Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 08:18 PM

3,112 posts, read 2,930,853 times

Advertisements

I whole heartedly agree that this boy suffered horribly and it was wrong what was done to him, and those involved should be punished. I also believe that each case should be looked at individually.

What bothers me is the idea running around the country, that parents must now teach their sons to be “afraid” now that women’s voices are being heard (yes, in this case the voices were lying). Perhaps it is a wake up call to some who thought they were insulated from the injustice in the world, but it shouldn’t be shocking to them that the world is unjust. Injustice, wrong on all fronts, has arrived on their doorstep and they are appalled. I just wish that they would have been appalled before they thought it could happen to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 08:56 PM

2,767 posts, read 1,591,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
I whole heartedly agree that this boy suffered horribly and it was wrong what was done to him, and those involved should be punished. I also believe that each case should be looked at individually.

What bothers me is the idea running around the country, that parents must now teach their sons to be “afraid” now that women’s voices are being heard (yes, in this case the voices were lying). Perhaps it is a wake up call to some who thought they were insulated from the injustice in the world, but it shouldn’t be shocking to them that the world is unjust. Injustice, wrong on all fronts, has arrived on their doorstep and they are appalled. I just wish that they would have been appalled before they thought it could happen to them.
One need only look at the kangaroo courts and Star Chambers utilized in many universities over the past decade to see that due process has been minimized for male students. Fortunately, several male students have recently been vindicated in real courts, where due process and the presumption of innocence and the requirement that accusations be proved beyond a reasonable doubt apply.

In any event, men are falsely accused all the time in a variety of cases and accusations. I am not limiting my call for due process to rape and sexual assault cases. Men have been executed only to be discovered later that they were innocent. Women, too, have been falsely and mistakenly accused.

I do not trust human beings to be either always honest or always perfect in the administration of justice, and I know that in too many cases humans are simply malicious and dishonest, and thus I advocate that we retain our notions of innocence until proven guilty by the beyond a reasonable doubt standard and always applying due process, in every case.

Last edited by Salmonburgher; 10-04-2018 at 09:56 PM..

Old 10-05-2018, 07:00 AM

7,419 posts, read 2,725,111 times
Let's get the MeTooMovement understood. I am beginning to see, hear and feel the divide and conquer tactics utilized during the 60s and early 70s, when silencing women in an effort to oppress them was a goal of some during the ERA push.

Sexual harassment is not limited to any party, race, or religion. We can't end sexual harassment if we make it a partisan issue. Why is anyone angry that abuse against women is out in the open?

The harrowing violations that have been described range from harassment to rape, and took place as far back as the 1970s or as recently as a few months ago, but these crimes all have in common the fact that they went unpunished. When the women reported the assaults, they were often told to stay quiet lest they hurt their careers or reputations or face more physical abuse And so they maintained their silence. Until now.

The men who have been named in these scandals represent a very broad range of backgrounds: Republican and Democrat; Christian, Jewish, and Muslim; gay and straight. You would think that with such a wide spectrum of abusers, we would finally understand and treat sexual harassment and violence as the systemic problems they are.

The Me Too Movement is an uprising of women against sexual assault. It is not an uprising against men. It is not an uprising against conservatives. AND what it has revealed is its epidemic frequency in our society and all the ways in which it is enabled by a culture of silence.

If we allow sexual misconduct to become a partisan issue, we risk confounding and obscuring these causes and leaving the problem to fester for the next generation.

So my questions to those who would conflate other problems, topics and subjects with this movement, in an effort to silence and belittle women and attempt to make this a partisan issue: Why? What is your rationale? What are you afraid of and what are you trying to protect?

This thread and some of the posts reveal ignorance and a cowardice to be a part of a movement toward a solution. It appears many would rather perpetuate the obfuscation of a real societal problem. Why is that?

Last edited by corpgypsy; 10-05-2018 at 07:28 AM.. Reason: clarity

Old 10-05-2018, 07:13 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 26,085,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post

WHY?
Keep in mind, that this is a local case that 5 girls falsely accused a boy of sexual assault and all but one are minors. Where do young kids get ideas from?

This is a local case that should be looked at. It has nothing to do with any other individual case going on against men, women or whatever, it is a wakeup call to be alert of how all these stories effect kids. Seems pretty easy to just accuse someone and have them taken away in shackles these days. We better look at each case on its own merit. Sadly, I am not seeing that in our society. I just see people wanting to further their agendas on the heels of a case like this. My point is, case by case. I don't think many can do that. There was really no press in this case. Why? We all know why. Agendas. Agendas equal NO balance in society.

Old 10-05-2018, 07:19 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,112,252 times
"WHY?"

Because we live in a patriarchal society. Very few people distrust the reports of sexual abuse of boys at the hands of priests but for some reason it's hard for authoritarian men to believe the reports of systematic harassment and assault women have experienced and continue to endure. Also, there is no time frame to report abuse. I heard nobody say "Well why did Jimmy wait to report that the priest touched him in 1975??" Nope, people were happy that they had the guts to come forward.

Old 10-06-2018, 07:10 PM

6,352 posts, read 11,144,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
"WHY?"

Because we live in a patriarchal society. Very few people distrust the reports of sexual abuse of boys at the hands of priests but for some reason it's hard for authoritarian men to believe the reports of systematic harassment and assault women have experienced and continue to endure. Also, there is no time frame to report abuse. I heard nobody say "Well why did Jimmy wait to report that the priest touched him in 1975??" Nope, people were happy that they had the guts to come forward.
Patriarchal Society? No chance. Not anymore. It is the opposite. Men have no rights in this country when it comes to allegations from women, even those that are decades old and are unsubstantiated by facts to support their claims. I've seen more than one guy in my family and social circle become completely ruined (financially and emotionally) under these circumstances by lying, thieving and good for nothing women. Ever get divorced? In virtually all cases now the men get wiped out. Literally. Some end up homeless as a result.

Women, if they want to be taken seriously with their claims of alleged abuse by men, better file a police report immediately after the alleged crime takes place. Otherwise, don't expect much sympathy from anyone decades later when their sudden memory lapse or lack of intestinal fortitude from back in the day suddenly gets a wake up call and they finally muster up the courage to say something. By that time the facts become muddied at best and can't be supported by alleged witnesses either.

These days, any guy with half a brain that is not already married should be very wary about dating women. It is open season on men in this country.

Old 10-06-2018, 07:28 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,956,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Patriarchal Society? No chance. Not anymore. It is the opposite. Men have no rights in this country when it comes to allegations from women, even those that are decades old and are unsubstantiated by facts to support their claims. I've seen more than one guy in my family and social circle become completely ruined (financially and emotionally) under these circumstances by lying, thieving and good for nothing women. Ever get divorced? In virtually all cases now the men get wiped out. Literally. Some end up homeless as a result.

Women, if they want to be taken seriously with their claims of alleged abuse by men, better file a police report immediately after the alleged crime takes place. Otherwise, don't expect much sympathy from anyone decades later when their sudden memory lapse or lack of intestinal fortitude from back in the day suddenly gets a wake up call and they finally muster up the courage to say something. By that time the facts become muddied at best and can't be supported by alleged witnesses either.

These days, any guy with half a brain that is not already married should be very wary about dating women. It is open season on men in this country.
This guy gets it. Oppression of men is at unprecedented levels.

Old 10-06-2018, 09:51 PM

15,647 posts, read 26,347,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Nobody will believe you because we put women and other "protected classes" on pedestals, where even wrongdoing by them is excused and rationalized. We pretend that only men can be sexually immature and irresponsible the same way we pretend that only white people can be racist. It's 24-karat bull****.

As for actual rape, if a man tries to rape you, you know what you do? Shoot him. "bUt gUnS aRe BaD!" No, guns are good. Shoot him. I've seen a water buffalo kill a lion with its horns. I've seen a tiger have to walk away from a porcupine with erect quills. The predator doesn't always win, especially when the prey is armed. Show me a convenience store where a clerk shot an armed robber, and I'll show you a convenience store that nobody's tried to rob since. Getting shot during the process of violent criminal behavior has a nice chilling effect on said behavior. I guarantee you that'll work a lot better than browbeating a bunch of men whose worst sin is staring at **** and ass for longer than a second and a half.
Oh, I wish that were true. My good friend would be alive now. Instead, his killer is in jail for life.

Of course, my good friend put a couple of robbers in the ground, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh