Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2021, 05:33 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,900,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higherho View Post
I dislike it where a corporations belief structure is very anti social / religious then push that outward. These groups exercised their constitutional rights and the owners felt it was the right thing to do. Good for them.
Then you should also be able to understand when the shoe is on the other foot - why people may dislike it when a corporations belief structure is very politically Progressive. Some people may, for example, simply want to watch sports to be entertained and to temporarily be distracted from the burdens of their own lives without having politics shoved down their throats by a corporation pandering to 'wokeness'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2021, 05:45 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,900,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doowlle34 View Post
Certainly "cancel culture" isn't the bugaboo that it is made out to be by the reactionary right, but there is some "there there."
An aspect of a totalitarian society is when everything in that society becomes politicized. We see this more from the left than from the right. Theology is politicized. Entertainment is politicized. What type of car we drive is politicized. And now even chicken sandwiches are politicized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doowlle34 View Post
One objection here, the characterization of these views as “religious.” I refuse to cede “religion” to these folks.
Now you're engaging in cancel culture yourself as you're attempting to negate their theological basis for their point of view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higherho View Post
The company owners came out and said as such that it goes against their Christian faith and technically speaking, the Bible provides them enough information to base it off that from the Old Testament and they never refuted it in the new. Of course I don’t want to drag this out to a religious debate, I wanted to explain myself why I made the statement.
Bingo.

Old 07-22-2021, 05:46 AM

807 posts, read 617,212 times
Frankly, is there a "gayer" barnyard animal than the chicken? I mean the male chicken is literally called, "the ****."

Well, apparently, city-data is anti-****!

Last edited by Doowlle34; 07-22-2021 at 05:48 AM.. Reason: Express my disgust about not being able to accurately describe a male chicken (C.O.C.K.)!

Old 07-22-2021, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
Now you're engaging in cancel culture yourself as you're attempting to negate their theological basis for their point of view.
I'm not sure. I grew up in the Catholic Church in the 1980s, and in particular, small town, blue collar Catholicism. If somebody had told ten-year-old me that there existed bougie Catholics like Bill Barr and Brett Kavanaugh, I would have been incredibly surprised. Given my limited worldview at the time, I figured all Catholics were Polish and Italian steelworkers and their families -- certainly none of whom were "Reagan Democrats." I recall that we had a priest for a time who was transferred from a parish near Sewickley. He let it be known that he much preferred his former, wealthier congregation as opposed to the working class dagos and polacks up in Ellwood City.

In any event, as I got to college and met openly gay folks for the first time, I guess I saw it as a natural outgrowth of my Catholicism that I would support gay rights and gay marriage. So, to me, support for gay marriage is a very "Christian" act.

Old 07-22-2021, 06:36 AM

611 posts, read 365,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
But it worked. They got Chick-fil A out of the stadium. Bullying is working. You can yawn, but when will people start standing up to the few?

There is no basis for this either. The donation matter was resolved with apology years ago.

I do think the Riverhounds look silly caving to a few whinny snowflakes.

LOL, it did work, fake outrage threads like this, from the people upset about Starbucks cups are created.

I bet Twitter and the politics forum here are clutching their pearls.

Old 07-22-2021, 07:15 AM

I think we support the same goal here, but to me -- it's a question of tactics. Bring Chick-Fil-A into the stadium, and show pictures of wholesome, gay couples with kids enjoying Chick-Fil-A -- and shame the founder. The message being, you G-D hypocrite - how dare you couch your opposition to these families in "Christian" beliefs.

Old 07-22-2021, 07:49 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Then you should also be able to understand when the shoe is on the other foot - why people may dislike it when a corporations belief structure is very politically Progressive. Some people may, for example, simply want to watch sports to be entertained and to temporarily be distracted from the burdens of their own lives without having politics shoved down their throats by a corporation pandering to 'wokeness'.
I certainly lost interest in sports in general. It used to be a break from the everyday, but there are no breaks with these liberals. They are relentless bullying every single moment of every single day. If it isn't their way it is WRONG! That is why I like hanging around more moderate conservative types. They are still live and let live and don't whine about everything.

Tell that to the people in the insanely long lines at Chick fil A. lol.

Bottom line is there are very few uneducated people that made this happen.

I say uneducated because they don't donate to anyone that is anti gay.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/18/busin...ons/index.html

They are just a company that treats employees well above the industry standard. Maybe the Riverhounds will get McDonalds to jump in there. That would be a better fit for all those ultra-leftist fans they have that prance around telling everyone else how to live. They sure are an ugly bunch in every way.

Old 07-22-2021, 08:05 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbraybarten65 View Post
LOL, it did work, fake outrage threads like this, from the people upset about Starbucks cups are created.

I bet Twitter and the politics forum here are clutching their pearls.
1. I am not outraged by it. It is Pittsburgh news and important to see another company cave to people that are uneducated.
2. There is nothing "fake" about this crazy movement that is having a huge effect on Pittsburgh. Have you been downtown lately? No one wants to go there anymore. Welcome to our new norm. Why? This movement you seem to think is nothing.
3. The Riverhounds should have looked into Chick fil A before caving in to the bullying. I researched this years ago when the bullies were trying to take the company down, which seemed to work in the opposite. The CEO donated money to religious groups (oh my!!!!!) and some of them believed a marriage should be between a man and woman. I don't even think an owner of such a huge company would even know a detail like that, but I digress. YEARS ago, they stop donating to any group that didn't welcome gay marriage. That has been announced on all news sources, so your CNN/NPR hyped up news you use is even included.

Now go get yourself a chicken sandwich.

Old 07-22-2021, 08:06 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,054,189 times
Quote:

WORD! (are people still using 'word' or 'word up'? I think that was retired a long time ago...)

really, what happened to LIFE, to just LIVING. EVERYTHING is a minefield of explosive "backlash" and verbal warring across social platforms.

now some guy in Japan associated w/ the Olympics got into trouble and was fired (i think) because of a COMEDY skit he did over THIRTY YEARS AGO. now from what i heard, it was gruesome - something to do with the Holocaust (i take it that is the attempted genocide by the German government under Hitler). OK, bad taste. hurtful....but THREE DECADES ago, when the guy was a dumb kid trying to make a living in comedy (i believe that was his employ), in a country where standup comedy is disgusting, wild, and insane.

you want to go back 30 years into each of our lives and find improprieties that would suspend us from citi-data? this forum would be EMPTY of any posts or replies for weeks.

Old 07-22-2021, 09:10 AM

611 posts, read 365,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
1. I am not outraged by it.

Oh, ok.

Sure.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh