Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 10:56 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,905,047 times

Advertisements

That was pretty condescending.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 11:00 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,160,561 times
Quote:
You should feel free to participate in any thread where you feel you have something on topic to contribute.
If I was to do this I would ruin the forum (err...more than it already is?) for others. People often just want to talk about a topic without hearing nay-sayers.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:26 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,047,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
That was pretty condescending.
I'm not sure why you think that, since I don't think anything I have said implies that I view you as having inferior status. Of course, I am frustrated over being misinterpreted, but that isn't the same thing as being condescending.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:30 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,047,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
If I was to do this I would ruin the forum (err...more than it already is?) for others. People often just want to talk about a topic without hearing nay-sayers.
I can't claim to speak for everyone, but I for one always appreciate a civil discussion with people who have differing viewpoints. Of course, the "civil discussion" part of that is quite important.

And if one really insists on only discussing a topic with like-minded people, you can just ignore those who disagree. But if you want a place where you literally don't have to even go through the effort of ignoring people who don't agree with you, then an open forum like this is not the right sort of place.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:53 PM

125 posts, read 398,932 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckles1821
I am not playing with anyone. I genuinely wish people could discuss things without it getting personal. And while I have a different opinion about the level of rudeness in the city, I think I have been respectful the whole time.

I agree. And I accept your explanation of your first response, as I said.
My quote there was directed toward londonbarcelona, not you.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:54 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,716,287 times
Trust me on this one. My guess would be that people conduct themselves on message boards more or less the way they conduct themselves anywhere. The OP tends to get bogged down in every forum in which he posts, mostly by initially insulting people and then piling it on. The worst customer service out of all the places I've lived was in Atlanta, by far. Southern hospitality is a myth that refuses to die. Pittsburgh seems to be the most polite place I've lived, actually. Let's face it, customer service usually involves dealing with teenagers who don't really care about their jobs, but it's no worse here than anywhere else I've been, and it might be somewhat better. Some people just ask for it, is all.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:08 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,905,047 times
Quote:
Some people just ask for it, is all.
I don't know. What ever happened to "the customer is always right"? I think more employee training would help. In my job, we have to be nice to the patients, even if they aren't nice to us. That's what customer service is about. That said, I doubt it's worse in Pgh than anywhere else.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:14 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,716,287 times
Quote:
I don't know. What ever happened to "the customer is always right"? I think more employee training would help. In my job, we have to be nice to the patients, even if they aren't nice to us. That's what customer service is about. That said, I doubt it's worse in Pgh than anywhere else.
I totally agree. I'm mostly referring to the fact that if one is generally reviled on an internet forum, it's not a huge stretch to assume the revulsion is universal. Some people just provoke that reaction by the way they conduct themselves, sometimes even before the first word is spoken.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:55 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,160,561 times
Quote:
I'm mostly referring to the fact that if one is generally reviled on an internet forum, it's not a huge stretch to assume the revulsion is universal.
I addressed this concern in this thread. If the issue was me and my wife personally, then we would receive the same attitude no matter where we go. This is not the case.

How many more old threads are you going to dig up?

Old 07-09-2008, 12:46 AM

15,642 posts, read 26,292,199 times
Quote:
"The customer is always right" died about the same time those on that side of the counter served rotten horrid people like themselves.

Even though we run a janitorial company,we do a lot of customer service. It's, in fact, a hallmark of our company -- we care. We really really do.

But that is not a license for a customer to treat us horribly or rip us off. And we are happily not treated badly for the most part, we do have people nickel and dime us, and try to get freebies, and try to get around the contract.

And yes -- we've had to "draw a few lines in the sand". Have we lost customers? Hell, yeah. And they were customers we were happy to lose. There's only about four, but three of them were in the process of me writing the letter firing them.

The fourth? I got chucked out. I still have no idea what happened... although I can hazard a guess. About the time I took over the contract, apparently someone took advantage and started stealing. This place allowed owners to hang out in the hallways their own art and some furniture -- console tables, sideboards; that sort of stuff. And since the people that lived there OWNED the stuff, when some of it started disappearing, I just assumed that the owners of the stuff took it back into their units.

It also happened just as I started -- and I didn't really KNOW what was out there or not. I can't memorize a four floor place in one go round. After 10 years at one place, I still have to really count and figure out whose balcony is whose.

So when I was asked about the missing stuff I wasn't clear about what was missing.... and it may have sounded like I was being evasive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh