Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 12:28 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,959,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
I don't think that the NRA is against reporting lost and stolen guns, they are just against mandating it. And with some lost or stolen guns, the owners don't necessarily know that the weapons were lost or stolen.

I think the real problem with this legislation is that it just isn't likely to be effective at reducing violence, and even more draconian laws are likely to be shortly down the road. If advocates like the Brady Campaign were to just stick to modest changes in the law, and openly endorse the ownership and carrying of firearms by law-abiding citizens- they'd get a lot more cooperation from the NRA and gunowners. Right now, it looks like the proverbial "slippery slope" toward gun confiscation.

We are not talking about lost or stolen guns though. We have brand new guns still in the box being sold to inner city kids. Gun manufacturers as well as the illegal dealers profit. There are many different roots to this problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 03:38 PM

618 posts, read 692,400 times
Quote:
Theoretically, it could help the police. But in reality, probably not- its just too much information.

The police already get "hot lists" of stolen automobiles, yet the amount of information is just too much for them to handle and process.

A colleague had her distinctive 4000 lb automobile stolen and the perps drove it 3000 miles around town for a whole month before police were able to recover it. And the police officer who did, didn't see it on the lists, they just thought it was odd that 20 something young black guys would be driving it in the Hill District and that it was out of place. So he stopped them, and found it on the list afterwards.

How much more difficult, and how much longer would it take to find a concealable 2 pound handgun? I don't see much fruit, just a lot of paperwork coming from this.
You're looking at it from the wrong side. The goal is not to find and return each of the guns stolen or lost but to stop the flow. Make sure that the guns won't just "disappear" without being tied to an owner. The current system makes this all too easy. Of course, any effective registration and reporting system would significantly slow firearms sales, so I wouldn't hold my breath for that anytime soon.

Old 02-09-2015, 03:42 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,918,581 times
Quote:
I don't think that the NRA is against reporting lost and stolen guns, they are just against mandating it. And with some lost or stolen guns, the owners don't necessarily know that the weapons were lost or stolen.
How does someone own a gun and not know it was stolen? My family members who own guns keep them locked up. So it would take take not noticing someone breaking into your house and into your gun safe to not know it was stolen. If you are not locking them up and just have random people around your house who may steal your guns, then that is an entirely different problem.

Old 02-09-2015, 03:48 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
How does someone own a gun and not know it was stolen? My family members who own guns keep them locked up. So it would take take not noticing someone breaking into your house and into your gun safe to not know it was stolen. If you are not locking them up and just have random people around your house who may steal your guns, then that is an entirely different problem.
Yup.

Old 02-09-2015, 04:00 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times
Quote:
Things happen.

UK Prime Minister Tony Blair's body guard left her piece in a Starbuck's bathroom.

Some guy in South Carolina did something similar at Wal-Mart.

People aren't perfect, mistakes are made all the time.

Not everyone keeps their weapons in a safe, they want to keep them close by in case of trouble, in a nightstand is a popular place.

Sure, there is definitely a possibility of a firearms accident. But there is also a chance of a home invasion, someone trying to stick you up, or other circumstance where a firearm is useful. Each person can make their own decision on this.

Old 02-09-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Things happen.

UK Prime Minister Tony Blair's body guard left her piece in a Starbuck's bathroom.

Not everyone keeps their weapons in a safe, they want to keep them close by in case of trouble, in a nightstand is a popular place.

Sure, there is definitely a possibility of a firearms accident. But there is also a chance of a home invasion, someone trying to stick you up, or other circumstance where a firearm is useful. Each person can make their own decision on this.
Obviously they cannot since they can’t keep track of their weapons.

We are not talking about someone losing their cellphone. People freak after 20 mins without that, but can leave their gun in a crapper and not even realize it.

Old 02-09-2015, 04:40 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,056,374 times
Quote:
Things happen.

You can guess what I'm thinking with my use of formatting tools.

Both are just idiots. If you have a gun, and remove it from your person, you make sure it's secured when you leave the bathroom or wherever you are. Yes, people slip up, but it's not losing your favorite pen, or leaving the original on the glass of the copier. The gun should never leave your sight. Most gun owners would not be this stupid.

Old 02-09-2015, 04:43 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,914 times
Quote:
Things happen.

"People aren't perfect, mistakes are made all the time"

All the more reason for more robust gun regulation. The fact that the NRA is against mandating the reporting of stolen guns just goes to prove how ridiculous and extreme they are.

Old 02-09-2015, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
You can guess what I'm thinking with my use of formatting tools.

Both are just idiots. If you have a gun, and remove it from your person, you make sure it's secured when you leave the bathroom or wherever you are. Yes, people slip up, but it's not losing your favorite pen, or leaving the original on the glass of the copier. The gun should never leave your sight. Most gun owners would not be this stupid.
Exactly, and that is why I don’t understand why they would have an issue reporting it. Wouldn’t you want to report that it was lost? I mean you call and report a lost credit card, but people don’t want to report a lost gun?

Old 02-09-2015, 04:50 PM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,973 times
Quote:
Exactly, and that is why I don’t understand why they would have an issue reporting it. Wouldn’t you want to report that it was lost? I mean you call and report a lost credit card, but people don’t want to report a lost gun?
What about the homeowners' or renters' insurance? Do people just want to throw money away?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh