Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2019, 09:48 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,640,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
no place is perfect. if there are burst water mains - well, they ARE being taken care of....one by one, but what is the alternative? everyone stay home while every road is ripped open and every pipe replaced....that would take years.
It's called preventative ongoing maintenance funded by nominal annual rate increases that should have occurred starting decades ago if not for the avarice of prior generations.

Also, see below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
FYI

Here is the city steps site from the city. City Steps Plan

You can also set up a community clean up day for litter or just pick it up yourself when you see it.
Yeah, I don't think that city steps plan is going to come soon enough to save some steps that have been deteriorating for quite some time. I'm a skeptic. That city steps plan needs to receive much, much more funding for my tastes. City steps are crucial to link those of us in higher-elevated neighborhoods to lower-elevated ones. If I'm going to pay high rent, then I better be able to still walk to Lawrenceville as one of those "perks" to justify the high rent.

Also, I do pick up litter myself as long as I'm within close range of a trash or recycling can. It shouldn't be my job to continuously organize larger-scale litter clean-ups because other people are pigs, though. Liberty Avenue through the Strip is just disgusting, and a lot of it is actually fragmented automotive crash debris that first responders just sweep onto the sidewalks for some reason. Doesn't the city have a "sidewalk sweeper" machine? If not, then why not? I do see people trying to organize "litter walks" on NextDoor, and I applaud them for it. I hope to volunteer with some once I return from my upcoming Midwest vacation.

Also, see below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
In other words, a lot of the current shortfall can be explained by those in the past not paying their fair share of what they promised at the time, instead leaving that payment to "hope" that the future would be able to cover it.
^ This.

I'm sorry, but as a Millennial I'm irked that the majority of the problems facing this city today are the end result of Baby Boomers "kicking the can down the road" assuming that we would just rise to the task and absorb the shock of it on their behalves. Instead of stomaching NOMINAL tax, utility, etc. increases annually, which are easier to budget for and adjust to, we're now going to be experiencing HIGH tax, utility, etc. increases within a brief period of time, which is going to place many already struggling with student loan debt under an even more intense financial burden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2019, 09:56 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,640,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Pretty simple option, then. You live with the gripes, or move
Or, you can accept that not all of the gripes need to be permanent gripes and advocate to have them ameliorated.

Clouds? Yeah. We got that. Nothing can be done about that. I can either learn to live with clouds while medicating myself or relocate. That's my problem to deal with, especially since so many here seem to prefer clouds.

I refuse to accept that subpar infrastructure and stagnant real wages for the working-class of this city are two issues that can't be improved upon, though.

People on this sub-forum are too touchy/defensive. If someone has 7 reasons they like Pittsburgh and 3 reasons why they hate it, they tell you "don't let the door..."

Sorry, but I refuse to accept that Pittsburgh "as-is" is Pittsburgh reaching its fullest potential. If you're satisfied with mediocrity and dislike change, then, yes, you'll be challenged because crumbling infrastructure and an increasingly unaffordable rental market aren't things that should just be "accepted" as "just the way it has to be..." I love a lot of other aspects about this city, but the apologists who make excuses to justify our shortcomings can be irritating.

Old 06-14-2019, 10:08 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,224,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Or, you can accept that not all of the gripes need to be permanent gripes and advocate to have them ameliorated.

Clouds? Yeah. We got that. Nothing can be done about that. I can either learn to live with clouds while medicating myself or relocate. That's my problem to deal with, especially since so many here seem to prefer clouds.

I refuse to accept that subpar infrastructure and stagnant real wages for the working-class of this city are two issues that can't be improved upon, though.

People on this sub-forum are too touchy/defensive. If someone has 7 reasons they like Pittsburgh and 3 reasons why they hate it, they tell you "don't let the door..."

Sorry, but I refuse to accept that Pittsburgh "as-is" is Pittsburgh reaching its fullest potential. If you're satisfied with mediocrity and dislike change, then, yes, you'll be challenged because crumbling infrastructure and an increasingly unaffordable rental market aren't things that should just be "accepted" as "just the way it has to be..." I love a lot of other aspects about this city, but the apologists who make excuses to justify our shortcomings can be irritating.
I wouldn’t count on them to be ameliorated.

Even though people aren’t at all lining up to move to the area, it’s obvious that many have a hard time understanding that not everyone chooses to live the same way and like the same things. It’s also unlikely many have ventured outside the area, they need to justify where they live, are “satisfied with mediocrity and dislike change”, etc..., and there’s nothing wrong with that.

If you can’t accept it then you’re probably going to have to move because it’s highly unlikely that anything is going to change anytime soon.

Old 06-14-2019, 10:11 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,058,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
I think the biggest single issue at hand from the city (and state) government budget perspective comes down to the fact that pensions and other post-employment retirement benefits were underfunded / unfunded for a long time. Therefore, government-provided retirement benefits banked on continuous growth of the tax rolls driven by both inflation and population growth. Obviously, "population growth" part of that equation hasn't always come through, and we are now below replacement fertility rate, which means this will continue without international immigration.
What is being done about it. This is that "who is leading" thing again. And that is not rhetorical - really, is the City dealing with this looming crisis?

That, and the national deficit - two monsters absolutely no one ever talks about, because we are distracted, or just ignorant, or both.

Old 06-14-2019, 10:59 AM

5 posts, read 3,480 times
Quote:
If you can’t accept it then you’re probably going to have to move because it’s highly unlikely that anything is going to change anytime soon.
People have a difficult time wrapping their head around the amount of time and money it would take to fix things. It has taken decades for sunbelt cities to be where they are with continuous growth and infrastructure. Those places did not grow or build infrastructure in a year or even a decade. There is a lot of worry and concern over things not in anybody’s control.

It will take decades and probably longer to fix Pittsburgh and grow the population again. That is saying from this year onward it continues to grow and change. The harsh reality is that isn’t happening. Issues today have been issues for the better part of 70-100 years. Look up the reason why the URA was created in the 1950s. Pittsburgh’s decline has been a problem for decades. Pittsburgh is still one of the most air polluted cities. Has it gotten better yes but it is still one of the most polluted in the country. That’s at least 150 years in that category.

Things aren’t going to change and I feel bad for the poster. Damaging his mental sanity for something he has no control over and has been a problem for nearly 100 years now. Life is too short. Pittsburgh is what it is. If you can’t accept that you gotta move on.

In 20 years the poster will be in a different stage in their life. It is also likely Pittsburgh will still be as it currently is. Small areas changing that’s it. Have they broke ground on the arena site yet? We are coming up on 10 years soon. I can’t wait till the pirates and Steelers ask for new stadiums in 10 years again. There is a better likelihood of that happening than fixing infrastructure in this town.

Old 06-14-2019, 11:23 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
It's called preventative ongoing maintenance funded by nominal annual rate increases that should have occurred starting decades ago if not for the avarice of prior generations.

Also, see below.

Yeah, I don't think that city steps plan is going to come soon enough to save some steps that have been deteriorating for quite some time. I'm a skeptic. That city steps plan needs to receive much, much more funding for my tastes. City steps are crucial to link those of us in higher-elevated neighborhoods to lower-elevated ones. If I'm going to pay high rent, then I better be able to still walk to Lawrenceville as one of those "perks" to justify the high rent.

Also, I do pick up litter myself as long as I'm within close range of a trash or recycling can. It shouldn't be my job to continuously organize larger-scale litter clean-ups because other people are pigs, though. Liberty Avenue through the Strip is just disgusting, and a lot of it is actually fragmented automotive crash debris that first responders just sweep onto the sidewalks for some reason. Doesn't the city have a "sidewalk sweeper" machine? If not, then why not? I do see people trying to organize "litter walks" on NextDoor, and I applaud them for it. I hope to volunteer with some once I return from my upcoming Midwest vacation.

Also, see below.

^ This.

I'm sorry, but as a Millennial I'm irked that the majority of the problems facing this city today are the end result of Baby Boomers "kicking the can down the road" assuming that we would just rise to the task and absorb the shock of it on their behalves. Instead of stomaching NOMINAL tax, utility, etc. increases annually, which are easier to budget for and adjust to, we're now going to be experiencing HIGH tax, utility, etc. increases within a brief period of time, which is going to place many already struggling with student loan debt under an even more intense financial burden.
I was going to rep you for your next post until I saw this above. You do realize that many older boomers were a part of the exodus in the 1980s, no? They were all young then (the oldest 34 in 1980) and needed jobs.

Old 06-14-2019, 11:54 AM

5 posts, read 3,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I was going to rep you for your next post until I saw this above. You do realize that many older boomers were a part of the exodus in the 1980s, no? They were all young then (the oldest 34 in 1980) and needed jobs.
It’s fair to say that the boomers that could or wanted to leave did so. Generation X was smaller and those who graduated left as well. I think the millennials born on or after 1988 are the ones who started to stay. We will see if it is long term.

I’m 36 years old. All I have to do is look on Facebook. Half the people my age stayed while the other half left. The problem is nobody is replacing the half the left. That is evident in the declining school district numbers and the 60 and older empty nest couples still living on the same street and the kids (my friends) are gone. And I didn’t grow up in the city either rather a good Middle class suburb. Our district was filled with 3 elementary schools. 18 years after I graduated they consolidated into one school. That is a huge decline.

Blame the state and local governments for failing to change and see the writing on the wall the last 70 years. People will go where they can find jobs and make a living.

Old 06-14-2019, 12:35 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,919,865 times
Quote:

You refuse to accept our shortcomings, but you don't actually do anything to help improve the area except complain about it on the internet. If you are sick of seeing litter and the city isnt doing something about it then organize a clean up, get involved, relentlessly badger your city council person, do anything, but please do something other than p*ss and moan about it on a subforum.

Old 06-14-2019, 08:27 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,775,115 times
Quote:
Nobody said most people don’t like it, but there are many that do.

Considering I live in both places, it’s certainly not strawman arguments. I’m simply not ignorant enough to think that everyone should like the same areas, temperatures, etc..., as everyone else.

The rain foiled my motorcycle riding plans today but thanks for the suggestion.

You're the only one I know of who thinks that other people really think everyone should like the same temps as everyone else. Practically nobody really thinks that at all, and practically everyobody realizes that. And calling people ignorant in a backhanded way only makes you look even more insular.

The fact is that most people in hot environs live mostly in air conditioning in the US. I know people who like Miami, yes. They spend a few hours outdoors and on the water, but other than that mostly in AC. I don't have any problem with it, that's what they like thats fine. But for most, they only enjoy hot weather for a little while, then they go back into AC. Have a look. Miami has the highest avg electricity usage. This is not due to recharging Teslas.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...jor-us-cities/

Last edited by _Buster; 06-14-2019 at 08:40 PM..

Old 06-15-2019, 03:20 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,224,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
You're the only one I know of who thinks that other people really think everyone should like the same temps as everyone else. Practically nobody really thinks that at all, and practically everyobody realizes that. And calling people ignorant in a backhanded way only makes you look even more insular.

The fact is that most people in hot environs live mostly in air conditioning in the US. I know people who like Miami, yes. They spend a few hours outdoors and on the water, but other than that mostly in AC. I don't have any problem with it, that's what they like thats fine. But for most, they only enjoy hot weather for a little while, then they go back into AC. Have a look. Miami has the highest avg electricity usage. This is not due to recharging Teslas.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...jor-us-cities/
You obviously haven’t read much of the thread, especially that which talks about weather being a factor in one not choosing to move to the Pittsburgh area.

Again, nobody argued about anyone mostly living in A/C in Florida. I simply said that many do like 90 degrees with a high dewpoint, but thanks for posting the electricity usage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh