Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 08:36 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
What's crappy about burb theaters? apart from a handful that are ancient, most are quite nice & state of the art technology wise & is why I'll drive out to one for most films I see unless I'm being particularly lazy.
True dat.

Pretty hilarious to think there's even disdain towards burb movie theaters.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:29 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,897,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
What's crappy about burb theaters? apart from a handful that are ancient, most are quite nice & state of the art technology wise & is why I'll drive out to one for most films I see unless I'm being particularly lazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
True dat.

Pretty hilarious to think there's even disdain towards burb movie theaters.
Not hilarious at all if you've ever been to any of those craptastic Showcase Cinemas ... These are the last Burb theaters I've ever went too. Granted Waterworks which is in the city is NOTHING to write home about either.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Not hilarious at all if you've ever been to any of those craptastic Showcase Cinemas ... These are the last Burb theaters I've ever went too. Granted Waterworks which is in the city is NOTHING to write home about either.
You need to get out more. Plenty of new state of the art theaters built in the burbs since those were built in the early 80's.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:51 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times
Quote:

Showcase Cinemas have been closed for a while, bb.

They were better that the dumpy neighborhood theatres they replaced back in the day, and the new generation of movie theatres offer still another program. People have to be given a good reason to get off their couches where they can watch a netflix or a new release on comcast on the huge flat screen theater and come on out, and the movie business is responding.

At home, they can eat reasonable priced snacks, drink as much beer as they like, smoke and watch the film in their boxers.
Can't do that at Cinemark, so Cinemark has to offer an experience.

Any new theater in town will be state of the art, I'm sure. Just like the new theaters in the burbs.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:52 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,883,891 times
Quote:
That's like saying the restaurant scene downtown is terrible because you went to the McDonald's on Smithfield st years ago & it was filthy

Old 05-18-2015, 09:52 AM

618 posts, read 692,400 times
I'd go all the time. I work downtown and getting out to the burbs to go to some shabby theater that's been "newly rehabbed" - no thanks. Young professionals snapping up these apartments downtown would love it. The target demo shouldn't be suburbanites out in Robinson or Fox Chapel. If they do come in, all the better! But something along the lines of the Manor Theater downtown would be terrific.

I'm seriously astounded by some of the responses. I realize that many posters here are so prolific because they do not venture out, but the comments here accurately reflect that many of you haven't been downtown in ages. (To say nothing of the comments regarding welfare recipients - the internet is indeed a refuge for all manner of the deplorable)

Old 05-18-2015, 09:56 AM

Again, burb disdain, especially towards movie theaters is great stuff. We'd check out a new theater once in the city if it's worth checking out. After all though, it's just a movie theater.

Last edited by erieguy; 05-18-2015 at 10:18 AM..

Old 05-18-2015, 10:21 AM

618 posts, read 692,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Again, burb disdain, especially towards movie theaters is great stuff.
If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Schwabe View Post
If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
Hopefully the theater goes in so there's something else to do. Brand new theater in McCandless Crossing, however. Short hov ride from da 'burgh.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:28 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,883,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Schwabe View Post
I'd go all the time. I work downtown and getting out to the burbs to go to some shabby theater that's been "newly rehabbed" - no thanks. Young professionals snapping up these apartments downtown would love it. The target demo shouldn't be suburbanites out in Robinson or Fox Chapel. If they do come in, all the better! But something along the lines of the Manor Theater downtown would be terrific.

I'm seriously astounded by some of the responses. I realize that many posters here are so prolific because they do not venture out, but the comments here accurately reflect that many of you haven't been downtown in ages. (To say nothing of the comments regarding welfare recipients - the internet is indeed a refuge for all manner of the deplorable)
While I don't disagree that young people are moving or staying in the city at greater rates, I wouldn't say they have been snapping up downtown apartments as most are priced out of downtown & the majority choose east end/ Lawrenceville/ southside of any young professionals I know looking to buy a place here. Downtown buyers are of the older demographic.

Again I have no problem at all if someone wants to spend money trying out a theater downtown & hope it does well but I can equally say regarding the comments about theaters in the suburbs do said comment makers not get out much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh