Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 04:16 PM

199 posts, read 521,340 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to rent upon our return to Pittsburgh and may have found a duplex on Antenor Avenue just off of Overbrook Boulevard.

Is this the Carrick neighborhood?

My mother-in-law has often showed concern over places we may have found if we mention that they are in Carrick, but she didn't seem too concerned with this place.

We visited the neighborhood twice (once during the day and once at night) and never felt as if we were in any danger or anything. This would be a perfect location for us while I'm finishing up school, but if the neighborhood is dangerous we would obviously look elsewhere.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 07:24 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
You're closer to Overbrook than Carrick.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:04 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,938,735 times
Carrick is a GREAT area and Up and coming and your relative needs to get out more and check it ouf. loads of awesome deals for renters and home buyers.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:53 AM

3 posts, read 15,552 times
My 3 roommates and I are professionals renting in the south side slopes. Rent is getting expensive and we found this great place on Emerald St. Where is this concidered? Is it Carrick? And ths biggest question... will we be safe??!

Old 05-27-2010, 10:07 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,720,168 times
I'm pretty sure that Emerald Street is in Arlington which is a horrible area. Carrick is pretty bad as well, but Arlington is far worse.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:22 PM

2 posts, read 4,098 times
I know people who live on Antenor, and I have seen the duplexes. It is a fine area, the only thing is there is a lot of cut-through traffic.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:14 AM

1,014 posts, read 3,587,137 times
Carrick Imho is more distressed looking in some spots than downright dangerous. It does however has some sketch toward the northern border and that I would avoid.The further south you go toward the Overbrook neighborhood in the city and the suburbs of Brentwood and Baldwin it becomes nicer. It mainly has old timers and lower income whites which some of them can be a tad bit on the rough side.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:42 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,720,168 times
Carrick is very strange in the way that it's sketchy in random areas. In general, the closer you get to Brentwood the nicer it becomes, however you can't even be sure of that anymore.

If you travel down Brownsville road towards Brentwood, for two blocks it's "the hood". Multiple tattoo shops, an "urban" clothing store, creepy hole in the wall bars, and a sketchy liquor store. I saw a fist fight in the middle of street there a few months ago. Then as soon as you reach Brentwood all of the riff raff is gone.

Overall though, it IS a bit dangerous. I posted in another thread about my experiences living here:

Mt. Oliver & Carrick area

Old 06-15-2010, 02:01 PM

2 posts, read 6,510 times
I bought a house in Carrick about 2 years ago. It's an old victorian that needed some work, and it was only $40k. The area has a bad reputation that I think is undeserved. All of my neighbors have always been wonderful (except one who leaves his dogs out late, but that happens everywhere!) and I have NEVER felt unsafe. I used to rent in Shadyside, and my apartment building and roomates' cars were burglarized several times... none of that happens on my street in Carrick. Maybe it's because people just assume that no one in that neighborhood has anything worth stealing? I don't know, but I like it. I do avoid the Foodland, though, because it's pretty gross... I think it's worth it to drive to Brentwood or South Side to go to Giant Eagle instead.
Anyhow, the person who said that certain parts are better than others is right- and I think it gets better as you move away from Mt. Oliver toward Brentwood. However, I wouldn't consider ANY of the areas "BAD." (I've lived in Oakland, CA, and I consider THAT "bad!" The only neighborhoods in Pittsburgh I would feel unsafe in are the North Side, Wilkinsburg (even though that's mostly only gang violence,) and some random places in areas like Troy Hill and the Hill District (those are being cleaned up.)
My advice is to talk to the neighbors. You can learn a LOT about an area from just talking to someone who lives there. If it's anything like where we ended up, they'll be happy to give you ALL of the dirt!

Old 06-15-2010, 02:02 PM

2 posts, read 6,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otters21 View Post
It mainly has old timers and lower income whites which some of them can be a tad bit on the rough side.
This is very true! Although these people may smell bad or be annoying while yelling at their 7 chuds in Foodland, they aren't dangerous!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh