Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 07:52 PM

1,491 posts, read 1,460,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post

The gas drilling industry has and will provide more jobs and growth to the region than any other sector of employment. The experts credit the gas drilling industry for the small increases in population growth in the early 2010s for the metro.
you really think the gas industry will provide more jobs than healthcare or education in our region? might want to rethink that one a bit.

Old 12-17-2018, 08:28 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,157,682 times
This is great news to see, and it can get everyone who was crying about Amazon not coming up to shut up a little too as a bonus.

Old 12-18-2018, 04:59 AM

615 posts, read 394,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jea6321 View Post
you really think the gas industry will provide more jobs than healthcare or education in our region? might want to rethink that one a bit.
I do. There will be way more spinoff than people can imagine. I think once this place is up and running there will be smaller manufacturing and service companies that start up and expand. I wouldn’t be surprised if there are thousands of jobs related to this industry in the region and maybe 10s of thousands.

Others on this board will continue to ignore that and talk only about 100 Apple jobs that may happen and won’t provide spin-off companies.

The gas industry will be responsible for growth and expansion of the Pittsburgh metro economy. Not 100 jobs at Apple or a new bike lane in the east end.

Old 12-18-2018, 07:13 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,921,031 times
Quote:
Nobody said that. These are just articles with misleading headlines. When they break ground or are building our offices then open up the champagne. Till then it makes a great talking point and gives people hope.

What about the gas drilling industry? Why is this not a topic of discussion? Oh yeah it’s happening in Beaver County. A big nasty energy company. If it isn’t a hipster company expanding in the east end of town it doesn’t matter. No other industry in Pittsburgh is putting more money towards schools or job growth. Shell is investing in K-12 students. What money has google, Facebook or apple given to train people and make our schools better?
Why am I not surprised you are causing problems on here again zman?

Old 12-18-2018, 07:33 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,966,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Quite the terrible racist remark you made. Certainly not valid and certainly not necessary.
My statement was truthful. The oil and gas industry is racist...and sexist, but it’s heralded because it provides high-paying jobs to unskilled, under educated white men.

https://www.post-gazette.com/busines...s/201601240121

https://www.usnews.com/news/the-repo...he-us-oil-boom

It’s also an environmentally catastrophic industry. And guess what, climate change deniers are also more likely to be racists.

https://www.sierraclub.org/sierra/cl...climate-change

Old 12-18-2018, 08:29 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,160,214 times
Quote:
I do. There will be way more spinoff than people can imagine. I think once this place is up and running there will be smaller manufacturing and service companies that start up and expand. I wouldn’t be surprised if there are thousands of jobs related to this industry in the region and maybe 10s of thousands.

Others on this board will continue to ignore that and talk only about 100 Apple jobs that may happen and won’t provide spin-off companies.

The gas industry will be responsible for growth and expansion of the Pittsburgh metro economy. Not 100 jobs at Apple or a new bike lane in the east end.
The latest data that I could quickly find is here:

https://www.census.gov/data/tables/2...sb-annual.html

It notes that the Pittsburgh MSA has 198k jobs in Health Care as of 2015. That doesn't include the 57k jobs in Finance and Insurance, some of which may be part of Highmark and/or UPMC Health plan.

Mining, Oil, and Gas Extraction has 11k jobs and manufacturing has 87k jobs (many of which have nothing to do with oil and gas). Do you really think there are going to be 100k+ jobs added in oil and gas and related downstream manufacturing?

Old 12-18-2018, 08:36 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,966,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
The latest data that I could quickly find is here:

https://www.census.gov/data/tables/2...sb-annual.html

It notes that the Pittsburgh MSA has 198k jobs in Health Care as of 2015. That doesn't include the 57k jobs in Finance and Insurance, some of which may be part of Highmark and/or UPMC Health plan.

Mining, Oil, and Gas Extraction has 11k jobs and manufacturing has 87k jobs (many of which have nothing to do with oil and gas). Do you really think there are going to be 100k+ jobs added in oil and gas and related downstream manufacturing?
But those jobs don’t count. The only important jobs are the ones Zman qualifies for.

Old 12-18-2018, 08:41 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,102,536 times
I'm waiting on the mills to open back up, big T said they're coming back! That's where the jobs will be!

Old 12-18-2018, 08:48 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,919,272 times
Since a previous poster asked for how Google and other "hipster" companies were helping the region with educational resources and what not, I thought I would pass this along.

https://triblive.com/local/allegheny...le-partnership

Old 12-18-2018, 09:33 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jea6321 View Post
Probably not. Nor is Pittsburgh going to be the next "Silicon Valley". In point of fact, no city is going to be the next SV. SV is a unique place of its own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh