Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2021, 08:28 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,052,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
Aside from good idea or not, good luck getting people to take the job even. How much would you need to pay people to police unarmed? I would never do it.
ive lost all faith in the local level democrat party for this reason. they accept without question anything that comes under the guise of protecting people, when its about protecting criminal activity.

you poll EVERY resident of select neighborhoods, like the Hill District, and aside from a few of the overweight, loud annoying women who are socially conscious, and some brainwashed youths, i bet 60% would say "defind the police? hell no!" because they know that what would fill that void of power is criminal activity.

and the next time some thug with a record pages long meets the law and it ends badly, and there is outcry and violence, the white skinny antifa will be there to make sure there is enough destruction.

and in this forum i am on record of being supportive of Biden since his election....but at the local level, Lord have mercy what arer you democrats doing to this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2021, 08:32 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,196,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Often? Probably not. I looked it up and there are approximately 29 million police-initiated contacts with individuals over the course of a year. Last year 45 police died due to gunfire - most of whom were likely not conducting routine traffic stops at the time.

I don't think cop lives are magically worth more than the lives of anyone else. And someone is not a criminal until they are tried and convicted in a court of law. At most they are a suspect.

It's done in other countries, I don't see why it cannot be done in some circumstances here.

I didn't argue that they shouldn't stop pulling people over traffic stops, though I think road design plays a bigger role in limiting fatalities of pedestrians and cyclists than enforcement.

We don't typically have cops give out parking tickets do we?
Yet it happens.

I’d wager many, especially victims families, would definitely disagree. Criminals simply think their lives are more important than others, especially violent criminals.

How many countries do it?

I’d wager folks, including their families, would argue differently when a cyclist or pedestrian gets hit by a car.

Quite the strawman argument. Who said anything about parking tickets? Who are you going to have writing traffic violations?

Just think if folks obeyed the laws, and criminals wouldn’t be criminals, there wouldn’t be a need for cops.

Last edited by erieguy; 04-24-2021 at 08:42 AM..

Old 04-24-2021, 10:17 AM

611 posts, read 364,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
ive lost all faith in the local level democrat party for this reason.

The "democrat" party? It's strange that you "lost all faith" in a party that doesn't even exist.

Old 04-24-2021, 12:42 PM

22 posts, read 3,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Yet it happens.

I’d wager many, especially victims families, would definitely disagree. Criminals simply think their lives are more important than others, especially violent criminals.

How many countries do it?

I’d wager folks, including their families, would argue differently when a cyclist or pedestrian gets hit by a car.

Quite the strawman argument. Who said anything about parking tickets? Who are you going to have writing traffic violations?

Just think if folks obeyed the laws, and criminals wouldn’t be criminals, there wouldn’t be a need for cops.
What about when cops kill pedestrians?
https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...olice/2486005/
https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/...solano-county/
or what is the saying about "a few bad apples", doesn't it ruin the bunch
"In 2005, a fellow officer filed a federal lawsuit alleging that Redanauer recklessly shot him while they were trying to make an arrest, when Redanauer allegedly “had no justification to use deadly force.” In that shooting, which took place in 2003, police officials had initially claimed that the shot was fired by an unidentified gunman. The lawsuit was settled in 2007.

In 2016, Redanauer was sued in Common Pleas Court in a personal injury case that was settled the following year. A woman had gone to Northwest Detectives to file a police report for a domestic violence incident, but Redanauer allegedly threw her against a vending machine when she complained about not getting prompt service, according to her attorney, Paul Messing."
https://www.inquirer.com/news/philad...-20210422.html
But yeah I'm sure something that effectively has no meaningful change over current practice is a big deal, and you're not just full of crap or anything, obviously the police are sweet little angels that could never do anything wrong.

Old 04-24-2021, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchez718 View Post
What about when cops kill pedestrians?
https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...olice/2486005/
https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/...solano-county/
or what is the saying about "a few bad apples", doesn't it ruin the bunch
"In 2005, a fellow officer filed a federal lawsuit alleging that Redanauer recklessly shot him while they were trying to make an arrest, when Redanauer allegedly “had no justification to use deadly force.” In that shooting, which took place in 2003, police officials had initially claimed that the shot was fired by an unidentified gunman. The lawsuit was settled in 2007.

In 2016, Redanauer was sued in Common Pleas Court in a personal injury case that was settled the following year. A woman had gone to Northwest Detectives to file a police report for a domestic violence incident, but Redanauer allegedly threw her against a vending machine when she complained about not getting prompt service, according to her attorney, Paul Messing."
https://www.inquirer.com/news/philad...-20210422.html
But yeah I'm sure something that effectively has no meaningful change over current practice is a big deal, and you're not just full of crap or anything, obviously the police are sweet little angels that could never do anything wrong.
Interesting how you quoted me but didn’t answer any of the questions

There’s bad apples in most every profession. Who said there weren’t bad apples?

The police will be the first ones you call when you’re in distress and need help...but I definitely agree with total police defunding as I’d like to see social workers whip the criminals into shape.

Old 04-24-2021, 01:00 PM

22 posts, read 3,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Interesting how you quoted me but didn’t answer any of the questions

There’s bad apples in most every profession. Who said there weren’t bad apples?

The police will be the first ones you call when you’re in distress and need help...but I definitely agree with total police defunding as I’d like to see social workers whip the criminals into shape.
What questions? You're posts are unclear and dumb, anyone responding to you including myself is wasting their time. Stop being miserable online and go out and experience something nice instead of posting about crime online like some kind of sad loser.

Old 04-24-2021, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchez718 View Post
What questions? You're posts are unclear and dumb, anyone responding to you including myself is wasting their time. Stop being miserable online and go out and experience something nice instead of posting about crime online like some kind of sad loser.
Lol. I clearly posted questions in the first post of mine you quoted.

I experience nice things all the time. The media is posting it. I’m simply linking it. Are you saying the media is wrong?

Old 04-24-2021, 05:02 PM

166 posts, read 91,245 times
Quote:
At first I was confused why someone like you would be advocating for pedestrians over drivers...and then I realized it was an excuse to stoke anti-Peduto (and anti-black) grievance.

I think ending routine traffic stops is a bad idea. However, I think we should examine the possibility of either not having police officers be the ones who stop cars in traffic, or at minimum not having cops armed when they pull over people. Keep the gun locked in the trunk, and make them actively go back and take it out if they feel the need.
You sound like a simpleton. I would love for you to take a ride with Pittsburgh police on a code 3 call without wetting yourself. Do you even see what you’re typing????

Old 04-24-2021, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old96 View Post
You sound like a simpleton. I would love for you to take a ride with Pittsburgh police on a code 3 call without wetting yourself. Do you even see what you’re typing????
Bingo...as would most who complain about the police. They’re also the same folks that are calling them ASAP when they’re in a bad situation.

Old 04-24-2021, 06:08 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,540,417 times
Quote:
I think ending routine traffic stops is a bad idea. However, I think we should examine the possibility of either not having police officers be the ones who stop cars in traffic, or at minimum not having cops armed when they pull over people. Keep the gun locked in the trunk, and make them actively go back and take it out if they feel the need.
I'm assuming your entire post was satire. Cuz if not
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh