Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 09:18 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burghgirl17 View Post
You'd be surprised. Someone once mentioned where they live in pretty good detail. Another poster (who has posted in this thread) brings it up on occasion, much to that person's dismay. It's kind of stalkerish/freaky.
Why don't you just come out already and say that you're ticked off I mentioned the neighborhood in which h_curtis resides after he mentioned it NUMEROUS (not only "once") times on this sub-forum? It's common knowledge he lives in the "walkable" part of "The Borough" near Aspinwall. I don't see how it's "stalkerish" to regurgitate that when he's stated it here on NUMEROUS occasions. I also brought it up ONCE as a reply to another member (perhaps MeinGlanzendModorrad?) who said he wanted to expel his SUV fumes all over h_curtis's neighborhood. H_curtis returned with a nasty reply.

People know exactly where I live. Do I care? No. I love this neighborhood. I love this city. The more visitors we get the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 10:32 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,872,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
I only started looking at this board, because a poster here mentioned a nutty neighbor of his who I know. I printed the page and showed it to another friend of the nutty neighbor.

Since I know where that guy and his dogs live, I knew where the poster lived even before I registered.

Pittsburgh isn't a large place, posting here isn't the same as posting on some world wide forum.
So you know Joe huh?

Old 09-13-2011, 10:52 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
there's a poster on this forum who made it really clear where they were moving, and their new landlord was emailed by someone pretending to be them and trying to mess up their new living situation.
^ That was me and, yes, I'm almost 100% certain it was someone from this forum who was responsible for it. This person also created a fictitious Facebook account, "Sue Ann Brown", to further spy on me. It was actually a handwritten letter that was mailed to my landlady, which is even creepier, but I digress. This person was posing as a "Jane Salsbury" (first off, if you're going to create a fictitious name you might as well spell it correctly---SALISBURY). Supposedly she worked for my apartment management company in Virginia, and she spouted all these mistruths about me never paying my rent timely, being a nightmare tenant, being unable to pay any of my bills, etc. I went right to my leasing office, where they confirmed there was no such person as a "Jane Salsbury" in their employment. Once they found out what had happened they were interested in going in with me to file charges because someone was impersonating them as an employee. I went to the Fairfax County Police Department, and they told me fraud wasn't a crime (i.e. "We're too busy with other matters to deal with you").

My relocation here was MUCH more stressful than it had to be just because someone on here from NoVA with an ax to grind against me decided it would be "fun" to do that and stir up even more drama in my life that I didn't need. I had to kiss some serious backside to NOT lose my current dream apartment. If that had fallen through I'd probably be living on the streets somewhere right now because I'd have nowhere else to go. Nevertheless I persevered. I don't fear posting anything about myself online. I was "lurking" on this sub-forum in early-2006, when it was still in its infancy, and I joined shortly thereafter. Over the past 5.5 years I've been cyber-stalked and harassed in real life numerous times as a result of posting here, but that won't quell my desire to contribute. A lot of people are either envious of me or just don't like me. The contingent of those who are mentally unstable and decide to take out their anger against me in real life aren't going to silence me. Why should they?

Old 09-13-2011, 11:44 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,952,906 times
You have no idea if it was someone from this forum. You've made it very clear that you had several enemies in NOVA. They hated you and vice versa. How do you know that it wasn't one of those enemies who you will hate until you die? I really don't think that a poster here went to all that trouble, but an enemy might.

We're just glad that your desires were not quelled, but I digress.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:55 PM

STBURR91, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your house and the renovations. Just beautiful and so charming. Your bathroom is gorgeous.

Why did everyone in the 1960's think baby blue and baby pink were the best colors for bathrooms?! Yuck!

Old 09-14-2011, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirus226 View Post
I don't think there are that many people out there who are going to start stalking someone after they post pics of their house. Maybe I'm wrong though, I'm pretty new to this forum.

Though, if someone really wants to find out where you live, they will find out. We're not as anonymous on the internet as we might like to think we are.
You are absolutely correct.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I agree.

I knew a guy who was a popular blog writer and a poster on a forum. He basically exposed his life on a famous popular expat blog (that was a bit famous), and some people on a forum decided collectively they didn't like him. He stopped posting on the forum, but they kept taunting him - trying to get him fired, try to disrupt his relationship, and than post about it on the forum.

It was one of the uglist things I'd ever seen. The guy ended up committing suicide. Most on the forum just thought it was something he'd do anyway, but I always believed it was their aggressive stalking of trying to ruin his life.

He also published a book from his blogs..so the blogs were so intertwined with his life.

Since I knew that guy very well personally, from that time on, I always cover my exact tracks online. No matter how 'cool' you try to be online with everyone, there is always someone out there somewhere who just decides they don't like you. I've seen it so many times.

---

All that being said, this thread is a very interesting one. If it were me, I'd probably do a few interior shots...than go a few neighborhoods over, and try to find an exterior house that kinda sorta looks like mine, especially if its a dime-a-dozen looking house.
I too know a blogger who has tried very hard to ruin the lives of some people who disagreed with him politically on his forum. He's called their bosses, started nasty rumors, stalked them to the point where lawyers had to tell him to stay away. And now he wonders why he has no friends and no one wants to read or post on his blog! Crazy.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Not to freak you out or anything, but I know where you live.

Seriously, something you posted on here made me realize I met you in person. In our conversation, you mentioned which house was yours. Don't worry, I won't tell anyone where you live.
The same thing has happened to me too. I've met quite a few people through C-D forums or realized that we had close friends in common. It's been a lot of fun!

Old 09-14-2011, 03:20 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,729,877 times
The topic of this thread is "Show off your house", not "argue about personal stuff". We all realize some of you don't like each other, you have the right to. What you don't have the right to is hijacking threads to be about you and your dislikes.
So please, back on topic. This is potentially a very good thread, don't ruin it.
Yac.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:06 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
i'm just saying that people should be careful about posting identifying information on the internet. my experience was pretty scary and all the guy did was lord over me how much he knew and make threats. he moved into more real-life stuff (sending things to her house and calling her) with someone else on the forum, in fact his attention turned to me because as a moderator i had to tell him to stop contacting her on the site. i've seen people on forums being harassed, having their families harassed, even losing their jobs because someone who didn't like them took action based on something they posted. of course no one is going to stalk you *just because* you post a picture of your house but it could easily be used to gather information about you by someone on or off the forum who doesn't like you for some reason or another.

this is a cool thread but i personally won't be posting the exterior of my house due to the reasons outlined above. my experience in the past has led me to be extremely reluctant to post any identifying information on the web.

anyway, here are some pictures of the inside of our house before we moved in:

one of the bedrooms upstairs (we use it as a library)

2nd floor landing:

dining room:

2nd floor bathroom:

here's a really low res picture of our kitchen after tiling, painting, and putting in a stove (unfortunately i don't have a picture of it pre-tiling, but it had 3 shades of purple on the walls and brown vinyl flooring, and nothing in it but that sink. also 2 windows, *six* doors and a chimney)

back yard this year:

Last edited by groar; 09-14-2011 at 06:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh