Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 09:14 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Those "bland suburbs" are not as bland as you think.
He's trying to escape the planned suburban developments where all the houses look the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Actually, Old Town is probably less expensive since the houses are smaller, for the most part.
That's good! That's what he wants! He wants to be somewhere with character. That town area definitely has that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 09:43 AM

76 posts, read 319,420 times
Maybe I'm wrong but your looking at Pittsburgh vs. Denver with some of the wrong criteria.

Pittsburgh has a lot to offer zoo, sports teams, culture, cheap housing....but the foundation or social networking of the cities are different especially in the trade unions. Denver had a lot of growth since the 80's which makes it more of a melting pot. The Denver area makes it easy for you (being from out of state) to blend into the working force.

In Pittsburgh the slow growth or no growth has kept migration away from Pittsburgh..The same families have been here for 100 years..

Look around Pittsburgh, we still have born and raised (in Pittsburgh) cab drivers..clerks at the 7-11, and workers at the restaurants.

I know in some of the trade unions you better have family or a very good friend or you will never have a chance. In most of the unions around here it's the same families for generation after generation. Surely you must have seen this in Boston?

If you move here you will get the worst jobs due to someone taking care of their cousin, brother-in-law, or friend he went to high school with. I've seen it over and over in this area..and this doesn't just apply to the trade unions, it's everywhere.

Pittsburgh should be called Nepotismburg....Since I worked in other cities I know what it's like to be promoted due to merit not family. This area is the worst...... Pittsburgh is definitely not a melting pot anymore..and they take care of their own....especially in the unions....

Old 11-25-2009, 10:03 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,714,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokecitytdi View Post
Maybe I'm wrong but your looking at Pittsburgh vs. Denver with some of the wrong criteria.

Pittsburgh has a lot to offer zoo, sports teams, culture, cheap housing....but the foundation or social networking of the cities are different especially in the trade unions. Denver had a lot of growth since the 80's which makes it more of a melting pot. The Denver area makes it easy for you (being from out of state) to blend into the working force.

In Pittsburgh the slow growth or no growth has kept migration away from Pittsburgh..The same families have been here for 100 years..

Look around Pittsburgh, we still have born and raised (in Pittsburgh) cab drivers..clerks at the 7-11, and workers at the restaurants.

I know in some of the trade unions you better have family or a very good friend or you will never have a chance. In most of the unions around here it's the same families for generation after generation. Surely you must have seen this in Boston?

If you move here you will get the worst jobs due to someone taking care of their cousin, brother-in-law, or friend he went to high school with. I've seen it over and over in this area..and this doesn't just apply to the trade unions, it's everywhere.

Pittsburgh should be called Nepotismburg....Since I worked in other cities I know what it's like to be promoted due to merit not family. This area is the worst...... Pittsburgh is definitely not a melting pot anymore..and they take care of their own....especially in the unions....
That's strange. I got my (relatively well-paying) job after moving here not knowing anyone and having no family in Pennsylvania. I wonder what my secret is?

Also, I know somebody who moved here the same way (already in a union field, but down south where there aren't any unions) and got a nice union gig his first week here. I wonder what his secret is? I don't even like the Steelers! Crap, I probably just blew it.

Back to the outdated perceptions! Don't let me get in the way. Hey look everybody, the street lights are on! Must be a "smoke day" down at Jones-Laughlin.

Edit: When did it become such a bad thing to have a majority-native population? Probably in the 90s. I'm thinking of all the places in Europe I wouldn't live because they're full of people who, uh, grew up there and stayed.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Many people consider that a good thing. I do.

Quote:
That's not true anymore. The trades are desperate for apprentices. Since Pittsburgh doesn't have an immigrant population, the trades are having a hard time attracting people.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

That's not true anymore.
You just found Pittsburgh's new slogan!

Old 11-25-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
Somehow it just all works out!

Old 11-25-2009, 10:27 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,210,300 times
Hopes said: "That's not true anymore."
Quote:

Old 11-25-2009, 10:34 AM

OK, changed my status. Now I can spend a lot less time here battling the trolls/yinzers/ex-yinzers. Not sure if anybody noticed, but PITTSTEELERFAN is back. That's my cue to get out of here. I can't take it anymore.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:43 AM

1,719 posts, read 4,183,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It's great if he can live in a fantastic town, but is Denver like the problem he has in Phoenix when it comes to only being able to afford to live far away from everything?
Denver is not as sprawlish as Phoenix. While there are new developments where there are 100 houses that all look the same, there are a lot of older little homes on these quiet pleasant neighborhoods. To be honest, I actually prefer the look of the little homes to the big homogenous McMansion monstrosities that litter the landscape of this country. Denver is way better when it comes to walkable areas and cool places to live.

Another thing I noticed is that everybody out there is happy. I think it has to do with the sun. Also, the women are horny. They were throwing themselves at me and I don't even look that good. It's seriously like paradise out there. If only I could win the lottery. I would move there and spend my days snowboarding, drinking Chimay, hiking, and nailing hot chicks.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:48 AM

331 posts, read 673,197 times
Quote:
That's strange. I got my (relatively well-paying) job after moving here not knowing anyone and having no family in Pennsylvania. I wonder what my secret is?

Also, I know somebody who moved here the same way (already in a union field, but down south where there aren't any unions) and got a nice union gig his first week here. I wonder what his secret is? I don't even like the Steelers! Crap, I probably just blew it.

Back to the outdated perceptions! Don't let me get in the way. Hey look everybody, the street lights are on! Must be a "smoke day" down at Jones-Laughlin.

Edit: When did it become such a bad thing to have a majority-native population? Probably in the 90s. I'm thinking of all the places in Europe I wouldn't live because they're full of people who, uh, grew up there and stayed.
This is the second time you've commented on your "disliking" of the Steelers!... Enough with that!

And smoke city was very accurate with his discription about Pittsburgh and the unions. Just cause you and your friend experienced otherwise, doesn't mean that's the 'norm' in Pittsburgh.

Why do you need to insult people in order to make your point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh