Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 12:12 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,989,295 times

Advertisements

It's hard to imagine that during Carnegie's boyhood, libraries were for the rich and there were no free ones. I still love walkiing up the marble steps to the main library in Oakland and seeing "Free to the People" engraved over the entrance on the building. I can't imagine life without libraries. You can take out and return as many books, CDs, DVDs, and sheet music as you want FOR FREE! (Yes, I know my taxes pay for it, but it's one of those things that make society civilized).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 05:49 AM

10,230 posts, read 16,884,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
It's hard to imagine that during Carnegie's boyhood, libraries were for the rich and there were no free ones. I still love walkiing up the marble steps to the main library in Oakland and seeing "Free to the People" engraved over the entrance on the building. I can't imagine life without libraries. You can take out and return as many books, CDs, DVDs, and sheet music as you want FOR FREE! (Yes, I know my taxes pay for it, but it's one of those things that make society civilized).
the rich might be a bit if a stretch but you did have to pay. ben franklin began subscription libraries not for the rich but for people who wanted to improve their lives because at the time books were very expensive. interestingly carnegie could have easily afforded a subscription with money from his job at the pennsylvania railroad but it just bugged him people had to pay to inprove themselves

Old 08-05-2013, 07:59 AM

90,295 posts, read 121,148,085 times
Beaver Falls has a Carnegie Library. My mom once heard one woman say to another, "I'll never go in there. That place was built on the back of the working man".

Old 08-05-2013, 08:20 AM

510 posts, read 909,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Beaver Falls has a Carnegie Library. My mom once heard one woman say to another, "I'll never go in there. That place was built on the back of the working man".
Wow, she really showed him!

Old 08-05-2013, 08:26 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,164,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Can't think of a better way to get the money back by going inside and using it.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:38 AM

90,295 posts, read 121,148,085 times
My mom nor I agree with this woman, but there was more anti-Carnegie sentiment than you might think. This happened, oh, maybe 60 years ago or so.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Things were different back then. Now, somebody in the same position would run TV ads warning you to be afraid if anybody talks to you about a union and comparing the EPA to the SS.
Well, Detroit was a union enclave and look at them now. Pittsburgh was too and its industries collapsed.

And the EPA has added so much cost as you have to get past them first to do any building.

Each have their place but the problem is in their extension for more and more power. Which probably characterized Carnegie too but later was repulsed by it. Organizations however are a different thing. Unions want more and more members, the EPA more and more control, the NAACP wants perpetual racial strife...sort of like Castro and his perpetual "revolution" in Cuba.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:24 PM

24 posts, read 55,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Well, Detroit was a union enclave and look at them now. Pittsburgh was too and its industries collapsed.

And the EPA has added so much cost as you have to get past them first to do any building.

Each have their place but the problem is in their extension for more and more power. Which probably characterized Carnegie too but later was repulsed by it. Organizations however are a different thing. Unions want more and more members, the EPA more and more control, the NAACP wants perpetual racial strife...sort of like Castro and his perpetual "revolution" in Cuba.
You're right, who needs the EPA...

Hell with the lid taken off: The pictures of bygone Pittsburgh and its residents choking under clouds of thick smog | Mail Online

Old 08-07-2013, 08:37 AM

No...I didn't say we don't need the EPA. The problem is when they regulate excessively. And Pittsburgh cleaned up its act without the EPA.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:19 AM

654 posts, read 948,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post

All excellent points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh