Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 05:22 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,223,692 times

Advertisements

I posted this question in another header, but never heard any responses, so I made this a new thread. Can anybody add any enlightening stories about these two projects? I have just recently found out about the areas and very intrigued about the horror stories over the years.

Also, someone said there use to be a strip mall across from old Westgate. I drove past there the other day and the only thing I saw was a building boarded up that said a credit union and laundry had once been there. Anyone know where the abandoned strip mall went? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 11:48 PM

Doesn't anyone read these topics?

Old 04-16-2008, 11:16 AM

125 posts, read 398,698 times
Hello there!
The old strip mall is a little bit up the road from where that lovely credit union/laundry mat/market building is, I think it's on Berry. All I can remember is that there used to be a Hill's store there, but I was pretty young when that area was in it's prime.
I'm moving into Emerald Gardens (old Westgate Village, I think) in June, so I did as much research as I could about the area. I know the projects were closed down in 2004/2005 after a major flood hit Pittsburgh, and that there is about $80,000 of damage to each house, so they would have to knock them down and rebuild if they wanted to make that area projects again. Most of the people that lived there moved to Sheradan and McKees Rocks, which is close to the area.
Personally, I don't really know any horror stories from the projects. I lived in Crafton Heights growing up and my mom would take my brother and I to the Hills there sometimes, so I guess she felt safe enough to go there. My bus also picked up a kid in Broadhead Manor on the way to grade school every day and we never had any trouble or anything. My friends and I all live around the same area (Crafton, Westwood, etc.) and we're around 24 years old and I think we're a little too young to really know what was going on down there in it's heyday. However, I was out last night and my friend's boyfriend (27) and all his friends were teasing us for moving there. I'm not sure if it's because they were older, or because they grew up closer to the area, but they seemed to remember it as being worse than we did.
If you have any more specific questions, I can ask around and try to get you an answer.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:45 AM

8 posts, read 30,278 times
So are there more younger people moving into Emerald Gardens because we just moved here and frankly Ive seen a grand total of 3 people my age (24) and it sucks because it just seems everyones gotten it in their head that this is the worst area in Pittsburgh still and no one seems to leave the confines of their homes. I dunno I live here and am looking for people to make friends with. Me and 2 of my buddies from college moved in and if anyone knows anyone who wants to hang out drink some beers etc my screen name is blackie2917. i am Caucasian even though my name states otherwise. just a nickname that i acquired in high school because my last name is a color. Let me know, Im willing to give anyone a chance.

Old 02-09-2010, 04:12 PM

2 posts, read 15,812 times
i grew up in broadhead manor from 1954 till 1972 and can tell you anything you want to know about broadhead

Old 02-09-2010, 07:44 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
This thread is a couple of years old. You might want to send Benzman a private message so he knows you're here.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:48 PM

2 posts, read 15,812 times
my name is george benedetti i grew up in broadhead from 1953 till its fall in 1971 what a great place i wrote a book about it anyone wishing to reply my email is broadhead@hotmail.com all broadheaders welcome

Old 05-05-2010, 10:31 PM

1 posts, read 7,676 times
I lived in Broadhead in the late 80's at a time when the horror stories were beginning. Crack and Aids had just hit the area and it destroyed it over night. Drugs were rampad. I can remember men and women relocating from New York and moving in with people in the projects to set up their drug houses. I was about 12-13 when this all began. I can remember the first person who moved into the projects to set up a drug ring. Westgate was a lot worst. That's actually where they went first. After about a month Westgate begin to look like a bad horror movie, everybody on crack walking around like zombies. Dead bodies everyday and constant shooting. Several of my friends were victims of bullets. My family disappeared one night when we found our next door neighbor dead in front of his house...We were frightened beyond beleif. I could tell you as much as you'd like especially during the transitional period fron Broadhead going from a nice place to live to a third world country...

Old 03-31-2011, 07:41 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,379,302 times
Wow!!! Back 'n da day Fairywood was worse than Homewood, The Hill, St. Clair or the Northside!!! I know the demolition of Westgate Village and BroadHead Manor ended the mass violence and drug use that the Westside Convicts trived in... Yet the downside is that it spread it to Sheradan!
Here's two links to the drug dealers percpective of old Westgate

YouTube - The Rae Zellous Story part 1 featured on Bloccs, Projects & Ent Vol.2

YouTube - The Rae Zellous Story part 2 featured on Bloccs Projects & Ent Vol.2
My question is:
*Does anyone know if Emerald Garden townhouses have opened and taken off yet???

Last edited by Uptown kid; 03-31-2011 at 07:42 PM.. Reason: Add/delete

Old 03-31-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
My question is:
*Does anyone know if Emerald Garden townhouses have opened and taken off yet???
They have been open for quite a while now. Not sure if they have "taken off" yet, but it seems they are being rented at $700 and up.
Here's the website;
http://www.emgardens.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh