Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 07:05 PM

21 posts, read 45,682 times

Advertisements

I hate Florida!! The economy stinks, there is little to no culture, the schools stink, and I hate 80-90 degree weather at Christmas!!
My fiance was born in Long Island and moved here when he was 9. He hates it here, too. We are planning a trip to Pittsburgh Thanksgiving week to look around. We have been looking at real estate on the Coldwell Banker site and are really impressed by the pricing. However, there are soooo many Boroughs and townships, that I am reeling with confusion!!

I am leaning towards West Mifflin, City of Greensburg, and a few others.
I have three young children and would like to be in a low crime area with good schools. Wouldn't we all?

I am fairly sure we will have to commute to town to get a good paying job.?
That's ok.

Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 07:16 PM

322 posts, read 300,296 times
Greensburg is nice. I always liked it, but it is about 35 miles out of Pittsburgh. It is a real nice central town though. Really the best thing to do is just drive around. Pittsburgh isn't like the sprawl belt. The towns and neighborhoods change going over hills, going across a river, etc. I like that about older northern towns though

Old 10-24-2007, 07:44 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,071,152 times
Quote:
The towns and neighborhoods change going over hills, going across a river, etc. I like that about older northern towns though
Very true.
Quote:
Greensburg is nice. I always liked it
I like Greensburg, too. This could have changed, but years ago they had a bad drug problem. You will have to poke around to see if that's changed, it very well might have. It's quite a nice city, though. Also, it largely depends on which area of Greensburg, it's a fairly large place. It has its own mini-suburbs, some of which are outstanding. It's the largest city in Westmoreland County, and your taxes there will be a lot lower than Allegheny County.

I'm not sure how good a school district Greensburg Salem is, though.

May I make a suggestion? I believe there might be two better areas for you.

There are two cities, also in Westmoreland County, that aren't terribly far from Greensburg. They are a both a bit north east of Greensburg and a bit closer to Pittsburgh. They both have VERY low crime, EXCELLENT schools, and are growing areas with some absolutely beautiful neighborhoods ranging from quite reasonable to expensive (don't forget, expensive to us is over $300,000 LOL).

The first is North Huntingdon. These kids go to Norwin school district. If you are on a budget, another town that goes to Norwin is a place called Irwin. It's not nearly as nice as North Huntingdon, but might be the ticket for a person on a budget.

The second, and my personal favorite, is the city of Murrysville. These kids go to Franklin Regional school district, probably the best district in Westmoreland County (and one of the best in Western PA). This is definitely an up-and-coming area that has seen sure and steady growth. There are LOTS of restaurants and easy access to Pittsburgh. Do yourself a favor and look into these places!
Quote:
Not necessarily.
Quote:
However, there are soooo many Boroughs and townships, that I am reeling with confusion!!
Whenever you have questions, just ask away! We'll help you! I will be here during Thanksgiving, too, and would love to show you around if you come up. Think about it! I'm a young guy in school at one of the universities downtown.

Last edited by guylocke; 10-24-2007 at 07:56 PM..

Old 10-24-2007, 08:20 PM

Quote:
I am leaning towards West Mifflin
I wouldn't really recommend west mifflin.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:01 AM

27 posts, read 143,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guylocke View Post
Very true.

I like Greensburg, too. This could have changed, but years ago they had a bad drug problem. You will have to poke around to see if that's changed, it very well might have. It's quite a nice city, though. Also, it largely depends on which area of Greensburg, it's a fairly large place. It has its own mini-suburbs, some of which are outstanding. It's the largest city in Westmoreland County, and your taxes there will be a lot lower than Allegheny County.

I'm not sure how good a school district Greensburg Salem is, though.

May I make a suggestion? I believe there might be two better areas for you.

There are two cities, also in Westmoreland County, that aren't terribly far from Greensburg. They are a both a bit north east of Greensburg and a bit closer to Pittsburgh. They both have VERY low crime, EXCELLENT schools, and are growing areas with some absolutely beautiful neighborhoods ranging from quite reasonable to expensive (don't forget, expensive to us is over $300,000 LOL).

The first is North Huntingdon. These kids go to Norwin school district. If you are on a budget, another town that goes to Norwin is a place called Irwin. It's not nearly as nice as North Huntingdon, but might be the ticket for a person on a budget.

The second, and my personal favorite, is the city of Murrysville. These kids go to Franklin Regional school district, probably the best district in Westmoreland County (and one of the best in Western PA). This is definitely an up-and-coming area that has seen sure and steady growth. There are LOTS of restaurants and easy access to Pittsburgh. Do yourself a favor and look into these places!

Not necessarily.

Whenever you have questions, just ask away! We'll help you! I will be here during Thanksgiving, too, and would love to show you around if you come up. Think about it! I'm a young guy in school at one of the universities downtown.

Very good information there, I'd agree on pretty much everything he said there, especially the part about Murrysville. If you're looking at West Mifflin and Greensburg then Murrysville might be perfect because it's basically right in the middle of those 2 places distance wise, is close to every major highway, and like he said Franklin Regional is an excellent school district.

Old 10-25-2007, 05:34 PM

7 posts, read 11,641 times
i am leaving florida also these people think it is bad in pit let them live in south florida

Old 10-25-2007, 07:49 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,036,171 times
Smile Areas to explore

If you are exploring the regions around Pittsburgh, you would be doing your family a disservice if you base your decision purely on the taxes. The best school districts in the region tend to be in the Allegheny County suburbs. I am talking about districts such as North Allegheny, Fox Chapel, Upper Saint Clair, Mt. Lebanon, Pine-Richland... I live in a 3500 square foot home in Allegheny County assessed at $210,000 and pay around $4500 in property taxes. I cannot beat the extraordinary education my 3 kids receive(d) at North Allegheny for the taxes I pay. The quality of life and the limited crime in these areas make them even more attractive.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:00 PM

That is somewhat true... ehhhh.....

If she looks into Franklin Regional in Westmoreland County, I am fairly certain that Franklin Regional can kick most of Allegheny's School Districts ass. :P

Norwin and Penn Trafford are also excellent schools, on par with most Allegheny offerings. I recommended her to check out all these places except the new growth in Penn Township which I hear is extremely expensive.

Of course, you could head south into Washington County, too, Peter's Township is doing very well for itself and I imagine Canon-Mac is also raising in ratings as a lot more wealth is heading to that area, as well.

You also have Adam's Township in Butler which doesn't have a school building older than about 10 years or so, LOL. It's definitely growing quickly in numbers and excellence.

But I do agree with you on the fact that Allegheny County should never be discredited because of taxes, it has some incredible things to offer.

She was looking into West Mifflin, so I imagine she hasn't black-balled Allegheny County.

Last edited by guylocke; 10-25-2007 at 08:09 PM..

Old 10-26-2007, 08:50 AM

101 posts, read 311,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertreefrog71 View Post
I hate Florida!! The economy stinks, there is little to no culture, the schools stink, and I hate 80-90 degree weather at Christmas!!
My fiance was born in Long Island and moved here when he was 9. He hates it here, too. We are planning a trip to Pittsburgh Thanksgiving week to look around. We have been looking at real estate on the Coldwell Banker site and are really impressed by the pricing. However, there are soooo many Boroughs and townships, that I am reeling with confusion!!

I have three young children and would like to be in a low crime area with good schools. Wouldn't we all?

That's ok.

Any advice?
It seems like FL is taking over Pittsburgh!! We're moving too!

Old 10-26-2007, 09:18 AM

2,039 posts, read 6,323,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertreefrog71 View Post

That's ok.

Any advice?
We used a company called "Presenting Pittsburgh" to show us around. I think it was like 70 bucks and they drove you everywhere to show you the sights and the suburbs!
Presenting Pittsburgh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh