Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 09:16 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,689,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
We didn't encounter anyone else on our 10-minute walk over there, and South Highland Avenue was a ghost town with tumbleweed rolling on by even though that corridor is usually very busy due to the dense concentration of bars and restaurants.
I was driving from a friend's house in the East End to my place, through Downtown, during the 3rd quarter. It was more desolate than Carson Street on Sunday Morning.

I've never seen a more empty roadway than the turnpike during the AFC Championship last year. I drove from Irwin to Monroeville without seeing another car.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:29 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,627,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestLibertyAve View Post
The same people who whine about the Steelers being shoved in their face are the same people who probably whine about Christmas being shoved in their face when someone puts a tree or a manger up in the middle of town.

I say, get a life.
I don't have to look at a manger or tree in town.

When someone comes up and says to me that I shouldn't be wearing purple because it's the color of the Ravens, that's where it gets obnxious. Those people need to get a life.

BTW, I could care less if there's a Christmas tree, manger or menorah anywhere. I was trying to prove a point that that comparison makes no sense.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:49 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,689,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post

When someone comes up and says to me that I shouldn't be wearing purple because it's the color of the Ravens, that's where it gets obnxious. Those people need to get a life.

BTW, I could care less if there's a Christmas tree, manger or menorah anywhere. I was trying to prove a point that that comparison makes no sense.
Yeah, I'm with you on this one. I can occasionally watch a game, but generally I don't, nor do I really care what happens. And this is all usually fine, but some Steelers fans are so overzealous that it gets to be incredibly annoying. Like whenever you tell someone that you're not really a fan and they look at you like there are lobsters crawling out of your ears.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:51 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,466,132 times
Quote:
The same people who whine about the Steelers being shoved in their face are the same people who probably whine about Christmas being shoved in their face when someone puts a tree or a manger up in the middle of town.

I say, get a life.
Huh? That makes no sense whatsoever.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:51 AM

264 posts, read 492,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post

It's still the same argument that the atheists make..."I don't like it/believe in it so therefore it should not be imposed on me in any way shape or form" (generally translated as: "stop shoving it in my face")

Maybe I don't realize the significance of things like the purple shirt comments because that's just how I've always known Pittsburgh to be...but really, is it the end of the world?

So much talk about how Pittsburghers have no pride in their city, and how the suburbanites are afraid to step foot in the city, and how Pittsburgh is often overlooked for the bigger and brighter cities....yet when there's an entity exists that actually brings people to the city, creates a sense of pride, and has brought one of the most coveted trophies in all of sports back to Pittsburgh more than any other team...it's met with scorn by people like you who get upset that people are actually enjoying themselves and you're not a part of it.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:57 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Denver is always a tough place to play. I think the Steelers are obviously a better team, but a home field and a lie high is always tough. Those that feel Denver is a better team, might want to look at the division they are both in and their records. It is a shame the Steeelers have to travel out there to play a .500 team in the worst division in football, but those are the breaks. I was at work during the entire game, but was impressed the Steelers came back and tied it. The defense isn't quite as strong as in years past and that is probably the biggest problem.

Anyway, I root for them because it is good for the city. I think the city is more important than myself.
I assume you mean "a mile high"? When all else fails, blame the altitude!

Old 01-09-2012, 10:07 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
Quote:
and has brought one of the most coveted trophies in all of sports back to Pittsburgh more than any other team..
Sounds like a bit of a bias here, no offense.

Anyway I'm indifferent on football/the Steelers. I see that it brings a lot of joy to a lot of people and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. But on the flip side people like me are shunned for being non-fans to the point where it's as if you have zero common ground with a person over 1 issue. Plus football always seems to sneak its way into your life even when you're not actively seeking it out.

I think those two factors are why some folks hate the culture so much.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
It's still the same argument that the atheists make..."I don't like it/believe in it so therefore it should not be imposed on me in any way shape or form" (generally translated as: "stop shoving it in my face")
Your analogies still make no sense whatsoever. I'm not going to debate that point, since those two have nothinig to do with the other whatsoever.

Quote:
Maybe I don't realize the significance of things like the purple shirt comments because that's just how I've always known Pittsburgh to be...but really, is it the end of the world?
Tell that to the overzealous obnoxious fans. They lost. It's not teh end of the world. It's only a game.

Quote:
So much talk about how Pittsburghers have no pride in their city, and how the suburbanites are afraid to step foot in the city, and how Pittsburgh is often overlooked for the bigger and brighter cities....yet when there's an entity exists that actually brings people to the city, creates a sense of pride, and has brought one of the most coveted trophies in all of sports back to Pittsburgh more than any other team...it's met with scorn by people like you who get upset that people are actually enjoying themselves and you're not a part of it.
So sports is the ONLY way people can take pride in thier city?

Oh yeah and a "coveted" trophy. Whoo-dee-doo.

Last edited by raubre; 01-09-2012 at 10:16 AM..

Old 01-09-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ML North View Post
. Like whenever you tell someone that you're not really a fan and they look at you like there are lobsters crawling out of your ears.
I'd rather look at someone with lobsters crawling out of thier ears as ooposed to some half naked drunken idiot wearing black and gold body paint.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:13 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
Quote:
It's not that I don't like football. I just find it boring. I'm basically kind of neutral about it. It simply never came up in conversation anywhere else I've lived (DC, NY, Seattle). But here, if you don't adore, cherish, and revere every winning (or, as we saw yesterday, losing) moment with the Here We Go set, you're scorned, blasphemed, and disrespected. I promise you, this is the only city I've lived in where I've seen people act this way about a football team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh