Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 11:21 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Just another Tuesday night at Gooski's!
I was going to say in my basement, but close enough...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2019, 11:48 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,102,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
Details on this one are murky. They charged the person who used his knife, but it may have been in self defense. Is self defense with a knife allowed?
I don't know why it wouldn't be. If that's all I had and was in fear for my life I'd sure use it. Unless it was an illegal knife like a gravity knife/automatic it should be no different than picking up a stick/rock to defend yourself.

Old 08-28-2019, 12:15 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,966,636 times
Does anyone know WHY so many drug addicts and mentally ill people congregate downtown? I don’t advocate having police force people out of public spaces, but I’m genuinely curious as to why they’re there.

Old 08-28-2019, 12:20 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Does anyone know WHY so many drug addicts and mentally ill people congregate downtown? I don’t advocate having police force people out of public spaces, but I’m genuinely curious as to why they’re there.
I am guessing it's a combination of three things:

1. It's a relatively good place to panhandle.

2. Most have free bus passes, and thus can get to downtown easily.

3. There is a relatively high concentration of social services (compared to other places) providing service to the homeless and drug addicts in and around downtown.

Old 08-28-2019, 12:27 PM

755 posts, read 472,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post

Here's my guesses (as to why it has gone this far):

1.) downtown is the primary public transportation hub
2.) abundant panhandling opportunities (i.e. "I rob banks because that where the money is")
3.) several shelters are located downtown providing food and a place of respite
4.) county social services located in town (Wood St. Commons)
5.) tiny number of residents (and even less with kids), so there are going to be less complaints to "do something"; if there were that many homeless or panhandlers in Brookline or Sq. Hill there would be an outcry

I know the Cultural Trust was ahead of this, but you would think if anyone were going nuts about this, it would be Point Park Univ. I am not sure how they define their physical campus, but any crimes on campus are mandated to be reported to the US Dept of Education under the Clery Act when a school takes federal financial aid (Title IV). I am sure they are working their back channels in City Hall.

Old 08-28-2019, 12:59 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Just 4 in a month. Trend? Probably not, but one needs to keep an eye on this. Maybe Pittsburgh will get back to the 80s someday? Don’t know. Wow.

Old 08-28-2019, 01:21 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Just 4 in a month. Trend? Probably not, but one needs to keep an eye on this. Maybe Pittsburgh will get back to the 80s someday? Don’t know. Wow.
I wouldn’t consider it an issue if it was indeed self defense. If it was self defense, good for him.

What was better in regards to safety in Pittsburgh in the 80’s? Only the news and newspaper back then versus social media today to report everything that goes on?

Old 08-28-2019, 01:29 PM

2,401 posts, read 2,102,536 times
The 80s were worse by far regarding safety in town. We had open prostitution on Penn and Liberty among other things.

Old 08-28-2019, 01:29 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
The 80s were worse by far regarding safety in town. We had open prostitution on Penn and Liberty among other things.
Bingo

Old 08-28-2019, 02:24 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Overall I still feel safe Downtown.

Walk purposefully and remain vigilant of your surroundings.

Avoid making direct eye contact with those you pass if possible.

At night on the rare occasion I did feel uncomfortable I might have hovered my hand over my pocket/waist area while walking to make others poised to do harm think I was armed and attempt a different target.

Stick to well-lit corridors when possible. Even in the Strip District, which is very safe, I often walk to and from Downtown via Liberty Avenue in the dark instead of Penn Avenue because it's better-lit.

I still feel like random violent crime overall is extremely rare in this city. I mean how many years later now are people still talking about the murders of the Wolfe sisters in East Liberty? Our homicide rate so far in 2019 is half that of Cincinnati, and our cities are the same size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh