Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 05:44 PM

322 posts, read 300,186 times

Advertisements

uhhhhhh, architects don't do historical renovations? That is new to me. Also, I know what I was thinking about also. I really don't know what you are talking about Pittsburgh neighborhoods. It just sounds like you are a bitter and mad guy. Quit trying to act like your opinion is more valid because you were a "one time architecture student." I know many real architects who would beg to differ. I know it isn't Chicago or N.Y., but calling Pittsburgh bland in it's architecture is one of the most uneducated things I have ever heard. I don't care if you were a "one time" architecture student or not.

Old 11-14-2007, 05:47 PM

You are also talking to a person who works at one of the largest Pittsburgh architecture firms that does work around this city and country. Most of the work that architects do is historic renovations. I really don't understand that whole logic you have that architecture isn't for you because they don't do historic renovations...... Maybe architectural engineering would be a stronger point in historic renovations, but this also takes a architecture degree.........

Old 11-14-2007, 05:48 PM

491 posts, read 1,433,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagger Lee View Post
uhhhhhh, architects don't do historical renovations? That is new to me. Also, I know what I was thinking about also. I really don't know what you are talking about Pittsburgh neighborhoods. It just sounds like you are a bitter and mad guy. Quit trying to act like your opinion is valid because you were a "one time architecture student." I know many real architects who would beg to differ. I know it isn't Chicago or N.Y., but calling Pittsburgh bland in it's architecture is one of the most uneducated things I have ever heard. I don't care if you were a "one time" architecture student or not.
And I don't care that you are a pittsburgher. That also makes your opinion no more well deserved. That wasn't the point. The point was that I don't need to 'pick up a book on architecture' as i know plenty.

I have driven around every neighborhood in the city even the horrid ones, and except for a few, most have cookiecut housing. I agree that there are some nice buildings, I have already stated that. But alot of the old homes from the late 1800s and early 1900s look much alike. that isn't exciting. I wouldn't say the architecture is any better than any other rust belt city. Yeah, its better than some of the newer cities in the south or west, but that isn't hard to beat.

Old 11-14-2007, 05:50 PM

Quote:
You are also talking to a person who works at one of the largest Pittsburgh architecture firms that does work around this city and country. Most of the work that architects do is historic renovations. I really don't understand that whole logic you have that architecture isn't for you because they don't do historic renovations...... Maybe architectural engineering would be a stronger point in historic renovations, but this also takes a architecture degree.........
Wow, how exciting.
Well, I wanted to change to architectural history, but didn't want to change schools and figured I could always do the restoration work I wanted to as a developer. So I went in an entire different direction for my degree.

Old 11-14-2007, 05:53 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oktaren View Post
And I don't care that you are a pittsburgher. That also makes your opinion no more well deserved. That wasn't the point. The point was that I don't need to 'pick up a book on architecture' as i know plenty.

I have driven around every neighborhood in the city even the horrid ones, and except for a few, most have cookiecut housing. I agree that there are some nice buildings, I have already stated that. But alot of the old homes from the late 1800s and early 1900s look much alike. that isn't exciting. I wouldn't say the architecture is any better than any other rust belt city. Yeah, its better than some of the newer cities in the south or west, but that isn't hard to beat.
Sounds just like Denver.

Old 11-14-2007, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Sounds just like Denver.
I have never been to denver, but i think it might be present in alot of cities. There isn't really anything wrong with it, but its definitely not an architectural wonder.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:02 PM

[quote=oktaren;2000326]The point was that I don't need to 'pick up a book on architecture' as i know plenty.
quote]

The intellectual quality of this forum...........................

Old 11-14-2007, 06:04 PM

[quote=Stagger Lee;2000467]
Quote:
Originally Posted by oktaren View Post
The point was that I don't need to 'pick up a book on architecture' as i know plenty.
quote]

The intellectual quality of this forum...........................
is lower because of you? yeah, we know...

Old 11-14-2007, 06:07 PM

Only on suburbinite-forum you can find the intellectual conversations arguing places like Point Breeze, Shadyside, Squirel hill, THE MEXICAN WARSTREETS, the south side, Mt. Washington, Lawerenceville, Oakland, Friendship, and more are bland. This forum is so weak.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:09 PM

[quote=oktaren;2000478]
Quote:

is lower because of you? yeah, we know...
Wow, what a witty comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh