Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2013, 07:24 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I would say 'yes' it does offer more. Mostly because Pittsburgh was built to be a much bigger city, and has significantly better 'bones' to it.

Indianpolis is way too spread out...it's flat and surrounded by cornfields.

Raleigh, Charlotte, Nashville...differnent mindset of people. Southern is just culturally different. If a person shares that thinking and political bent, than it's fine.

Cincinnati seems to have many characteristics, as a city, that I like Pittsburgh. But, Cincinnati has some socially conservative politics that I don't like either, and apparently some ugly racial tensions.

Everywhere is just a little different, and Pittsburgh has some nice 'northern' and 'northeastern' qualities that I personally like. But, it sounds like you might need to experience something different, so anywhere is fine really, for your situation.
IIRC, you've never even been to Pittsburgh. While much of what you say may be true, reserve judgement until you go to Pgh and "smell the roses".

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 06-09-2013 at 08:16 AM..

Old 06-09-2013, 09:10 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,858,573 times
Quote:

Raleigh, Charlotte, Nashville...differnent mindset of people. Southern is just culturally different. If a person shares that thinking and political bent, than it's fine.
What are you are saying about Charlotte and Nashville may be true, but it is not even close to the case in Raleigh. Every time that I have visited Raleigh I have met more northern transplants than southerners and the culture is very different than that of a traditional southern city. In fact I have met several former Pittsburghers in Raleigh and many of them are already Yinzin the place up

Old 06-09-2013, 11:24 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
IIRC, you've never even been to Pittsburgh. While much of what you say may be true, reserve judgement until you go to Pgh and "smell the roses".
IIRC = if you recall correctly?

My first visit to Pittsburgh was as a young adult in 1988, and been there other times as well, as recently as 2012. I have at least a dozen photos in the Pittsburgh photo thread as more proof. So, in short, no, I guess you didn't recall correctly.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 06-09-2013 at 11:50 AM..

Old 06-09-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
IIRC = if you recall correctly?

My first visit to Pittsburgh was as a young adult in 1988, and been there other times as well, as recently as 2012. I have at least a dozen photos in the Pittsburgh photo thread as more proof. So, in short, no, I guess you didn't recall correctly.
Sorry! I stand corrected. I believe when you first started posting on this forum, you hadn't been to Pgh in a long time, anyway. But, given my track record, I could be wrong about that too.

In any event, I agree with track2514 about Raleigh. There is some thread about liberal cities in conservative states, and Raleigh is on that list. I have a cousin from Beaver Falls, CMU grad, who has lived there for years. In fact, I know a number of people from various places who either live now in Raleigh or lived there and love it!

Old 06-09-2013, 12:28 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
I also notice a Pittsburgh-Raleigh connection theme as well.

Actually, I notice many people move from the Northern climate southward, and Raleigh seems to be on that list of 'better weather' alternative destinations for people from colder areas who value exactly that. I've had two of my own Michigan cousins live in Raleigh as well for awhile. Neither of which are there now though. One returned north, and the other went further south to Florida.

I think every city has it's plusses and negatives. I think what attracts people to Pittsburgh, aren't things that the OP finds attractive. For me personally, a city like Raleigh is too car-centric, and too spread out.

But, based on the fact that the mass majority of Americans don't seem to mind that at all, than those types of negatives would be largely irrelevant to most other people.

Old 06-09-2013, 01:40 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
I hate hot weather so much that I prefer cloudy weather in summer. Also the sun bothers my eyes - since I wear glasses, sunglasses don't work. Yes I know I can get prescription sunglasses but it's expensive. I know however that I am in the minority on this issue.
e-clips. This are not your Daddy's clip on sunglasses.

You pick your new frames, they make the glasses, send them to e-clips, they make exactly matching sunglasses in matching metals and problem is solved. At first they are very clumsy to put on and take off, but then you get good at it.

For about 40 bucks.

Can't beat it.

Old 06-09-2013, 01:54 PM

50 posts, read 101,745 times
Quote:
NC stopped being "southern" almost 20 years ago. Charlotte and Raleigh are full of transplants. There used to be a joke about NC being a suburb of Ohio. The politics have radically changed too. Both cities are run by Democrats.

Old 06-09-2013, 02:28 PM

^^This. At least 20 years ago. My cousin, who I referenced above, has been in Raleigh ~ 40 years. He originally went there from Pittsburgh for his then-wife to go to med school. They divorced, but he liked it so much, he stayed, despite having NO family there. Back in the 80s and 90s, when I saw him more (long story) he was all the time talking about the "quality of life" down there. Many agree, apparently. I've been there. It's nice, relatively near the mountains and ocean, has several universities. Research Triangle Park has been a high-tech center for a long time.

Old 06-09-2013, 02:45 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,135,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkFlowerGarden View Post
NC stopped being "southern" almost 20 years ago. Charlotte and Raleigh are full of transplants. There used to be a joke about NC being a suburb of Ohio. The politics have radically changed too. Both cities are run by Democrats.
There's sort of a Charlotte-Greensboro-Raleigh crescent forming in NC. Rapid but spread out growth. Like Atlanta, being filled in with subdivisions, strip shopping centers, and malls. Very much lacking in character and identity as franchises and corporations place their imprints there.

It would be good for Pittsburgh to identify what its characteristics are and direct any growth to follow those guidelines.

Old 06-09-2013, 05:00 PM

50 posts, read 101,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
There's sort of a Charlotte-Greensboro-Raleigh crescent forming in NC. Rapid but spread out growth. Like Atlanta, being filled in with subdivisions, strip shopping centers, and malls. Very much lacking in character and identity as franchises and corporations place their imprints there.

It would be good for Pittsburgh to identify what its characteristics are and direct any growth to follow those guidelines.
I would say NOT to follow those growth guidelines of NC (Cranberry Township? Yuck). I remember when there were trailers around Lake Norman, the bottom edge of the city stopped at 51, the sky was a crystal blue, and Mint Hill was country.

I can't even stand to go back to NC. It is far too overdeveloped with cookie cutter subdivisions and shopping complexes for my taste. Pittsburgh should keep the communities small and character alive. That is the problem with most "new" Southern cities. They all look and feel the same. Again, look at SW Butler County for an example of how Pittsburgh should NOT to follow Southern Cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh