Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 05:04 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,034,334 times

Advertisements

Southern Indiana is really pretty. It's covered bridge country and hilly. There are lots of cute small towns to explore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 05:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Chicago, but it's flat. It is on Lake Michigan, however, and there's LOTS to do.

You could also try:
Mammoth Cave National Park - Mammoth Cave National Park in Kentucky. Cool place.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:03 PM

146 posts, read 216,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlstreet View Post
Asheville, NC is larger but feels small and offer plenty to do outdoors, quaint shops, etc... I'm sure there are nice little towns in that area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
North of Asheville just off the Blue Ridge Parkway is the beautiful town of Blowing Rock. It is however somewhat upscale with pricey antique and gift shops.. Lots of camping, cabins, hiking nearby. Grandfather mountain a short distance away.
I third the recommendation of the Asheville Area. Black Mountain is about 15-20 minutes east of Asheville and is another really cute, retreaty kind of town. Downtown Asheville and the surrounding towns have lots of character and are very artsy. It's also a great foodie town, if you're into that. The Blue Ridge Parkway runs right through it for great drives, and your dog will love the hikes. Looking Glass Rock is one of the spectacular ones, between Asheville and Brevard.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:15 PM

146 posts, read 216,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Or, not small, but still cool, Ann Arbor. Again I don't know where to stay, but pick the town first if the town is key. Although, it's kinda flat in that vicinity really.
I love Ann Arbor—it's worth a trip just to go to Zingerman's. It's hilly for SE Michigan, but still pretty flat and not near water, unless you count the river. You might be able to find a cabin in one of the surrounding small rural towns. I would go in summer if you visit, to catch the summer festival and the art fair, and to avoid football season and students.

How about Ithaca, NY? The Finger Lakes are beautiful and you'll have gorges and hills and water all there, plus a cute college town. Beautiful but not strenuous hiking and waterfalls. There are some good wineries along Cayuga and Seneca Lakes, and you might be able to find a wine tour.

There's also the Charlottesville, VA area. Again, if you're interested in wine tours, I know people who run a company specializing in them in the area.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:10 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
I'm loving all of these ideas!

I'm so torn between so many of them. I might plot out a route where I can see a few places.

It seems I can get a cabin almost anywhere. Every town mentioned has cabin rentals within a reasonable drive.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:12 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabinekotaro View Post
How about Ithaca, NY? The Finger Lakes are beautiful and you'll have gorges and hills and water all there, plus a cute college town. Beautiful but not strenuous hiking and waterfalls. There are some good wineries along Cayuga and Seneca Lakes, and you might be able to find a wine tour.
I can't do upstate NY. I spent my last three winters in Vermont. I hope I never drive through upstate NY again.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:15 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
If you go to Chicago, you can get a cabin in Door County, WI which isn't far away. Should be lovely in a week or two.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:17 PM

462 posts, read 1,210,437 times
We love Gatlinburg area. Was in habit of going once a year when we lived in metro Atlanta area. Great small town with outer perimeter of misc craft/artisan shops. Gorgeous mountains, great hiking. We always took our small 2 dogs with no problems. We always arranged cabin rentals through Jackson Mountain Homes....which we found via Southern Living magazine.

Hope to go back again soon.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:33 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,292,682 times
The problem with Gatlinburg is that one usually approaches it via Pigeon Forge which is as ugly a strip as any I've ever seen. I much prefer the NC side of the mountains.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:34 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,186,759 times
A closer option would be near Berkley Springs, WV. Tons of cabin rentals, it is a gorgeous area, and Berkley Springs has some decent shops. And you are only a short drive over to Shepardstown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh