Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2020, 06:18 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,133,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
You really think better hygiene is going to keep you from getting the flu or an airborne disease?

It would depend on the disease, and airborne disease does not always remain airborne forever and can remain longer on surfaces. By that fact yes better hygiene is going to help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2020, 06:21 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,227,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
It would depend on the disease, and airborne disease does not always remain airborne forever and can remain longer on surfaces. By that fact yes better hygiene is going to help.
I’m not talking about getting something on a surface.

Never have I ever heard of such a thing in regards to hygiene in regards to the flu or an airborne disease...but if it’s the case I gotta believe every healthcare person in the world would have repeatedly mentioned it, especially with the present pandemic.

Old 04-01-2020, 06:23 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,694,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
The New England Journal of Medicine claims it may stay in the air for half an hour and I think on steel or plastic for two or three days. I think your odds are decidedly better if you stay home, limit your grocery trips to every other week, and do everything the CDC asks people to do, but you can’t do much about people who think they’re smarter than the epidemiologists.
Keep in mind that those tests are done in a vacuum inside a drum that is constantly rotating. In the real world, humidity and gravity help to pull those airborne droplets and/or aerosols to the ground.

Old 04-01-2020, 06:23 PM

987 posts, read 780,595 times
Quote:
I didn’t ask if you got the flu, but if you don’t know the answer it’s probably best you stay inside forever.
If you do not have anything helpful to say, maybe try saying nothing at all next time instead.

Old 04-01-2020, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul359 View Post
If you do not have anything helpful to say, maybe try saying nothing at all next time instead.
I gave you the answers. If you don’t want to accept them, maybe try not to continue to ask them.

Old 04-01-2020, 06:36 PM

Quote:
I’m not talking about getting something on a surface.

Never have I ever heard of such a thing in regards to hygiene in regards to the flu or an airborne disease...but if it’s the case I gotta believe every healthcare person in the world would have repeatedly mentioned it, especially with the present pandemic.
From Wikipedia:

Hygiene is a series of practices performed to preserve health. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), "Hygiene refers to conditions and practices that help to maintain health and prevent the spread of diseases."

When they say hygiene, they simply mean any behavior to prevent the spread of disease. They aren't suggesting that anyone who gets sick is Pigpen running around with a dust cloud of filth behind him.

Have you missed the incessant public service campaign about hand washing and using hand sanitizer in situations where washing is not feasible?

Were you never taught not to touch your eyes, nose, or mouth with unclean hands, especially during cold and flu season?

The campaign for Europeans to stop kissing on the cheek and for Americans to stop shaking hands? These all relate to hygiene.

In some Asian countries, hygiene practices extend to wearing masks, particularly in crowded environments, such as public transportation.

ETA: The term "personal hygiene," which I assume you are thinking of, does refer to not reeking of BO.

Old 04-01-2020, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippy View Post
From Wikipedia:

Hygiene is a series of practices performed to preserve health. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), "Hygiene refers to conditions and practices that help to maintain health and prevent the spread of diseases."

When they say hygiene, they simply mean any behavior to prevent the spread of disease. They aren't suggesting that anyone who gets sick is Pigpen running around with a dust cloud of filth behind him.

Have you missed the incessant public service campaign about hand washing and using hand sanitizer in situations where washing is not feasible?

Were you never taught not to touch your eyes, nose, or mouth with unclean hands, especially during cold and flu season?

The campaign for Europeans to stop kissing on the cheek and for Americans to stop shaking hands? These all relate to hygiene.

In some Asian countries, hygiene practices extend to wearing masks, particularly in crowded environments, such as public transportation.
Who is arguing against that? Have you missed the part of the conversation about getting the flu/diseases via “airborne”?

eta: Your assumption is as off as your comprehension of the term “airborne”.

Old 04-01-2020, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Who is arguing against that? Have you missed the part of the conversation about getting the flu/diseases via “airborne”?
While the flu/viruses can be airborne, they can also be spread from surface-to-surface contact. So, while only a mask or distance/isolation can prevent airborne transmission, hygiene practices can prevent surface-to-surface transmission. It is generally believed (although, who knows who to trust at this point) that surface-to-surface transmission is the more prevalent route. Therefore, by following certain hygiene practices, you can mitigate some risk, at least as far as surface-to-surface transmission goes.

I honestly thought that you were saying that you have never heard that the flu/viruses could be transmitted via surfaces, and that you never heard of doctors recommending any hygiene practices to avoid infection. Sorry if I was off base.

Old 04-01-2020, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippy View Post
While the flu/viruses can be airborne, they can also be spread from surface-to-surface contact. So, while only a mask or distance/isolation can prevent airborne transmission, hygiene practices can prevent surface-to-surface transmission. It is generally believed (although, who knows who to trust at this point) that surface-to-surface transmission is the more prevalent route. Therefore, by following certain hygiene practices, you can mitigate some risk, at least as far as surface-to-surface transmission goes.

I honestly thought that you were saying that you have never heard that the flu/viruses could be transmitted via surfaces, and that you never heard of doctors recommending any hygiene practices to avoid infection. Sorry if I was off base.
Again, nobody is arguing against hygiene and getting something via surfaces.

I said “airborne” repeatedly. Really can’t be much clearer.

Old 04-01-2020, 07:07 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,995,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
The New England Journal of Medicine claims it may stay in the air for half an hour
If that is the case, you might as well forget our economy. Maybe we should let nature takes is course. Seriously, we have no chance if true. We are all getting it. Might be much better to get it now while hospitals are very quiet in our region.

Time to cut loose and just enjoy life like there is no tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: