Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 12:54 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,647,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgirl49 View Post
I've heard that the earthquake factor in CA plays a big role in the fact that basements are scarce.
I had never heard that. I think it's because the ground doesn't freeze in the winter there was no need to go so deep for the foundation. Older homes have basments because that was the wa things were done the. Most post WWII homes are suburban tract homes that builders want to put up as quickly and cheaply as possible. Not having a basement saves a ton of money in time, labor, and materials.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 11:38 AM

479 posts, read 1,237,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
I had never heard that. I think it's because the ground doesn't freeze in the winter there was no need to go so deep for the foundation. Older homes have basments because that was the wa things were done the. Most post WWII homes are suburban tract homes that builders want to put up as quickly and cheaply as possible. Not having a basement saves a ton of money in time, labor, and materials.
I think you are right in that basements are getting more rare in all parts of the country in newer homes because of the cost and labor involved. Still wish I had one though! You are lucky.

Old 06-23-2013, 02:10 PM

Hallelujah! I "fixed" the AC in my house. It seems someone had turned off the main switch to the fan unit in the basement. I turned it on and now I have blessed cool air in my house. However, the floor guys took the door to the attic down; the attic with the separate new AC unit that still doesn't work, so I have the cool air from the main part of the house going up into the hot attic. Better than no AC, but still far from perfect. Just got off the phone with the HVAC guy and he will be out early this week to figure out why the new attic unit isn't working. I'm going to tell my contractor to get the attic door back on its hinges ASAP. Baby steps to a functioning house.

Old 06-23-2013, 04:44 PM

1,273 posts, read 1,640,042 times
Just put a curtain or blanket .across...that will stop a lot. I really have to be cooking to turn on my ac. It really is nice how cool the house stays....with two foot stone walls. I am sure today feels a bit like hell to your SF blood. But I am sitting out back drinking a margarita.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:02 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
Hallelujah! I "fixed" the AC in my house. It seems someone had turned off the main switch to the fan unit in the basement. I turned it on and now I have blessed cool air in my house. However, the floor guys took the door to the attic down; the attic with the separate new AC unit that still doesn't work, so I have the cool air from the main part of the house going up into the hot attic. Better than no AC, but still far from perfect. Just got off the phone with the HVAC guy and he will be out early this week to figure out why the new attic unit isn't working. I'm going to tell my contractor to get the attic door back on its hinges ASAP. Baby steps to a functioning house.
That's not possible since heat rises unless you have a house fan in the attic sucking air up there. When we only cool one level, the cool air only goes halfway up the stairs. I always joke there should be a rain storm in the stairwell due to the weather front in the middle. If you believe cool air is going up there, just hang a sheet or blanket up. That's what people do to trap warm air on the first floor they don't want rising to the second floor. It works for that so it would certainly work for cooler air that doesn't rise into hotter spaces.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:36 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hinsey86 View Post
Just put a curtain or blanket .across...that will stop a lot. I really have to be cooking to turn on my ac. It really is nice how cool the house stays....with two foot stone walls. I am sure today feels a bit like hell to your SF blood. But I am sitting out back drinking a margarita.
Today has been nice.

It got a little uncomfortable in the late afternoon for physical activity, but it's nice for relaxing and drinking margaritas.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That's not possible since heat rises unless you have a house fan in the attic sucking air up there. When we only cool one level, the cool air only goes halfway up the stairs. I always joke there should be a rain storm in the stairwell due to the weather front in the middle. If you believe cool air is going up there, just hang a sheet or blanket up. That's what people do to trap warm air on the first floor they don't want rising to the second floor. It works for that so it would certainly work for cooler air that doesn't rise into hotter spaces.
There's AC on the first and second floors, but with no door to the hot attic, it's not as effective as it would be with that door closed. I have a separate new unit for the attic which isn't working. But even once it is working I won't use it unless I'm in the attic with the door closed. I'm going to be using the attic for an office/studio so I will be working there on a regular basis. Hopefully, the guys can get the door back on its hinges tomorrow. I had the entire house insulated so I can only imagine how hot it would have been without it. I certainly know how cold it can get since I lived in it for much of Dec through March before having it insulated in April.

I envy your stone walls. My basement is very cool.

It's getting dark now and cooling off a bit so I won't bother to put a blanket up now. Enjoy your Margarita.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:00 PM

Default HVAC Update

HVAC guy was here and discovered that two of the ducts were closed off in the basement. Now that they're open more cool air is flowing in. Nice.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:24 AM

Default Unpacking Stalled

Haven't unpacked much because thanks to Eau d'Chat and Eau d'Pooch, years of living in north facing homes in damp places, time in storage and in the moving van, my furniture has a decidedly funky aroma. A friend who restores antique furniture recommended Howard brand wood restoration products. I got up early and spent the morning polishing my bedroom furniture. I'm taking a break and letting it dry before I do the final coats. Not only does it look great, but it smells much better too!

I've also made an appointment to have the upholstered furniture cleaned. Someday I will be moved in and unpacked!

Vanity. Still need to re-attach the mirror. by onlythebestis, on Flickr

Dresser by onlythebestis, on Flickr

Armoire by onlythebestis, on Flickr

Old 07-02-2013, 08:15 AM

Default Progress!

I'm on a roll. After getting my bedroom furniture back in shape I was able to unpack boxes of clothes. But somehow only one box of hangers made it into the moving van so I'm off to buy more hangers today.

Had a bunch of tradespeople here yesterday. My wall ovens, refrigerator's ice maker, sink, and garbage disposal are all now functioning. Still need the cooktop and vent hood to be installed. Waiting on a part for the hood. So nice to have water in the kitchen again. The electricians got the kitchen, living room and dining room lighting completed. My restored chandeliers now work and have dimmers. I have under-cabinet lighting and a beautiful vintage pendant light over the island in the kitchen. They're working on my linen closet today. The end is in sight. Not a moment too soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh