Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2013, 07:27 PM

654 posts, read 945,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
The streets in the eastern stretches of Spring Hill- Romanoff, Rockledge, Harbor- all seem to be in pretty decent shape. I'd agree that Deutchtown east of I279, the western sector of Spring Hill, Spring Garden and City View are all pretty much a mess.
Yeah, it's a shame, they are in pretty rough shape. However, in time, I think that will change. IMO East Deutschtown will gentrify, although not to the degree to which West Deutschtown has gentrified (is gentrifying). It can't, of course, since literally half of the housing stock is gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 07:32 PM

654 posts, read 945,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
The streets in the eastern stretches of Spring Hill- Romanoff, Rockledge, Harbor- all seem to be in pretty decent shape. I'd agree that Deutchtown east of I279, the western sector of Spring Hill, Spring Garden and City View are all pretty much a mess.
Harbor St., by the way, is a really nice street. I looked at a home there, a cute house from the '20s--not really historic, but cute nonetheless. However, it had two big problems: major water intrusion in the basement and a floor in the bathroom that didn't feel too sturdy.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:02 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest View Post
Actually, I'm glad you mentioned Section 8, because that's another thing we need to rid ourselves of. There are far too many decaying Section 8 houses in Pittsburgh. Many of these dwellings, I am sure, are from the 19th century. If the historically-significant ones were renovated, they'd be beautiful again. However, the greedy landlords won't sell them (that would be a loss of income), won't fix them up (for obvious reasons), and the moocher Section 8 welfare/foodstamp-type tenants continually trash them, so the end result is a home that falls into disrepair (only the most basic of repairs are made).
Most/all tenants trash places to some degree. Students are notorious for this, but renters with kids or pets, regardless of their income, usually cause physical damage to apartments. The lack of maintenance on major structural issues, however, solely rests on the owner. The renter can't cause the roof to fail after all, and is probably pestering the owner about things like leaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
I think much of the lower North Side is going to gentrify rapidly. However, the prospects for Spring Garden and Spring Hill seem rather dim. The housing is in horrible condition, for the most part, and only a few stand a chance of being properly restored. Troy Hill will only get better. It never fell too far. East Deutschtown is already half demolished, and half of the surviving housing is falling apart.
Agreed on Troy Hill. I do have to say I've been noticing more tricked-out houses for say in East Deutchtown these days at fairly high prices though. For example, this and this (not to mention this one which sold last year). Maybe a few people are mistakenly trying to flip on the wrong side of the highway, but if developers think there is a market in East Deutchtown for $150,000 houses, the future should be somewhat bright.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:54 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,035,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Agreed on Troy Hill. I do have to say I've been noticing more tricked-out houses for say in East Deutchtown these days at fairly high prices though. For example, this and this (not to mention this one which sold last year). Maybe a few people are mistakenly trying to flip on the wrong side of the highway, but if developers think there is a market in East Deutchtown for $150,000 houses, the future should be somewhat bright.
Ugh, those renovations are horrible. Hollow 6-panel doors have no place in a historic home. I even object to drywall, unless the original plaster suffered some kind of obscene damage. If you can retain the original decorative trim, drywall can look okay. Some people think they can renovate a historic home to McMansion standards and that is better than the original. Not me. One of the luxuries of an older home is the classic feel, real wood, and workmanship.

When I was hunting around for contractors to redo the walls in my kitchen, most told me they were going to screw up drywall over the old plaster and "all that old trim will have to go." NEXT. I ended up doing the work myself, painting it now, and it's beautiful, unevenness and all. 106 years of character in those walls.

Old 06-30-2013, 10:09 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
Ugh, those renovations are horrible. Hollow 6-panel doors have no place in a historic home. I even object to drywall, unless the original plaster suffered some kind of obscene damage. If you can retain the original decorative trim, drywall can look okay. Some people think they can renovate a historic home to McMansion standards and that is better than the original. Not me. One of the luxuries of an older home is the classic feel, real wood, and workmanship.

When I was hunting around for contractors to redo the walls in my kitchen, most told me they were going to screw up drywall over the old plaster and "all that old trim will have to go." NEXT. I ended up doing the work myself, painting it now, and it's beautiful, unevenness and all. 106 years of character in those walls.
I didn't say anything about liking the work that was done on those houses, although I only find the second one really objectionable.

In Lawrenceville it's now gotten very trendy to buy a "dated" house, gut it to the studs, leave exposed brick on the party walls, and construct a new drywall structure for the internal walls and stairs. Then add a McMansion kitchen and bathroom. Viola!

We went to the trouble of finding a plasterer to restore and smooth things out in several rooms. Only places with drywall are the kitchen (we needed a flat wall to hang cabinets), and the attic (the plaster was in such bad shape, and had so many layers of flaking paint, a gut job was needed).

Old 06-30-2013, 10:19 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,035,351 times
Quote:
I didn't say anything about liking the work that was done on those houses, although I only find the second one really objectionable.
I know. I wasn't directing my frustration at you.

I see at least three problems with the exterior of the house on Concord. First of all, there are some hideous white PVC pipes going up the front wall. Second, the railing is made out of a 2x4. Third, the side wall is covered with ghastly white vinyl siding. On a brick house. Also, the windows are wrong. On the interior, you have the wrong baseboards throughout. For that price point in that neighborhood, the house should be exceptional, and these errors are unacceptable.

While the problems of the first house are fixable, the house on Tripoli is an absolute train wreck. Take that vinyl crap back to Lowe's, where it belongs.

Old 06-30-2013, 10:20 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,646,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest View Post
Actually, I'm glad you mentioned Section 8, because that's another thing we need to rid ourselves of. There are far too many decaying Section 8 houses in Pittsburgh. Many of these dwellings, I am sure, are from the 19th century. If the historically-significant ones were renovated, they'd be beautiful again. However, the greedy landlords won't sell them (that would be a loss of income), won't fix them up (for obvious reasons), and the moocher Section 8 welfare/foodstamp-type tenants continually trash them, so the end result is a home that falls into disrepair (only the most basic of repairs are made).
I don't know how it is enforced here, but in CA the requirements for section 8 landlords are pretty stringent and the homes are often in better shape than many in the same neighborhoods. I had a friend who took section 8 renters because the were the best tenants he could get for his property that was in a very depressed neighborhood. He said the section 8 requirements were somewhat of a pain, but the gov't. made sure that the rent was paid. This was better than what he had to deal with otherwise.

Old 06-30-2013, 10:53 PM

1,320 posts, read 2,698,961 times
My concern about row homes is fire. In the Philly area there have been fires where the entire block burns down.

Old 06-30-2013, 11:51 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times
This was my Grandmother's home--

https://www.google.com/maps?q=&layer...ed=0CC4QxB0wAA

Its now abandonded. I wish I could buy it, or, at least have a sceance in it!

Its the brown house.

Here's a house similar to my GM house, this one is restored. It shows what is possible

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/30...93627137_zpid/

Last edited by MaryleeII; 07-01-2013 at 12:14 AM..

Old 07-01-2013, 12:09 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
The first one is awful. The materials used were super cheap, especially the hideous flooring throughout.

The second one is a shame because they didn't retain the woodwork or at least replace with something period appropriate. That stairwell with no banister is just sad. Buyers will like the quality of the work and materials. That's why flippers destroy old houses.

Some really weird things were done to the third one that sold. It can be saved since they kept the original woodwork.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh