Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2013, 06:58 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Methinks your reading comprehension skills suck a big one, and that's putting it politely.

Somebody just said that the weather in Pittsburgh has been "crappy" for the last four months. Reread the ****ing post I quoted. If anything, I should have left January out and focused just on the last four months.

I used deductive reasoning when I grouped the partly cloudy days with the clear days. I asked myself, "Does the sun shine on partly cloudy days, yes or no?" Since the answer is "yes," and since everybody ******* about how the sun doesn't shine in Pittsburgh, I grouped the partly cloudy days with the clear days to create a set of all days with sunshine. Here's what a partly cloudy day looks like:

(Thanks, Copanut.)

Holy mother****; what's that stuff radiating from the left side of the picture?! And why is everybody out on the river enjoying it?! They should all be crying in their basements and slitting their wrists instead, because there are a couple of clouds in the sky!

Just because the sky isn't perfectly blue da-ba-dee like it is in the interior West doesn't mean that the sun can't shine. Go be obtuse somewhere else.
Well, that someone wasn't me, b/c I wasn't there. Below is the sum total of what I said about Denver's weather in this thread.

BTW, you didn't cite a link for your stats. Weather Underground, Weather History for Pittsburgh, PA | Weather Underground has the cloud cover broken into Partly Cloudy/Mostly Sunny and Mostly Cloudy/Partly Sunny. You're perfectly welcome to check for yourself. Please note I am placing no value judgement on the sky conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Maybe not, but as someone once said to me on a hot, humid Illinois summer day, "I don't have to shovel heat". I do have a cousin who lived in Arizona and worked as a teacher. She left AZ to visit her family in Wisconsin in the summers (until she got married). Yes, air-conditioning helped the sunbelt a great deal. I found this interesting in the Pew article:

But not all of the top-ranking towns among heat lovers have hot climates. Four in ten say they would like to live in Denver — the overall favorite place to live among the 30 cities tested. Indeed, Denver is just as popular as sun-baked Phoenix among hot-weather fans — and more popular than Las Vegas or Dallas. San Francisco, known for its fog and chilly summers, and Seattle, famous for its frequent rains, also are among the top choices of those who would prefer to live in hotter places, suggesting that climate is only one of several factors that people use in deciding where they would like to live.

Denver: Has a rep for being cold but really isn't. Highs in the winter months (Dec, Jan, Feb) are 46, 47, and 49 respectively. Lots of sunshine. Warm, sunny days between the snowstorms.
Average Weather for Denver, CO - Temperature and Precipitation

Seattle: Neither hot nor cold; has a nice summer (so I've heard).

SF: Julie can tell us about the SF weather better than I can.

I think people like an absence of cold, cloudy weather.
This was in response to an article I linked. And, it is what it is.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:31 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,669,143 times
Quote:
Somebody just said that the weather in Pittsburgh has been "crappy" for the last four months. Reread the ****ing post I quoted. If anything, I should have left January out and focused just on the last four months.
Thanks. Can't rep you. But that's what I'm always thinking when I see this crap.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
^^Good Grief! What a repping club!

Old 06-07-2013, 07:38 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,669,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghdude28 View Post
Gnutella obviously wasn't here the past 4 months to notice the medicore amounts of sunshine in April & May and the virtually sunless months of Jan, Feb, and Mar.
Dude, I was here, and you're full of it. I read all this crap on here about the nasty weather, so because of that I've been surprised for months and months at how many days with sunshine we had even all through the winter.

35-40% of days with sun is not "virtually sunless". I get that weather affects some people more than others, but geez, if I was going by what some people write here I would expect not to see the sun for months. And that's not even remotely the case.

People are throwing out single points of reference, like "OMG it was calling for snow on opening day!" But that hardly supports the remarks that 6 months are miserable. In a given year, anything can happen on a given day.

For that matter, even counting whole days doesn't give you a clear (hehe) picture. Because, if it was overcast a lot of the day, then it got really clear, how does it count? I actually don't know the answer, but I suspect it would count in partly cloudy.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:44 PM

50 posts, read 101,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
some of the underground music sub-scenes going on here smoke almost every other city in the country. Maybe not in size, but in quality and creativity.
I would say it stretches from Pittsburgh to Chautauqua County. There are so many talented musicians. It is insane. I have lived all over the country and never have I come across such a grass roots music scene. Maybe only New Orleans could compare.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:49 PM

50 posts, read 101,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsteel View Post
I lived in Austin for 12 years, and it went from kind of cool little peaceful college town, to congested mess filled with cookie cutter houses and strip malls. Construction everywhere. What a mess. Not a bad place to live, but certainly not a "top fiver" as every magazine would tell you. Amenities were debatable. If you brought the negatives up on a forum like this, you would get slammed and told over and over again about some lame park or quirky one block section of street with cool coffee shops and lame live music.

So to many people it was great, and they defend it because they live there, and that is probably how Pittsburgh, or (Fill in the blank) is to other people.
Asheville and Boone NC are the same way. Years ago they were amazing quirky little towns. Totally ruined now.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:28 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,245,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumbingMyWay View Post
Well PA weather is hardly 'harmless'. It's a leading state in road fatalities caused by icy conditions (from the limited stats I've seen, it's more dangerous to be outside in PA during winter than TN during tornado season, but anyway). Be careful on your bike this winter
I trust your statements above are researched with more rigor than your assertion about tornadoes missing Nashville (ie to quote your earlier post "I just have never heard of any tornadoes tearing up TN").

It's always good to cite/link to facts in such cases. I look forward to seeing these links to the 'limited facts' you mention above.

And while I appreciate your concerns about me (above), riding a bike virtually anywhere on the planet is almost certainly much more risky than living in a tornado belt. Summer or winter. And I do ride all winter BTW - good tires and clothes work just fine. I really enjoy it, and Pittsburgh riding is better than I expected in terms of drivers, roads, traffic. And its F&^%ing hilly

In comparison to you, I don't sit on forums complaining about life and making highly questionable assertions about places I've never been. It seems like a lack of 'research' is a common thread in your posts. After all, anyone who came to Pittsburgh expecting top quality skiing at Seven Springs (see your original post) is ill informed at best, slightly delusional, or at worst simply dumb.

In your case I suspect the former, as a tiny bit of research, experience and common sense would limit expectations of a 'mountain' with 750 ft vert, low elevation and that's near a reasonable size city. It's hard to hype in comparison to say, Whistler or Vail, the Alps, or even Snowshoe. All places you've never been. Regardless, I had a lot of fun at 7 Springs this winter, and I'm sure I will in the future. I wish it was bigger, snowier, less busy. But its not. Still, there's fun to be had, and on a good day some really nice skiing. Beats complaining about the weather on a forum any day ...

Last edited by gortonator; 06-07-2013 at 10:43 PM..

Old 06-08-2013, 08:16 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,722,236 times
Quote:

January-May 2013

Clear: 4
Ouch.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:06 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,096,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumbingMyWay View Post
I'm curious, where on the west coast did you live?

And why did you decide to move back east (i'm assuming to Pittsburgh?)/why do you prefer it here?
I lived in San Diego, Pacific Beach to be exact for four years. For the first six months I thought I was living in a post card, then it slowly dawns on you that you're not, things about this place suck too.

I left there for a variety of reasons but mostly I had no desire to stay, I had done it, and the things people loved about living there I guess I didn't value as highly.

Off the top of my head it was really expensive, even if you were doing OK income wise. People often talked about the "sunshine tax", where people will work for less since they want to live in SD so much.

I covered the weather in a previous post but the lack of seasons bothered me, not at first but eventually, and the dominant background color is brown not green; never got used to that.

I grew up in NY, all the rest of my family is still there and the distance cannot be underestimated. It's a haul to visit, either way. Not being on the East Coast always got to me a bit...always felt like I was missing things, everything was taped delayed. NFL games at 10am we weird.

I hated having to get in my car every day...all the time; traffic could be awesomely bad.

Some people on this forum ***** about the difficulty of buying a house in Pittsburgh but in San Diego it seemed a much greater burden and I had no desire to live in a place in the middle o fthe desert.

Why I chose Pittsburgh is another long post but the short version is that I wanted to lead the lifestyle that I do now and I knew it would afford me that opportunity. My wife and I own a great, 150 yr old rowhouse in a dense, urban, walkable neighborhood with friendly, supportive people around us and didn't have to break the bank to do so. The four of us (2 kids) walk into town every morning (that's the commute) and I've got the professional office job in a downtown that I always wanted. I'm rarely in my car. Pittsburgh gives me everything that I need a city to give me, personally, and on a more manageable scale.

Honestly, there's a lot of things, this post could be a very long one. I will say though, if you had asked me at 18, when I was a freshman at CMU if I'd be in Pittsburgh now, in my mid 30s, I probably would have laughed and told you no way. Your priorities and the things you emphasize change.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:19 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,245,161 times
Quote:
Methinks your reading comprehension skills suck a big one, and that's putting it politely.

I used deductive reasoning when I grouped the partly cloudy days with the clear days. I asked myself, "Does the sun shine on partly cloudy days, yes or no?" Since the answer is "yes," and since everybody ******* about how the sun doesn't shine in Pittsburgh, I grouped the partly cloudy days with the clear days to create a set of all days with sunshine.

[photo removed]

Holy mother****; what's that stuff radiating from the left side of the picture?! And why is everybody out on the river enjoying it?! They should all be crying in their basements and slitting their wrists instead, because there are a couple of clouds in the sky!

Just because the sky isn't perfectly blue da-ba-dee like it is in the interior West doesn't mean that the sun can't shine. Go be obtuse somewhere else.
Nice post

Here's another pic of those terrible, dark winter days.

The photos metadata says it was taken on Feb 17th 2013. My camera must be lying!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh