Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2013, 06:51 AM

1,445 posts, read 1,972,514 times

Advertisements

OK, I might complain about the weather today here in the 'Burgh. Told my wife that I'd march with her and her company's group in the parade today but it's not looking good for that.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:08 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
I wouldn't say Pittsburgh has mild winters when compared to SF. But compared to Chicago, Detroit, Minneapolis, or Buffalo they are milder. Pittsburgh winters were as extreme as I wanted to get when I was doing my search for cheaper places to live.
Same here. As a person who is from Michigan, I routinely notice that Pittsburgh is about 10 degrees warmer all winter long than anywhere in lower Michigan.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I was in Seattle in late January. Surprisingly warm for a place so far north. But...it...drizzled...and...drizzled...and...drizz led...all...the...time!
I kinda liked that about the Pacific Northwest. Rain is more preferable than a constant sheet of snow that never melts away...(Michigan you won't see green for 3-4 months straight - dead trees and layers of snow across every lawn).

From what little I know of Pittsburgh, the snow melts often throughout the Winter. Which is already a step above further north Midwestern locales.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:28 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,646,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I kinda liked that about the Pacific Northwest. Rain is more preferable than a constant sheet of snow that never melts away...(Michigan you won't see green for 3-4 months straight - dead trees and layers of snow across every lawn).

From what little I know of Pittsburgh, the snow melts often throughout the Winter. Which is already a step above further north Midwestern locales.
This winter was my first here and the weather was as you described. People told me that is what it tends to be like most years, although there was the famous "Snowmageddon" a few years back. I found it very manageable. I'm sure there will be years when it is worse, but if what I experienced is typical, I can live with it. I actually enjoyed it. Snow is still a novelty to me. It's so quiet and pretty. My past experience was driving to Tahoe to ski. Now, that's a place where snow piles up!

Old 06-16-2013, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
This winter was my first here and the weather was as you described. People told me that is what it tends to be like most years, although there was the famous "Snowmageddon" a few years back. I found it very manageable. I'm sure there will be years when it is worse, but if what I experienced is typical, I can live with it. I actually enjoyed it. Snow is still a novelty to me. It's so quiet and pretty. My past experience was driving to Tahoe to ski. Now, that's a place where snow piles up!
I love snow as well, when it's actually snowing! Than it melts. Perfect!!

What I didn't like about Michigan snow, is the stuff never melts. It's not until March or April, than you see grass again. The snow isn't beautiful white either, when it's been sitting all witner. It's usually very dirty and mixed in with all types of gravel and garbage and everything else that was on the roads and plowed together.

Clean fresh white snow, that melts within a few days or so. Perfect!

Old 06-16-2013, 07:47 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
Not really a fair assessment. Your a die hard. Most people aren't. Claiming that Pittsburgh has mild winters is like me claiming Charlotte has mild temperate summers. No matter what you type. Fact is the winters are cold, with long stretches of cloudy days. Like I've said in prior posts. Pittsburgh is a great city. Has alot of great thing for a city of its size. Great weather isn't one of them though.
It is a very fair assessment and obviously my opinion. I am hardly a "die hard". If you want a real winter, head up to Buffalo or even Chicago. How about Minneapolis? We do have great weather if you like a variety. Who are you to tell me how to perceive the weather that I have lived in for decades? No one. Weather is personal. Nothing more. There are people who LOVE cloudy days. Some love sunshine. Some snow. Some love all weather. You don't dictate other people's thoughts on the weather. I gave MY opinion and it is not only a fair assessment for me, it is a correct one. Move to Florida.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:41 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,776,309 times
Is there any city in America where people whine about the weather more than Pittsburgh? I doubt it. I think it's part of "fitting in" here. Like rooting for the Steelers, speaking the local dialect, and making Pittsburgh lefts, I think complaining about the weather is just part of the culture.

I'm from Florida, and to me, Pittsburgh has a mild climate. Warm summers, cold but tolerable winters, and a mild spring and fall. Florida has 2 seasons. Mild and dry for 6 months, then excruciatingly hot, humid and stormy the other 6 months. I think Florida has the harsher climate. Of course, if you love the hot weather then you'll disagree. Everyone has different preferences.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I love snow as well, when it's actually snowing! Than it melts. Perfect!!

What I didn't like about Michigan snow, is the stuff never melts. It's not until March or April, than you see grass again. The snow isn't beautiful white either, when it's been sitting all witner. It's usually very dirty and mixed in with all types of gravel and garbage and everything else that was on the roads and plowed together.

Clean fresh white snow, that melts within a few days or so. Perfect!
My best friend in Chicago says the same about the snow there.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
Is there any city in America where people whine about the weather more than Pittsburgh? I doubt it. I think it's part of "fitting in" here. Like rooting for the Steelers, speaking the local dialect, and making Pittsburgh lefts, I think complaining about the weather is just part of the culture.

I'm from Florida, and to me, Pittsburgh has a mild climate. Warm summers, cold but tolerable winters, and a mild spring and fall. Florida has 2 seasons. Mild and dry for 6 months, then excruciatingly hot, humid and stormy the other 6 months. I think Florida has the harsher climate. Of course, if you love the hot weather then you'll disagree. Everyone has different preferences.
I'm with you, I prefer Pittsburgh weather to what they have in Florida. But obviously lots of people disagree judging by the numbers that flock to Florida.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:38 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
My work mates tell me September and October are often the best months in Pittsburgh weather wise, as humidity is lower and less rain than summer? I guess I'll find out 3 months or so.
Humidity is a little lower than in summer, but there's also less sunshine. Take a look at this:

http://www.city-data.com/city/Pittsb...nsylvania.html
Scroll down to climate data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post

It very common in the midwest for people to talk about, and complain about the weather. In Colorado, people talk about the weather incessantly, but most people like the variety, and I like the "wild" weather we get sometimes. Don't like the (infrequent) tornadoes though, and whenever there is a blizzard it seems like someone is always traveling and we have to worry about their safety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh