Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 01:23 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Penn/Drexel are U City. Center City falls between the rivers. Anything parallel to Center City but beyond the Schuylkill is West Philly. That's how the local parlance works, regardless of whether a real estate agent or taxi cab map says otherwise. North/South is a little different, and the limits of CC are definitely starting to blur along those lines. Calling Fishtown and Strawberry Mansion CC is definitely nothing more than a marketing ploy.
Again what you define as hard boarders are obviously blurred in practice across several Philadelphia industries, and if it was so clearly defined as you put it, they wouldn't be able to get away with it.

Just like Pittsburgh is now trying to get away with the North Shore being "Downtown" back in the Three River Stadium days that would have never flown back then there was no "North Shore" it was all the North Side anything on the other side of the Allegheny Rive was the North Side, no 2 ways about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 01:34 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Again what you define as hard boarders are obviously blurred in practice across several Philadelphia industries, and if it was so clearly defined as you put it, they wouldn't be able to get away with it.

Just like Pittsburgh is now trying to get away with the North Shore being "Downtown" back in the Three River Stadium days that would have never flown back then there was no "North Shore" it was all the North Side anything on the other side of the Allegheny Rive was the North Side, no 2 ways about it.
The Schuylkill is a hard border, no two ways about it. North South is a lot more fluid as I said before. Either way, we've gone egregiously off-topic.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
The Schuylkill is a hard border, no two ways about it. North South is a lot more fluid as I said before. Either way, we've gone egregiously off-topic.
Hey don't try to prove it to me, I know the true Center City borders are.....ever heard of perception is reality, if they can get away with it what stopping them?

Just like I can sit here and say North Shore will never be "Downtown", what I think really doesn't matter, its how successful the market is at branding it or perceiving it.

I agree too far off topic.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:24 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,827,428 times
Quote:
Hey don't try to prove it to me, I know the true Center City borders are.....
http://centercityphila.org/docs/CCDBoundaryMap.pdf

Old 06-06-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Yeppers! that's the "Official" border....Now try telling that to marketing groups and real estate brokers, Center City takes on much bigger definition and people buy into it...

It's like Pittsburgh now calling The Strip, The Hill, North Shore, Uptown, and Station Square..."Downtown".....Officially they're NOT DOWNTOWN...but if Marketing can get away with it....

Old 06-06-2012, 03:07 PM

1,776 posts, read 2,698,039 times
But nobody in Pittsburgh is even marketing those neighborhoods as downtown?

Old 06-06-2012, 05:28 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,140,512 times
"North Shore" came to exist for 2 reasons - growth on the "shore" area with the offices etc in the last 15 years and also for branding.... call it "north shore" and it's not that north side that had been regularly on the crappy local news day after day with bad publicity....

Old 06-06-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
But nobody in Pittsburgh is even marketing those neighborhoods as downtown?
Where have you been, ever since NSC opened there has been a push to re-brand the North Shore as "Downtown"...I have seen marketing material that will incorporate Station Square into Downtown rather than South Side.

The Lower Hill, Uptown, and the Strip once all revitalized will also be pushed in effort to "expand" upon "Downtown"

Old 06-06-2012, 09:28 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,085,704 times
Quote:
Where have you been, ever since NSC opened there has been a push to re-brand the North Shore as "Downtown"...I have seen marketing material that will incorporate Station Square into Downtown rather than South Side.

The Lower Hill, Uptown, and the Strip once all revitalized will also be pushed in effort to "expand" upon "Downtown"
I agree, this will happen. It's only a matter of time now.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:32 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,375,591 times
Downtown thrived through at least the earlier 1970s when Flaherty was mayor. Clubs/bars were crowded even on weekday nights. Stores were open late on Mondays and Thursdays and it was fun to go there without checking what would be open or not. It was a happening scene with people from all of our areas. For our size, we had a mini Manhatten at the time.

After that, when Caliguiri was mayor(?), pimps and hookers were chased out to Lawrenceville and look what happened there. Popular bars/clubs were shut down eventually replaced by the cultural district that 98% of people don't care about.

Within the past year I was downtown around 5PM and it was mayhem on every corner with all the people waiting for buses.
---
But this is about the Cleveland newspaper giving us a good write-up.

I have been to Ohio many times and have met Ohioans here and elsewhere and think they are great and friendly people - except during football season. This half of their state is full of football fans, many OSU, and many nearer by are Steelers fans, but they always have a bad pro football team and we always have a good one. We don't even regard it as a rivalry anymore, they still do and hate it when we win and always root for Baltimore.

I went into a Browns forum a couple of years ago to congratulate them on such an amazing victory and 1/4 of those attacked me and 3/4 were appreciative of the comment and we talked for awhile.

We are the most livable city plus other #1 accolades and they get compared to Detroit all the time. They were upset when PNC bought up their primary bank. While we have similarities the primary things that move us above and beyond, Cleveland lacks. They can't get it together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh