Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 09:33 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,059,813 times

Advertisements

So here is a map of the Pittsburgh "Urbanized Area" as of 2000:

By way of explanation, urbanized areas are defined by density, and include most suburbs/exurbs as well. Areas not dense enough to qualify as urbanized are classified as "rural".

So the gray areas on the map are considered low-density enough to be rural. As you can see, there are rural sections inside Allegheny County, and not that far from the City itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 11:08 AM

6,877 posts, read 9,409,413 times
Awesome thread! I've always wondered what the inside of your rowhome looks like, alleghenyangel, and I think it's neat that there are built-ins in the kitchen. I like your house, too, Mein! And your apartment is a lot nicer than I expected it to be, based on the exterior of the home, Paul.

I obviously don't live in Pittsburgh, but I've visited many times and love the city. Also, when I was an undergrad at Penn State, one of my urban geography classes did a project that involved a field trip to check out redevelopment in East Liberty, the Waterfront, etc. This was in 2003.

I should post a picture of my house. Totally different style from most of the East Coast.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:26 PM

112 posts, read 161,908 times
Heres a couple quick ones of mine, in South Park. Built in 1956. My kitchen comes complete with boomerang countertops!
The door has been changed and the flowers are loads bigger now but everything else is the same.

obligitory pink and blue bathrooms:

Old 09-09-2011, 01:06 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,051,149 times
I love the pink and blue bathrooms!

Old 09-09-2011, 01:09 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,191,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvan View Post

Just put those lights in out front.
I can't see your picture.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
I love the pink and blue bathrooms!
Thanks
at first I wasnt sure about them but now I've started to appreciate them!

Old 09-09-2011, 04:45 PM

31 posts, read 146,570 times
BrianTH: Thank you for the info. The gray areas are very helpful Spam: Thank you, I will look in those areas. I also like the South Park area, but its hard to find info on the southwestern areas. Not very many pictures.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:44 PM

12,391 posts, read 7,117,027 times
I wasn't going to post in this thread because I didn't have any decent pictures of my house, but I love this thread (I wish more people would post pics) so I thought I'd post some pics anyway.

I inherited this house, my Grandfather bought the house in 1946, shortly after coming home from WWII. My mother grew up in this house, and I've spent many holidays at this house over the years, so the house is very special to me.

My plan was to live in the house as I renovated it to eventually sell and move to Regent Square. Well, 14 years later, I'm still here. This little house and neighborhood has really grown on me, I even ended up passing on a very reasonably priced house in Regent Square.

What is interesting about these rowhouses, is that they are on a large triangular strip of land, so each house is offset from each other. They are based on the four square design, and have fireplaces, mantel pieces, built-in cabinets, hardwood floors and natural woodwork throughout. They are quite nice for fairly modest rowhouses built in 1925.

I replaced an old aluminum screen door with a new full view one. The front door was painted, so I stripped the paint off and refinished it to bring it back to the way it was originally.

You can see the original wooden screen door in the back of the house.

My Grandmother planted this rose bush many, many years ago. I haven't done anything to maintain it, and it still puts out beautiful flowers.

If you start into a major renovation project the same week that you move in, this is what your house will look like.

If you can look past all the clutter, you'll see some of the beautiful details the house has.

I had a 1950's era bathroom (pink tile everywhere in the bathroom), this was the start of the renovation I did.

Same room a couple of weeks later.

I still hadn't razor bladed off the paint on the windows when I took the pic, but this is pretty much the finished product.

The view out of my bedroom window just after sunrise. This is just one of the many reasons I love this house.

Last edited by stburr91; 09-09-2011 at 06:53 PM..

Old 09-09-2011, 07:26 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,051,149 times
Great house, stburr! I love all the original woodwork and built-ins. In spite of the fact that I like pink 1950s bathroom tile, I think you did a beautiful job with the bathroom renovation.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
Great house, stburr! I love all the original woodwork and built-ins. In spite of the fact that I like pink 1950s bathroom tile, I think you did a beautiful job with the bathroom renovation.
I agree! You did a great job on the bathroom renovation.

Those rose bushes are lovely too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh