Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2022, 07:45 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,045,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post

Heh, oops.
Yeah, not sure I believe the Census has fixed whatever the hell was ****ed with the American Community Survey. Lots of cities/metros had a projected drop which never manifested...then they went right back to projecting even bigger drops for 2021.

Old 12-12-2022, 09:36 AM

1,913 posts, read 740,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Contrary to what we’ve heard about young folks supposedly saving the country, this says otherwise. Living in fear and shutting it down continues to have huge consequences.

Young workers left Pennsylvania's labor force at the highest rates after the pandemic began

https://www.wesa.fm/economy-business...pandemic-began
I read recently that 1 in 4 20-somethings are living with mom. We see a few posting here.

Old 12-12-2022, 09:38 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,601,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggiezz View Post
I read recently that 1 in 4 20-somethings are living with mom. We see a few posting here.

Everyone here seems pretty old. Most of the names have been around for years.

Old 12-12-2022, 10:08 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,647,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Everyone here seems pretty old. Most of the names have been around for years.
I'm one of the younger ones on here, and I am in my mid-30's. I am pretty sure Eschaton, Erieguy, you, and most of the other regulars are Gen X'ers. We might have a Boomer or two (RetireInPA, Copanut, gg).

Old 12-12-2022, 10:09 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,227,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggiezz View Post
Would be no surprise. Tough to pay the bills when they choose not to work.

Old 12-12-2022, 10:11 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,647,109 times
Quote:
Contrary to what we’ve heard about young folks supposedly saving the country, this says otherwise. Living in fear and shutting it down continues to have huge consequences.

Young workers left Pennsylvania's labor force at the highest rates after the pandemic began

https://www.wesa.fm/economy-business...pandemic-began
Quote:
Are "gig" workers included in the labor force participation rate? For example, if you don't have a traditional 40-hour-per-week office job or trade job or manufacturing job but instead work 40 hours per week by doing 10 hours per week delivering GrubHub; 10 hours per week driving for Lyft; 10 hours per week doing Wag to walk dogs; etc.? Seems like the VAST majority of today's gig workers are Millennials.

Old 12-12-2022, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Are "gig" workers included in the labor force participation rate? For example, if you don't have a traditional 40-hour-per-week office job or trade job or manufacturing job but instead work 40 hours per week by doing 10 hours per week delivering GrubHub; 10 hours per week driving for Lyft; 10 hours per week doing Wag to walk dogs; etc.? Seems like the VAST majority of today's gig workers are Millennials.
It clearly states they’re choosing not to work. Perhaps you should research that and let us know.

Old 12-12-2022, 10:21 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,961,359 times
Quote:
Or easier to save for future use. My daughter lives at home and will continue to to so until she is financially set. I am focused on her saving and preparing for the future. My house is large enough to accommodate adult children.

Old 12-12-2022, 10:37 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,045,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Yes, they are included. Though interestingly, there's been a big discrepancy lately between the two labor force surveys.

Essentially, the BLS does two surveys every month. They survey businesses to see if they're hiring, and they survey individuals to see if they're employed. The former is used to report the number of jobs created/lost, the latter is used to come up with labor force participation/unemployment numbers.

The last few months have shown repeated robust job growth when it comes to the employer survey, but negative changes on labor force participation/static unemployment. The conclusion is that most of the job growth employers are posting must be because people are shifting from self-employed to collecting a company paycheck.

Old 12-12-2022, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
Or easier to save for future use. My daughter lives at home and will continue to to so until she is financially set. I am focused on her saving and preparing for the future. My house is large enough to accommodate adult children.
And tough to pay the bills when one doesn’t work as we’ve seen with the recent numbers. Adult children don’t take up much more space than adolescent children, so not a big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh