U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 12-10-2007, 11:52 AM
 
2,902 posts, read 7,047,746 times
Reputation: 398

Advertisements

Butler County is an interesting place. Southern Butler County is made up of 5 Townships. Just like this:

[1][2][3][4][5]

The Townships are quite literally stacked side-by-side like that are are even gridded as squares so my little representation is practically totally accurate. Those boxes represent the bottom row of Butler County Townships. The most famous, of course, is [1] which is Cranberry. Cranberry is the south west tip of the county and has the most convenient access to the city via 79/279.

Now, ANYTHING below those 5 townships is in Allegheny County.

We all know Cranberry [1] is booming. However, it's most definitely spilled into neighboring [2] Adam's Township (Mars). I believe in the coming years, Adam's may actually surpass Cranberry.

What I want to know is, do people expect this growth to slowly continue across all 5 of those lower Townships due to their proximity to Allegheny County and Pittsburgh?

I know [5] Buffalo Township is also growing, but not quite to the extent as Cranberry or Adam's. Buffalo Township actually touches Allegheny County and Westmoreland County. Sarver is one particular town in Buffalo Township that is growing quite heavily.

What about [3] Middlesex Township and [4] Clinton Township? Does anyone know if these area's are experiencing any growth? Is Adam's already spilling into Middlesex?

Anyway, I'm not sure why I'm fascinated by such things, but I am. :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-10-2007, 12:21 PM
 
Location: Oakland CA
7,615 posts, read 10,644,758 times
Reputation: 8363
Quote:
Originally Posted by guylocke View Post
Butler County is an interesting place. Southern Butler County is made up of 5 Townships. Just like this:

[1][2][3][4][5]

The Townships are quite literally stacked side-by-side like that are are even gridded as squares so my little representation is practically totally accurate. Those boxes represent the bottom row of Butler County Townships. The most famous, of course, is [1] which is Cranberry. Cranberry is the south west tip of the county and has the most convenient access to the city via 79/279.

Now, ANYTHING below those 5 townships is in Allegheny County.

We all know Cranberry [1] is booming. However, it's most definitely spilled into neighboring [2] Adam's Township (Mars). I believe in the coming years, Adam's may actually surpass Cranberry.

What I want to know is, do people expect this growth to slowly continue across all 5 of those lower Townships due to their proximity to Allegheny County and Pittsburgh?

I know [5] Buffalo Township is also growing, but not quite to the extent as Cranberry or Adam's. Buffalo Township actually touches Allegheny County and Westmoreland County. Sarver is one particular town in Buffalo Township that is growing quite heavily.

What about [3] Middlesex Township and [4] Clinton Township? Does anyone know if these area's are experiencing any growth? Is Adam's already spilling into Middlesex?

Anyway, I'm not sure why I'm fascinated by such things, but I am. :P
As the door mat says "Well , butter my butt and call me a biscuit!" I had no idea that Butler County bordered Westmoreland County anywhere.

Westmoreland County Pennsylvania, Township Map (http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/maps/pa/county/westmo/usgs/ - broken link)

And it does.

If you ever need a quick, accurate map of townships and counties -- the rootsweb stuff is great. Since I look up genealogy stuff all the time, Google knows to bring them up for me. And I don't think that stuff has changed over the years -- this stuff was pretty much set in stone by the 1800's.

I've been going over the land grant stuff online trying to find my great (9) grandfather's stuff -- going back to 1750, things AREN'T in stone -- there was no Somerset County, it was all Bedford County. I wasted two hours looking for Somerset County... in old fashioned writing. When I found that out, I went to Bedford and there it was .... not called what the history said it was called -- the land tract was called Cherryburgh, not The Three Hills.

May be time to hit the LDS center again...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2007, 12:27 PM
 
2,902 posts, read 7,047,746 times
Reputation: 398
Quote:
As the door mat says "Well , butter my butt and call me a biscuit!" I had no idea that Butler County bordered Westmoreland County anywhere.
First of all, that was hilarious. Second of all, yep!! It does!! Lower Burrell, where I am from originally, is very close to Butler County. That area of Butler across the river from Westmoreland County is experiencing a lot of growth, too. Like I said, that's Buffalo Township and Sarver is becoming really beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2007, 01:17 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
2,162 posts, read 2,685,861 times
Reputation: 1037
I think the growth will continue in the southern tier of townships in Butler County, and also going north along the I-79 corridor. We travel north every weekend in the summer and can see it spreading further and further every year. I think the key is that there are a lot of exits along 79, so developers are building homes in close proximity to the highway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2007, 01:38 PM
 
93 posts, read 197,574 times
Reputation: 24
I think the future (of these areas) depends on continued access to cheap oil. If gasoline increases significantly, there will be more centralization with a corresponding growth in urban areas. I think the perpetual growth that many people expect is a mirage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2007, 01:54 PM
 
2,902 posts, read 7,047,746 times
Reputation: 398
Quote:
If gasoline increases significantly, there will be more centralization with a corresponding growth in urban areas. I think the perpetual growth that many people expect is a mirage.
I think alternative fuels will be viable before that becomes a huge issue, but you could be right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2007, 08:55 PM
 
Location: Oakland CA
7,615 posts, read 10,644,758 times
Reputation: 8363
Quote:
Originally Posted by guylocke View Post
First of all, that was hilarious. Second of all, yep!! It does!! Lower Burrell, where I am from originally, is very close to Butler County. That area of Butler across the river from Westmoreland County is experiencing a lot of growth, too. Like I said, that's Buffalo Township and Sarver is becoming really beautiful.
Well -- it's not original! Butter My Biscuit Indoor/Outdoor Doormat - Doormats at Door Mat Source

Awhile ago there was a great cool ranch house in Adams Twp for sale for 400K -- very Eichler. As long as it's not TOO "Cranberried" I might look there, too....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:06 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top