Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2022, 06:11 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,227,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBarnDance View Post
Politics and the oldest largest group of people alive is an easy outlet to place blame on. It’s been done for decades and is nothing new. Neither are a reason for one to underachieve or be fearful of taking a chance on something new. Humans like comfort and calm. Changing jobs is uncomfortable and a state of unknown. Few people are risk takers. Those that are usually end up much better off, face failure and challenges to overcome and succeed. Those that aren’t blame politicians or people they don’t even know why they are stuck and unhappy. And usually those that blame politicians are disconnected by their own choice, not involved in their community, sit behind computer screens and rant. Instead of putting effort into bettering themselves.

Loyalty doesn’t pay. Job hopping and taking chances gets you ahead. That’s just how it is.
You’ve certainly done your share of blaming politicians…and especially boomers for supposedly holding folks back. Great to hear you changing your tune

Old 10-23-2022, 07:52 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,601,583 times
It's too bad I died of the covid vaccine. I bet I would have been a great help to the local labor force.

Old 10-23-2022, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
It's too bad I died of the covid vaccine. I bet I would have been a great help to the local labor force.
Funny you say that as those who chose not to take the experimental shot should’ve been dead long ago, the shot was never to stop the virus, and the Moderna CEO says only the vulnerable should get booster/s

Moderna's CEO admits only the vulnerable need a COVID booster and likens the virus to flu

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...ster-shot.html

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QtgQWCA8s6o&t=76s

Last edited by erieguy; 10-23-2022 at 08:38 PM..

Old 10-24-2022, 06:40 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,647,109 times
It's just interesting that the same people telling folks to "get better jobs" are incredulous when those folks DO get better jobs, and, as a result of their previous positions being left vacant, have to face longer wait times.

Again, if I personally run off and get a better job while knowing my current position won't be able to be filled then how does that fix the problems at my existing organization?

I'll continue to just "quiet quit".

Old 10-24-2022, 06:53 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,647,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
Youre one of the very few people on this board who know what I do for work (and I trust you that you wont publicly mention it) - and we got a 2.75% raise this year. My mental health still hasnt fully recovered from 2020, and the stress permanently changed my body (I previously had a poor sense of hearing, the stress from the abuse the public inflicted upon me gave me stress-induced tinnitus for weeks, and afterwards I now have a very acute sense of hearing).
After everything I gave to society, I got a raise of less than half of the rate of inflation.
I was in the office every day - sometimes in March 2020, I was literally the only car on 28.

The benefits are what keeps me around. Thats pretty much it.
Yeah, I interact regularly with peers within other departments of your employer, and their morale is near rock-bottom, too. Their colleagues keep leaving, too, and are not being replaced, just like with my own employer. I am sorry for the way you have been treated.

Old 10-24-2022, 07:09 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,601,583 times
Wages need to go up for the lowest paid half of the workforce, even the ones that are Nazis.

Old 10-24-2022, 07:15 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,461,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post

Again, if I personally run off and get a better job while knowing my current position won't be able to be filled then how does that fix the problems at my existing organization?

I'll continue to just "quiet quit".
Im not sure your points are really in line. You dont want to leave because that would potentially hurt or not help your current organization, but will stay and do the bare min to not get fired? I dont really follow the logic here.

Its not your responsibility to fix your employers issues, its your responsibility to do the best for your own organization( yourself/family/friends etc). If you have the opportunity to be paid significantly more for comparable work, that should equate to a better mental state and personal fulfillment. In turn the additional money should also help you stabilize your personal finances and build a more solid foundation for your future. This also will reduce stress and give you more opportunity to be charitable in how you see fit. This again should give you a better sense of well being and fulfillment.

I could be wrong, but it would seem that grinding through life in a job that one feels the need to "quiet quit" would be a real downer on your mental health. I get it if there are no other opportunities, but that is clearly not the case in todays labor market. Being comfortable in ones daily routine is probably the single biggest thing I see that holds people back from their potential.

I constantly tell my partner to shop around job offers to see her worth and present it to her current employer at yearly review. We are pretty certain she will be getting around a 25% raise next year but if not, she will jump employers and get at least that much of an increase.

Remember, if an employer doesn't pay you at least 10% more next year, you are actually getting a pay cut in terms of buying power.

Old 10-24-2022, 09:07 AM

^^^^
Bingo

Old 10-24-2022, 09:36 AM

15 posts, read 9,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jea6321 View Post
Im not sure your points are really in line. You dont want to leave because that would potentially hurt or not help your current organization, but will stay and do the bare min to not get fired? I dont really follow the logic here.

Its not your responsibility to fix your employers issues, its your responsibility to do the best for your own organization( yourself/family/friends etc). If you have the opportunity to be paid significantly more for comparable work, that should equate to a better mental state and personal fulfillment. In turn the additional money should also help you stabilize your personal finances and build a more solid foundation for your future. This also will reduce stress and give you more opportunity to be charitable in how you see fit. This again should give you a better sense of well being and fulfillment.

I could be wrong, but it would seem that grinding through life in a job that one feels the need to "quiet quit" would be a real downer on your mental health. I get it if there are no other opportunities, but that is clearly not the case in todays labor market. Being comfortable in ones daily routine is probably the single biggest thing I see that holds people back from their potential.

I constantly tell my partner to shop around job offers to see her worth and present it to her current employer at yearly review. We are pretty certain she will be getting around a 25% raise next year but if not, she will jump employers and get at least that much of an increase.

Remember, if an employer doesn't pay you at least 10% more next year, you are actually getting a pay cut in terms of buying power.
This is a great response and I couldn’t agree more.

A bad labor market and economy was 2008. Maybe this missed some of the posters on this board. I find it interesting that people apparently “feel” the economy is slowing. I guess those folks were too young or not in the labor market back in 2008. And 2020 was terrible because many people were furloughed due to the virus. But that ended quickly in 2021.

There are more jobs than people. My wages skyrocketed. And i didn’t do it worrying about my current employer problems. It’s like a savior complex or something like that. But a lot of people live in their fears with change. That’s why a few get ahead and many others remain unhappy.

Nothing worth having is gained by staying status quo or staying comfortable. If you want to move up the ladder, you gotta take the necessary steps to do so. Being uncomfortable and taking risks is how you get ahead. I’m not sure the days ever existed where and employer is just going to pay you because you work hard and are loyal.

Old 12-10-2022, 08:10 AM

1,170 posts, read 537,275 times

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/RGMP38300
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh