Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2021, 09:51 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,995,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbraybarten65 View Post
Oh, ok.

Sure.

Like I said on another thread here. I really don't get personal about issues. Why would I really be upset? I just think people should understand the bullying that goes on by a tiny group. It is news to Pittsburgh and needs to be stated, so people understand small groups of people can speak louder than majorities.

You can enjoy pretending I care that much. It means nothing to me other than people should know about it. That was you can go to a game with a Chick fil A bag full of food for the game. Maybe they should open up next door and sell togo bags. ha, ha, ha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2021, 11:39 AM

408 posts, read 232,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
Then you should also be able to understand when the shoe is on the other foot - why people may dislike it when a corporations belief structure is very politically Progressive. Some people may, for example, simply want to watch sports to be entertained and to temporarily be distracted from the burdens of their own lives without having politics shoved down their throats by a corporation pandering to 'wokeness'.
But the shoe is not apples to apples. Most progressive companies are about inclusion rather than exclusion or a strong disdain for hate speech for example (I personally don’t care about this one). Not a narrow minded focus. The individuals who say beliefs shoved down their throats when it comes to social norms, simply sounds to me like a learning / education problem not to mention the potential of being a bigot. I don’t see how it affects them in anyway compared to something like this main topic of this thread which does affect a group of individuals.

This is also one reason why the Supreme Court rules in on topics as such when it comes to people saying items like “This affects my X beliefs” but in the public square if those beliefs affects the larger audience in discrimination then it is frowned upon and illegal. Then if those same people keep saying the same thing as I mentioned above, then it really does boil down to being a bigot.

Old 07-22-2021, 12:39 PM

611 posts, read 365,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Like I said on another thread here. I really don't get personal about issues. Why would I really be upset?

Because you brought up a silly "issue."

The right has tried to cancel countless things over DECADES. They had a tantrum over Starbucks cups.
I don't care. They can have at it. It's noise.

Old 07-22-2021, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbraybarten65 View Post
Because you brought up a silly "issue."

The right has tried to cancel countless things over DECADES. They had a tantrum over Starbucks cups.
I don't care. They can have at it. It's noise.
Open your eyes to other people’s views and opinions. I don’t know anything about your Starbucks story. The is a Pittsburgh forum. Also I realize it is hard to understand for many, but more intelligent people look at subjects and don’t lump things together. It is called thinking. Trends are part of thinking.

Anyway I am not interested in discussing your silly broad political assumptions. I vote for people and ideas, not party. It would be hard to really have dialogue with extremists.

Good luck.

Old 07-22-2021, 04:11 PM

611 posts, read 365,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Open your eyes to other people’s views and opinions. I don’t know anything about your Starbucks story. The is a Pittsburgh forum. Also I realize it is hard to understand for many, but more intelligent people look at subjects and don’t lump things together. It is called thinking. Trends are part of thinking.

Anyway I am not interested in discussing your silly broad political assumptions. I vote for people and ideas, not party. It would be hard to really have dialogue with extremists.

Good luck.

My statements were for context. I'm not in a political party, so that line is meaningless to me.

Old 07-22-2021, 06:09 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,687,441 times
Wow. An ongoing thread about two entities that are meaningless and life will go on without them whether they exist or not.

If Chick Fil a and the river hounds disappeared tomorrow I wouldn’t notice. And some people think I have bad taste in food with the original oyster house. We are talking about Kentucky Fried Chicken lite.

Old 07-22-2021, 08:00 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,059,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
Wow. An ongoing thread about two entities that are meaningless and life will go on without them whether they exist or not.

If Chick Fil a and the river hounds disappeared tomorrow I wouldn’t notice. And some people think I have bad taste in food with the original oyster house. We are talking about Kentucky Fried Chicken lite.
yeah, i just don't get the allure of Chik-fil-A. But then, I hadn't tried it in maybe 8 years at this point. Every attempt ("Oh, there's one in that strip mall....let me grab something...") is met with failure since I just don't think waiting in a line of cars, wasting gasoline, is ever worth it for fattening, unhealthy food (by comparison to a home made meal) . if anything, that is the worst of America - and I stick up for America.

Old 07-22-2021, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
If Chick Fil a and the river hounds disappeared tomorrow I wouldn’t notice.
This is a response I see from most everyone these days. Can't anyone see beyond themselves ever?

What about the people that worked at the Chick fil A at the stadium? F'm, it ain't me!

My point is simple. When do people start standing up to these minority interests that are very uneducated to say the least.

At the end of the day, I don't care, but I don't like people being bullied. Never did. I am a VERY big man and I was a VERY big boy in school at all grades. I certainly didn't get picked on by classmates and I also prevented bullying by some classmates as they were a-holes. I guess I haven't change in that regard and I am proud of it. At some point bullies need to get taken down a few pegs.

Enjoy the night. I know I will.

Old 07-22-2021, 09:54 PM

807 posts, read 617,842 times
I don't quite get GG's need to categorize this behavior as bullying -- was he perhaps harassed by some Seinfeld-type "street toughs" at some point in his life?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkp5wuuarOs

Whether or not you agree with the action, it seems more like a group within society who generally hasn't had much power, but who are now able -- through greater acceptance and the power of social media -- to exercise more power. Perhaps GG doesn't like these folks getting to exercise power?

On the other hand, in terms of the folks exercising the power, perhaps they should consider the wise words of Pittsburgh native, Jeff Goldblum:

Yeah, but you . . . were so preoccupied with whether or not [you] could, [you] didn't stop to think if [you] should.

Old 07-22-2021, 09:57 PM

807 posts, read 617,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
WORD! (are people still using 'word' or 'word up'? I think that was retired a long time ago...)
In a space in my brain that should, unfortunately, be storing some more useful information, I have instead saved a murky recollection of an MTV News segment from the late 1980s or early 1990s. In this segment, I seem to recall that a group of New York-based hip hop artists held a mock funeral for the word, "Word."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh