Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2020, 06:00 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,227,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul359 View Post
Well, yes because it is airborne. The 6 feet rule expanded to 30 feet but if it is now 30 could it be 50 next week or 100 feet in 1 month. No, I am not at high risk. I am also a Loner. But I am too young to die.

And no one seems to know what the procedures are otherwise things would not be closed like they are.

Are we that unhygienic? Or is it that we just cannot stay that far away from one another?

I am a single Italian female and I live alone and work alone from home. I have 2 cats not kids and my family has all passed away. I am also divorced. Just wanted to clear up the fact that I am a LONER. Have my will and Living Trust finished already at 48 yo. I have 1 friend who lives in a different state. She is busy with her kids so I try not to bother her.

Sorry if my questions seem stupid or redundant
It’s airborne so you’ve answered your own questions.

Do people get the flu because they’re unhygienic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2020, 06:00 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,133,422 times
I think some can't stay away, others chose not to but maybe out of desperation. Its easy to shelter at home when you know you can pay your bills and have food to eat. I've not heard anyone say 30 ft though. 6 feet and use common sense as in don't do a monster sneeze pointing up in the air w/ no cover. I don't know if it is technically airborne but it can stay suspended in the air (like water droplets) for a certain period of time. I dont think if it was on a counter it is also in the air but that I'm not sure. I think yes we are that unhygenic too though, different generations were taught different things, I dont think I'll ever be able to break the habit of covering my mouth w/ my hand when I clear my throat or something.

Old 04-01-2020, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post

Yeah I think kinda, share drinks or other things. Touch a million things and their face. I know my wife washes her hands a million times but I tend to wash them when they are dirty or have been touching something I know was gross.

Old 04-01-2020, 06:04 PM

987 posts, read 780,595 times
Quote:

I do not know. I do not get the flu.

Old 04-01-2020, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
Yeah I think kinda, share drinks or other things. Touch a million things and their face. I know my wife washes her hands a million times but I tend to wash them when they are dirty or have been touching something I know was gross.
Aside from one’s immune system or vaccination, pretty sure there’s nothing that can be done to keep from getting something that’s able to be caught via airborne.

Old 04-01-2020, 06:12 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,694,042 times
I'll save you all 37 minutes: read up on cytokine storms.

Here is a NYT article about it from today that explains it pretty well: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/01/h...ne-system.html

It has been theorized that when a young person with a healthy immune system and no comorbidities dies from COVID-19, it is due to a cytokine storm. It is also believed that this is why the Spanish Flu was so devastating to the young and otherwise healthy. The immune system goes into such overdrive, you basically drown in your own blood and fluids. It is possible that drugs that suppress the immune system, such as Hydroxychloroquine, are effective at combating this COVID-19 complication.

Several articles I have read about it claim that many doctors are unaware of the cytokine storm; however, I would like to think that is not the case. Either way, read up about it so you can be an advocate for yourself or a loved one, if need be. Bookmark some resources and save the names of drugs that can be used against it, just in case you ever find yourself in a situation where you need to educate a medical professional about it.

If admitted to a hospital, one's goal should be to improve before ever needing to be hooked up to a ventilator. There has been so much focus on acquiring ventilators; however, the mortality rate for those who require one is frightening. Hopefully, some of the drug therapies they are using will yield some positive results and can be rolled out en masse.

Old 04-01-2020, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul359 View Post
I do not know. I do not get the flu.
I didn’t ask if you got the flu, but if you don’t know the answer it’s probably best you stay inside forever.

Old 04-01-2020, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Aside from one’s immune system or vaccination, pretty sure there’s nothing that can be done to keep from getting something that’s able to be caught via airborne.

IDK, I mean I'm not super social so maybe I social distance in life anyway. I feel like though if you use better hygene and wash after touching public things you reduce your risks. I also don't know, up until this year I've gotten sick about 2 times in 20 years that I remember. This year 2 times, Dec-Jan then Mid Feb which I think was this.

Old 04-01-2020, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
IDK, I mean I'm not super social so maybe I social distance in life anyway. I feel like though if you use better hygene and wash after touching public things you reduce your risks. I also don't know, up until this year I've gotten sick about 2 times in 20 years that I remember. This year 2 times, Dec-Jan then Mid Feb which I think was this.
You really think better hygiene is going to keep you from getting the flu or an airborne disease?

I’d wager you have a great immune system.

Old 04-01-2020, 06:16 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,587,007 times
Quote:
The New England Journal of Medicine claims it may stay in the air for half an hour and I think on steel or plastic for two or three days. I think your odds are decidedly better if you stay home, limit your grocery trips to every other week, and do everything the CDC asks people to do, but you can’t do much about people who think they’re smarter than the epidemiologists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: