Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 12:41 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,406,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
Trucks, SUVs and Vans should not be allowed to park in normal sized parking lots or spaces.
Why not? Also, what's "normal sized"? BTW, where are they to park if all the spots are the same size?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 01:00 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,385,138 times
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippy View Post
I understand what you are saying, and I agree with you to a certain degree. However, out in the exurbs, there is no real association between the ghetto and the Escalade; it is simply viewed as a luxury SUV for upper middle class.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:07 PM

9,348 posts, read 13,010,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
And I'd argue that those folks aren't the pioneers who start the revitalization. They move in once the profit potential has been established and the neighborhood has already changed significantly toward "safe".
Pioneers or not, they're responsible for maintaining/expanding this positive phenomenon.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:32 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,532,111 times
I think I saw Brian parking his Escalade at the bus stop this morning.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:33 PM

423 posts, read 629,215 times
I think we can all agree people who drive Hummers need a good punch in the throat.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:35 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,385,138 times
I agree wholeheartedly!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolitaryThrush View Post
I think we can all agree people who drive Hummers need a good punch in the throat.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:44 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,989,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
The class warfare is tiring.
Don't know if I'd call it "class warfare". Lots of people in all social strata manage to only buy what they need. Lots of others just have to buy more than what they need. In my personal experience, conspicuous consumption is more a trait of the insecure than the wealthy.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:06 PM

9,348 posts, read 13,010,796 times
Quote:
Don't know if I'd call it "class warfare". Lots of people in all social strata manage to only buy what they need. Lots of others just have to buy more than what they need. In my personal experience, conspicuous consumption is more a trait of the insecure than the wealthy.
Most everyone (save for monks and the utterly destitute) buys more than "what they need." They're called luxury items. Of course, there's a difference between buying things you'll actually use and spending for the sake of spending.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:31 PM

995 posts, read 1,115,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
They come that way.

On the subject of it being in a parking lot, what's the issue? Yea, bigger vehicles take up more of the area between the lines. In most lots, I can't fit in those little spaces so I'm way out in the lot.

As for reserved parking based on vehicle size or fuel efficiency, that's pretty funny. First saw that at a mall in Butler. After I parked my truck in the spot , I went into the store to talk to the manager about why they think they should have special spots right up front for "fuel efficient vehicles". She couldn't define what qualified as "fuel efficient", nor could she defend the practice and subsequently said it was the mall management that came up with it. After I showed her my family of 4, with 2 full buggies of stuff from his store alone, I asked her to tell me what's more efficient, 4 people in a loaded down truck getting 17mpg's or 1 person with a candle or whatever in a 24mpg car being on the road. She conceded.
I prefer smaller cars and right now, I have an Altima. When I'm parked between 2 large vehicles, it's nearly impossible to see any traffic coming when I'm trying to slowly inch out of my space.
I can't count the number of times I've nearly been creamed by somebody zooming down the row and I couldn't see them because of the SUV and truck I was parked between.

Whatever people choose to drive, it is their choice, for whatever reason. I just don't like SUVs and larger cars personally, I feel more in control when driving something smaller. Plus, my environmental conscience nags at me, so I have to go smaller.

Last edited by AnneWest; 03-26-2012 at 02:40 PM..

Old 03-26-2012, 02:35 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,883,891 times
Quote:
But this applies nearly across the board. If everyone purchased only what they needed everyone would be driving mostly the exact same vehicle. Likewise everyone world wear the same inexpensive, functional clothes suited for that days particular weather, own the same small tv, have the same house, etc, etc.

But we don't do that, we all buy more then we need in some aspects of our lives and if some people choose vehicles as their avenue of wasting money, while it may be financially foolish, I don't see why I should care 1 iota that they don't necessarily need it.
I own a convertible, should I likewise feel ashamed of the excess I spent above what a similar car would have cost me, or is the stigma only attached to SUVs for some reason & not other areas of people's lives.

And I mentioned class warfare because enough people keep associating these evil pickup & suv drivers with people of means, but as I noted earlier, terrible drivers come in all classes & vehicle types.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh