Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2009, 01:51 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,788,855 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
Was looking at Pittsburgh as a possible place to move to. Was wondering where the nice areas are?

I'm guessing inner city/urban is like every other northeastern city and pretty much not my cup of tea?

So where are the nicer 'burbs? (Which may, in fact be the very ones the urban types like to snub. In other words they may have McMansions in them. You know stucco and glass houses, etc.)

How about the more rural areas? Higher or lower prices out there?

And of course the converse question. Where are the "hoods" and areas to avoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 02:53 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,700,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
Hi All,
Was looking at Pittsburgh as a possible place to move to. Was wondering where the nice areas are?

I'm guessing inner city/urban is like every other northeastern city and pretty much not my cup of tea?
Well, what is your "cup of tea"?

Old 06-04-2009, 03:34 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,788,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
Well, what is your "cup of tea"?
Dense population, all concrete and asphalt, mid-rise/high-rise condos, high crime rates.

Many folks on these forums have blasted me for defending suburbs as a nicer way of life than urban. And beyond that I've always stated I felt estate living was superior to suburban. Basically more room is better.

But, especially during the 4.50 a gallon gas prices I caught a bit of flak for that.

I just don't care for downtown or high density living.

Old 06-04-2009, 05:58 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
Pittsburgh has lots of low-density suburbs and rural areas, many not all that far from the City as these things go. For example, one very nice low-density suburb with a nonetheless fairly convenient location is Fox Chapel. Sewickley Heights would also fit your description: it is the home to many actual estates, and I believe they have a 5-acre lot minimum. Note these are some of Pittsburgh's most expensive areas.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:05 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,815,051 times
As I've said before many times here on CD, I love the west area of the city. It's one of the last to develop and therefore something new is always going on whether it's a new housing plan or more shopping areas. We are very close to the airport and the parkway and 79 for easy travel into town. You can get an older home or a brand new one (mostly in plans). For neighborhoods there is Crafton, Ingram (older type neighborhoods), Robinson (the main shopping area), Rosslyn Heights, Kennedy, and Moon.

For rural, Oakdale is half and half, Imperial the same and beyond that it's gets pretty rural. Farms, lots of land etc. Bulger and Hookstown are two that come to mind.

Costs in Pittsburgh for housing is pretty low if you are looking at an established older type home. The newer plan homes range from 150,000's for a Maronda to 500,000 for the estate type plans. Taxes are a bit high for homes, most of which have little to no land with them.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:31 AM

120 posts, read 302,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Pittsburgh has lots of low-density suburbs and rural areas, many not all that far from the City as these things go. For example, one very nice low-density suburb with a nonetheless fairly convenient location is Fox Chapel. Sewickley Heights would also fit your description: it is the home to many actual estates, and I believe they have a 5-acre lot minimum. Note these are some of Pittsburgh's most expensive areas.
Brian is correct in suggesting Fox Chapel and Sewickley Heights.

Also look into Sewickley, Treesdale (which is in Mars and Pine Township I believe) Cranberry, Franklin Park, Wexford, Gibsonia, McCandless, Hampton Township, Allison Park, Edgeworth, Ben Avon, Mount Lebanon, Upper St. Clair and Peter's Township (McMurray and Venetia). Those are pretty much the most popular and nicest burbs in Pittsburgh.

If you are looking in the 600-700K's you can find a really nice place on a lot size that will make you regret ever wanting that much land to begin with! LOL

I'm kidding, I say that because we have an acre lot and do our own landscaping and it's been a challenge to say the least! Many of the yards here are all slanted, or at least a good chunk of it is.

Good luck in your search.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:42 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotlanta2 View Post
If you are looking in the 600-700K's you can find a really nice place on a lot size that will make you regret ever wanting that much land to begin with! LOL I'm kidding, I say that because we have an acre lot and do our own landscaping and it's been a challenge to say the least!
Well, there's your problem: with the sorts of income people usually have in Pittsburgh if they are buying a house in the 600-700s, they can usually afford to pay for a yard service.

Note that I am also mostly kidding (although the truth is that I wouldn't want to do the work myself on more than a postage-stamp yard, and I can't even imagine doing it on some of the multi-acre lots in the nicest estate-style developments).

Old 06-04-2009, 10:53 AM

120 posts, read 302,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Well, there's your problem: with the sorts of income people usually have in Pittsburgh if they are buying a house in the 600-700s, they can usually afford to pay for a yard service.

Note that I am also mostly kidding (although the truth is that I wouldn't want to do the work myself on more than a postage-stamp yard, and I can't even imagine doing it on some of the multi-acre lots in the nicest estate-style developments).
LOL, I know and we can. But it's something we are trying to "do together." We only have 3/4 of an acre, but it's all groomed and manicured so it's a timely process. Half the neighbors do it on their own, the other half has it done. It's something we enjoy, but it can take up much of the weekend if we get particular. My husband LOVES to weed-whack the garden edge and I like to garden. The grass can be a pain because depending on how much rain we have, it really needs to be done twice a week.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:48 AM

4 posts, read 10,525 times
The eastern suburb of Murrsville is rural, yet close to movie theaters and nice restaurants. Beautiful houses even in the $200,000 range. Lots of space around the houses. Lots & lots of parks. Great school district. But you would have to deal with a congested Parkway East ride if you worked in town. Public transportation is almost non-existent. A distance from the airport. Not the stunning into town view when coming in from the Ft.Pitt Tunnel.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:12 AM

1 posts, read 3,748 times
The most elite suberb is probably Ligonier. Although it is about 45 minutes out of the city, many high income earners still make the commute. Although you can find some good deals on housing there, if you are not willing to pay over the 7/800,000 mark, then its not a good place to look. Pine Township, Murrysville, and Upper St. Clair are all nice suberban areas with some decent housing prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh