Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2018, 06:47 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,461,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Why would Amazon truly want to come here when they can go most anywhere they want?

I think it would be awesome, and I get the hype, but imo the area is being extremely overrated when it comes to thinking Amazon would want to come here.
I still always come back to payroll. Amazon can pay a lot of people in Pittsburgh high 4 to low 5 figures and they will feel like they are making great money. In DC or NY, they can't even afford rent and bills on those salaries. Extrapolate that over a decade and 20-50k people and the financials of going to a cheaper city are quite obvious.

Seattle was not an expensive city when they started up, and now its very expensive. I can't believe that they are not seriously taking payroll cost into consideration when its the single largest expense of the company.

Amazon is going to end up where ever they believe will be the best to continue to grow and profit over the next 20+ years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 06:57 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,284,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jea6321 View Post
I still always come back to payroll. Amazon can pay a lot of people in Pittsburgh high 4 to low 5 figures and they will feel like they are making great money. In DC or NY, they can't even afford rent and bills on those salaries. Extrapolate that over a decade and 20-50k people and the financials of going to a cheaper city are quite obvious.

Seattle was not an expensive city when they started up, and now its very expensive. I can't believe that they are not seriously taking payroll cost into consideration when its the single largest expense of the company.

Amazon is going to end up where ever they believe will be the best to continue to grow and profit over the next 20+ years.
but the cmu people aren't going to take the low salaries. so that negates the advantage of having them here somewhat. but of course the other universities would supply talent.

to some other points, what are the "urban" locations under consideration? hazlewood green will be an office park. civic arena site i'm guessing?

Old 04-16-2018, 07:25 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,461,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
but the cmu people aren't going to take the low salaries. so that negates the advantage of having them here somewhat. but of course the other universities would supply talent.

to some other points, what are the "urban" locations under consideration? hazlewood green will be an office park. civic arena site i'm guessing?
But that same CMU grad if employed in Pittsburgh will be happy with a 130-150k salary, where as in DC or NYC they would need 200k+ to live the same lifestyle. The COL works across the entire spectrum of the pay scale. Its Billions of dollars in savings to the bottom line to be in a cheaper city.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:34 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,042,525 times
Quote:
But that same CMU grad if employed in Pittsburgh will be happy with a 130-150k salary, where as in DC or NYC they would need 200k+ to live the same lifestyle. The COL works across the entire spectrum of the pay scale. Its Billions of dollars in savings to the bottom line to be in a cheaper city.
Yeah. There's a reason why there's a huge outflux of techies from the Bay Area to Austin these days. You can make serious cheddar in a high cost area, and still have to live with roommates.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:35 AM

68 posts, read 53,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post

Having earned a masters from the school of computer science at CMU, I feel comfortable in disputing this. A large percentage of my fellow graduates would have stayed in Pittsburgh if jobs were available.

For undergrads, high 5-figure salaries are enough for them to buy a home here immediately upon starting their career. In many other tech cities, people earning 2 to 3 times as much still can't afford homes near the CBD. Tech workers in other cities are forced to cohabitate or endure long commutes. That's a very real phenomenon outside of Pittsburgh. In some metro areas, graduates can't afford to rent by themselves unless they're willing to drive 2 or 3 hours a day.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:50 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,554,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
There is a difference between choosing a blank slate, and choosing a slate that is cracked and held together by fraying duct tape.

At one point in time, Pgh had a bangin location. Rivers, coal, and choo-choo trains? Bangin for the steel industry. That industry is as dead as my mill hunky ancestors that slaved away in the mill in Steelton.

The geography of Pittsburgh is detrimental in this new economy. It's isolated from the coasts, the Turnpike is highway robbery and unpleasant to drive, there are few rail connections, domestic air connections are limited.. the topography makes infrastructure difficult and expensive. The economic collapse and poor governance leading to neglected maintenance is finally reaching a crisis point.

Wow, I better get out of here.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:50 AM

68 posts, read 53,539 times
lol, it appears 3 of us simultaneously made similar posts regarding salary and cost of living. It really is key to Pittsburgh's chance of landing HQ2. There is a housing affordability crisis in most our high tech cities and Pittsburgh is a notable exception. Median rent actually decreased last year in Pgh.

I predict that nationally, cost of living problems will continue to worsen for the foreseeable future. Housing affordability is already the most talked about issue in many cities. With the wealth distribution gap widening to historical extremes, it will likely become the paramount issue across the country. This topic will be the central socioeconomic issue of the next few decades. That makes Pittsburgh's affordability quite a selling point for companies wanting to relocate.

Old 04-16-2018, 08:06 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,554,414 times
Yo, T-4, EVERY city has its good and bad points. Traffic, try Philly, DC, or Phoenix. Corrupt government, try Philly, Detroit, and Chicago. And the hills, rivers, and lack of a grid is what makes this city different from Cleveland and Minneapolis. Granted, the weather sucks. Get on any city forum and you'll hear the same things.

Old 04-16-2018, 08:46 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:

Seriously? High 4 to low 5 figures is about $10K/year. That is roughly $5/hr, lower than minimum wage.

Old 04-16-2018, 08:49 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,919,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Seriously? High 4 to low 5 figures is about $10K/year. That is roughly $5/hr, lower than minimum wage.

Probably safe to assume that is a typo...high 5 figures, low 6 figures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh