Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2013, 05:29 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,138,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkFlowerGarden View Post
I would say NOT to follow those growth guidelines of NC (Cranberry Township? Yuck). I remember when there were trailers around Lake Norman, the bottom edge of the city stopped at 51, the sky was a crystal blue, and Mint Hill was country.

I can't even stand to go back to NC. It is far too overdeveloped with cookie cutter subdivisions and shopping complexes for my taste. Pittsburgh should keep the communities small and character alive. That is the problem with most "new" Southern cities. They all look and feel the same. Again, look at SW Butler County for an example of how Pittsburgh should NOT to follow Southern Cities.
No no. When I say it would be good for Pittsburgh to identify what its characteristics are, that means Pittsburgh should identify what makes Pittsburgh...Pittsburgh...and stick with that as its guidelines. I'm not endorsing Pittsburgh to be lacking in character and identity and leaving that decision to developers and franchises.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:42 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,648,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
e-clips. This are not your Daddy's clip on sunglasses.

You pick your new frames, they make the glasses, send them to e-clips, they make exactly matching sunglasses in matching metals and problem is solved. At first they are very clumsy to put on and take off, but then you get good at it.

For about 40 bucks.

Can't beat it.
OMG, that is so cool! I have to get some. I have prescription sunglasses, but I never wear them because I hate having to switch from indoor to outdoor glasses. I've tried the photo-greys but they aren't dark enough. Thanks for the tip!

Old 06-10-2013, 12:51 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,648,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkFlowerGarden View Post
NC stopped being "southern" almost 20 years ago. Charlotte and Raleigh are full of transplants. There used to be a joke about NC being a suburb of Ohio. The politics have radically changed too. Both cities are run by Democrats.
If I'm not mistaken both Wells Fargo and Bank of America have their headquarters in Charlotte. Both used to be headquartered in San Francisco. Many San Francisco employees relocated when the banks moved. I would imagine the influx of people from a more liberal city would have a significant impact. I have a friend who works for BofA who had to go to Charlotte during the relocation. She transferred back to SF because at the time, almost 20 years ago, she felt it was too conservative and missed SF. The funny thing is she is one of the few Republicans in San Francisco. In fact, she had an advisory position on the status of women in CA for Republican Governor Dukmejian's administration. They say that conservatives in SF would be considered moderate to liberal elsewhere.

Old 06-10-2013, 04:32 AM

50 posts, read 101,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
If I'm not mistaken both Wells Fargo and Bank of America have their headquarters in Charlotte. Both used to be headquartered in San Francisco. Many San Francisco employees relocated when the banks moved. I would imagine the influx of people from a more liberal city would have a significant impact. I have a friend who works for BofA who had to go to Charlotte during the relocation. She transferred back to SF because at the time, almost 20 years ago, she felt it was too conservative and missed SF. The funny thing is she is one of the few Republicans in San Francisco. In fact, she had an advisory position on the status of women in CA for Republican Governor Dukmejian's administration. They say that conservatives in SF would be considered moderate to liberal elsewhere.
Actually, NationsBank took over Bank of America and moved the headquarters to Charlotte (even though bank leaders promised the city they wouldn't do that). I am sure the same thing happened with Wells Fargo and Wachovia (which used to be First Union). The banks were already established in the city so there were transfers but nothing that significant. The majority of divisions were cut in any merger, usually with the divisions from the other bank's cities losing the employees.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:52 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,585,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
Wells Fargo is Still headquarter in San Francisco. Their East coast operations hub is here in Charlotte, and the employ a ton of people. Charlotte is a very liberal city. Based on the make up of the city I doubt they will ever have another republican mayor.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:09 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,294,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
e-clips. This are not your Daddy's clip on sunglasses.

You pick your new frames, they make the glasses, send them to e-clips, they make exactly matching sunglasses in matching metals and problem is solved. At first they are very clumsy to put on and take off, but then you get good at it.

For about 40 bucks.

Can't beat it.
Thanks - I'll look into it when I get new glasses next year!

Old 06-10-2013, 11:38 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,860,274 times
This is interesting to learn that Charlotte is also becoming more liberal. From my visits to Raleigh, it almost seems more liberal than some northern cities. It amazes me how fast areas like Raleigh and Austin are changing and I know it will eventually have to influence the cost of living in these areas.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:14 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,294,597 times
Charlotte has become somewhat more liberal due to transplants, but it's also because a much larger percentage of residents are either African American or Hispanic than in Pittsburgh; and the entire county is way more diverse than Allegheny County.
My kids can't believe I went to a high school (Fox Chapel) with only one black kid in the entire school! (I hope FC has a few more nowadays!)

Old 06-10-2013, 02:15 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,556,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
Charlotte has become somewhat more liberal due to transplants, but it's also because a much larger percentage of residents are either African American or Hispanic than in Pittsburgh; and the entire county is way more diverse than Allegheny County.
My kids can't believe I went to a high school (Fox Chapel) with only one black kid in the entire school! (I hope FC has a few more nowadays!)
Had three in my school, things have changed.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:45 PM

479 posts, read 1,237,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Had three in my school, things have changed.
In Aliquippa in the 60's, I would say my high school was about 25% African-American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh