'3" and 176lbs. I lost 14lbs in eight days. I watched the entire boston bombing tragedy unfold before my ears. I was too weak to sit up in bed and watch. Upon my return to work which was approximately five weeks, i finished out a large project that I managed for 18 months. I was shockingly thin and very weak. The walk from Penn Station down Grant Street drained me. Soon after I along with 80 IT associates were layed off... I was sad for no more than ten minutes. I put in 17 years of hard work and in the end it did not matter. Ive been Mr mom since May and really focused on my marriage, children and above all, myself. My Dr told me that stress will bring out the shingles virus more than anything including a compromised immune system. I never noticed how thin i was stretched. I put off all volunteering and church activites for 1 year and ive never felt better. I wake up in the morning get my wife and kids off and wow! Ive decided not to return to the corporate world.. I will start a new position with a non profit in March....

Old 01-27-2014, 07:43 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
You're not wpipkins with only four posts.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:07 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,042,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
His old account may have been locked or something for some reason. Or maybe he lost the password. I believe it is the same poster, given the writing style is identical.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:10 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,095,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
In my case, i had to remove all the non essential things. 2012 to 2013 was a whirlwind for me. Life caught up with me and i was struck down with the shingles virus. The commercials cannot express the horror of shingles. It was awful. Im 6'3" and 176lbs. I lost 14lbs in eight days. I watched the entire boston bombing tragedy unfold before my ears. I was too weak to sit up in bed and watch. Upon my return to work which was approximately five weeks, i finished out a large project that I managed for 18 months. I was shockingly thin and very weak. The walk from Penn Station down Grant Street drained me. Soon after I along with 80 IT associates were layed off... I was sad for no more than ten minutes. I put in 17 years of hard work and in the end it did not matter. Ive been Mr mom since May and really focused on my marriage, children and above all, myself. My Dr told me that stress will bring out the shingles virus more than anything including a compromised immune system. I never noticed how thin i was stretched. I put off all volunteering and church activites for 1 year and ive never felt better. I wake up in the morning get my wife and kids off and wow! Ive decided not to return to the corporate world.. I will start a new position with a non profit in March....
you have my deepest sympathy in re shingles, I had them last year, though I was not totally incapacitated. I never experienced so many flavors of pain, though.

Congrats on your new life

Old 01-27-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I know right....Not enough interesting topics lately. Everyone is suspect huh?

Old 01-27-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
His old account may have been locked or something for some reason. Or maybe he lost the password. I believe it is the same poster, given the writing style is identical.
Yes. Im locked out of all accounts including gmail.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:12 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,058,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
In my case, i had to remove all the non essential things. 2012 to 2013 was a whirlwind for me. Life caught up with me and i was struck down with the shingles virus...Soon after I along with 80 IT associates were layed off... I was sad for no more than ten minutes. I put in 17 years of hard work and in the end it did not matter...Ive decided not to return to the corporate world.. I will start a new position with a non profit in March....
well, i dont know yinz, but i am sorry for your plight, since i also had had a several year rut (for other than health reasons) and decline in all my savings whither away. im ecstatic for you finding a place of belonging for yourself outside the corporate world, if that is where you feel you should be!
good luck with your new position.

(i never really knew what shingles were - i thought that was a tightness in the calves...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh