Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 09:22 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,648,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshinepleasePgh View Post
Once people have kids or start a family they are gonzo from the city and possibly the region. Others that complain are stuck due to their own fear of trying something new. Basically a fear of the unknown.
Tell that to all the young families moving into my neighborhood. Crafton is literally blocks from the Pittsburgh city limit. Some may have moved out of Pittsburgh proper, but they certainly haven't left the region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 05:09 AM

5 posts, read 3,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodjules View Post
Tell that to all the young families moving into my neighborhood. Crafton is literally blocks from the Pittsburgh city limit. Some may have moved out of Pittsburgh proper, but they certainly haven't left the region.
And I’m willing to bet they left the city due to the school district and or taxes. Crafton borough is the better option. And I said possibly leaving the region. The young people moving to crafton from the city is a reshuffling of existing residents. It isn’t new growth. There is a negative in migration the last 2-3 years of estimates.

Old 06-17-2019, 06:53 AM

994 posts, read 502,495 times
Quote:
It’s a city for singles or young couples without kids.
Cities are for singles or young couples without kids (or empty nesters).

There are some exceptions because there are always exceptions, but you'll be hard pressed to find a city of any size that is inviting to middle income families.

Old 06-17-2019, 07:06 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,042,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_P View Post
Cities are for singles or young couples without kids (or empty nesters).

There are some exceptions because there are always exceptions, but you'll be hard pressed to find a city of any size that is inviting to middle income families.
It's worth noting that even in Europe - where violent crime rates are much lower, "good schools" aren't a concern, and the city centers are mostly extremely upscale areas - there are still less families with children overall in city centers than in the outlying areas (which are not always suburban, but are typically "more suburban" than the historic core).

Part of the reason for this is when it comes down to it children are roommates who don't pay any rent. If you have kids you need to have more space, but you don't necessarily have a higher income than the DINK couple you're competing with for a house or an apartment. Because you need more space but don't have more income, you have to make some sacrifices in terms of the neighborhood you choose to live in.

Old 06-17-2019, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshinepleasePgh View Post
And I’m willing to bet they left the city due to the school district and or taxes. Crafton borough is the better option. And I said possibly leaving the region. The young people moving to crafton from the city is a reshuffling of existing residents. It isn’t new growth. There is a negative in migration the last 2-3 years of estimates.
Property taxes in Crafton are a lot higher than in the city, but there's no wage tax. And you still pay less for a big old house in Crafton than you would for a similar house in a trendy Pittsburgh neighborhood. When I was house hunting I determined that my out of pocket expenses would be roughly the same in Crafton or in the Pittsburgh neighborhoods I was considering. I just happened to find the perfect house in Crafton. As for the new residents leaving Pittsburgh for Crafton, it's actually a mix. About half are from the region, half are from elsewhere. Mind you, I'm just speaking of the newcomers on my street, but given how small Crafton is, it's significant. Of those from outside the region, there are two households from CA, one from Portland, OR, a "mixed" house with the wife from DC and the husband from San Diego. Crafton seems to reflect the fact that many coming to the region are professionals drawn by jobs and a nice quality of life for a far lower price than places like DC, SF, Portland, etc.

Old 06-17-2019, 12:57 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
The thing is, the entire Pittsburgh MSA is losing population, not just the city.
https://www.post-gazette.com/local/r...s/201904180079

Old 06-17-2019, 01:07 PM

265 posts, read 150,837 times
I’ve lived my post-college life life in King of Prussia (2.5 years), Colorado Springs (6 years), Orlando suburbs (4 years) and came back to southwest PA two years ago to attempt living near family. Considered building a house in Allegheny county, but did an about-face after seeing what the property tax would have been. The weather here isn’t for me. Pretty much trapped inside seeing the sun once a week December-March. Rain seems perpetual and the summer days are humid when not raining. Driving into the city....forget about it. I was on parkway east in bound at 7:30 one morning and the sign just before Wilkinsburg said 4 miles-20 minutes and it was every bit of it. That’s LA 405 commute time.

I’m taking my wife, three kids, and our two work from home incomes and going back to Colorado next month.

Old 06-17-2019, 03:55 PM

994 posts, read 502,495 times
Yes, we know that Katarina.

Old 06-17-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
The thing is, the entire Pittsburgh MSA is losing population, not just the city.
https://www.post-gazette.com/local/r...s/201904180079
Yes, but the newcomers are well educated and have good jobs.

Old 06-17-2019, 04:29 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,600,221 times
If you work from home and have a commute that involves the Parkway East, that's a really big house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh