Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2010, 11:05 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,324,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal77 View Post
So cut everyone off now? People are working on a jobs policy, granted it's taking entirely too much time but it is being worked on. Stimulus is stimulus you can't tell me there isn't a bunch of small business' out there hanging by a thread.
I remember you. My company IS hiring for security guards. As the economy worsens security work is booming. Come work for us. The starting pay is $8.25 an hour. It is crap pay but at least you will be working. PM me for information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 11:06 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,717,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Agreed. I have to give the Democrats credit for attempting to reach across the aisle, they even cut the bill in half just about in order to do so. However, at this point the GOP is showing that they simply are refusing to be even remotely bi-partisan. It would be highly unusual to use reconciliation in this manner, which is likely why the Dems haven't done so, but at this point they should.
Why don't you think the Dems will agree to any cuts ?
Uphold the PayGo they passed.

Why not provide the cuts to balance out the extended unemployment ?

Old 06-24-2010, 11:14 PM

217 posts, read 555,282 times
Ive posted about this in the unemployed section of city data. I dont want to get into who is to blame, but for the folks who are anti-unemployment, How can our gov. be OK with denying hardworking folks who through no fault of their own got laid off, yet we can find money for Haiti or an unwinnable war?

I recently took 2 college educated friends to social services for help. Its pathetic also how many Americans are against the unemployed in general. These people are just like you yet you tell them to F off, just like our gov.
The good old USA....People (your supposed 'Fellow Americans') hate you if you lose your job (because of those in power) and so does your gov., gotta love it.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:15 PM

78,862 posts, read 46,802,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
The "Nuclear" option that you speak of is a method of last resort, and is something that the DEM's do not wish to use, in order to attempt to at least continue with the basis of what the Senate is supposed to be in terms of debate and collegiality.

I personally think they should use it. However, I want to destroy the GOP and most of everything it stands for, and don't really care what I have to do, in order to accomplish that goal. The Democratic Party in the Senate at least want to attempt to continue to work and reach across the aisle in a level of bi-partisanship and tradition of the Senate reaching back to the foundation of our country.

Go figure.

My way or the highway is not reaching across party lines.

That is vote for our stuff, or shut up.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:17 PM

22,239 posts, read 19,557,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
If 99 weeks isn't enough how long is? Tell us since you are the loudest whiner of the teat being taken away, please.

In the meantime please rent/borrow the movie "The Pursuit of Happyness" and get motivated. The Pursuit of Happyness - Official Site
For the 373,291,921 time they are not expanding benefits beyond the 99 weeks. A tier system exists, based on when you were laid off. The tier system has different cutoff dates, what was voted on was to extend those cutoff dates further.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:18 PM

814 posts, read 672,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Government CANNOT create jobs..ok ?
Private companies create jobs. No job policy coming out of DC will get companies to hire 10 million unemployed..ok ?

WAKE UP...we're in year 3 of this "recession".
How about the privatization of police/fire depts? this is already being talked about within CA. Public works projects,tax incentives for first time business owners....

Get off the snooze button! and worry about your own un-security job! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Government can only create government jobs. Don't get your hopes too high.

The only way the federal government can stimulate the economy, is to get the hell out of the way, and quit sucking it all up, because they know better than you and me.
Refer to above post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Lets put it terms they can understand...

Compare it to blowing through an 8 ball of Coke. You spent a lot of cash on a little stimulation for a short time, and now your more broke than before you thought you had to get all tooted up.
You must be on the same bandwagon as that other clown wanting to drug test the unemployed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
If 99 weeks isn't enough how long is? Tell us since you are the loudest whiner of the teat being taken away, please.

In the meantime please rent/borrow the movie "The Pursuit of Happyness" and get motivated. The Pursuit of Happyness - Official Site
I've been off the teat Mr. Mogal, fact of the matter is the only economy that relates to our current situation was 80 years ago. UE should continue until there is a jobs policy in effect or unemployment rates drop. Our government cannot get away with bailing out Wall St and not Main St!

I have that movie and watched it a few months ago. Thanks for the snide encouragement Mr. Mogul. Maybe one day I can be like you, oh wait I prefer to be conscious

Old 06-24-2010, 11:20 PM

814 posts, read 672,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I remember you. My company IS hiring for security guards. As the economy worsens security work is booming. Come work for us. The starting pay is $8.25 an hour. It is crap pay but at least you will be working. PM me for information.
Despite your snide offer I cannot afford to move and am losing my car next month.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:22 PM

30,921 posts, read 37,111,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Looks like the republicans in the Senate have voted against the unemployment benefits for those who are in need. The 57-41 vote needed only three more votes from the republican side to get a total of 60 - to stop a GOP filibuster.

Unemployment benefits measure killed by Senate Republicans

I can't help but think this is going to seem like a joke compared to where we're headed with the national debt. If anyone thinks this is a serious problem, then they have their heads in the sand about what the US is about to face in the next few years. Our national debt is about to double in just 4 YEARS!!! And that's using the government's own statistics!!!!!!!! We're headed for: 1. a radical cutback in government spending or 2. hyperinflation or 3. an debt default.

All 3 scenarios are going to make 2008-09 look like a walk in the park, but #1 is the least bad option.

america's ticking debt bomb like greece "only worse" pento says: Tech Ticker, Yahoo! Finance

Old 06-24-2010, 11:23 PM

22,239 posts, read 19,557,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Why don't you think the Dems will agree to any cuts ?
Uphold the PayGo they passed.

Why not provide the cuts to balance out the extended unemployment ?
Its emergency spending, making other cuts will just hurt the sector they are cutting from.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:24 PM

191 posts, read 362,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Agreed. I have to give the Democrats credit for attempting to reach across the aisle, they even cut the bill in half just about in order to do so. However, at this point the GOP is showing that they simply are refusing to be even remotely bi-partisan. It would be highly unusual to use reconciliation in this manner, which is likely why the Dems haven't done so, but at this point they should.
Actually they couldn't use reconciliation for this. That can only be used for direct budget items, not emergency items, and even then, only for things that are either deficit neutral or deficit reduction. They also can't change procedural rules except at the beginning of a session. (The Court confirmation process where the "Nuclear Option" was bandied about is a different situation).

In terms of unemployment benefits, I'm sorry 99 weeks is way way too long. We are in effect sponsoring a European / Australian style dole. If after 6 months or perhaps even to a year in a very high unemployment time, if you haven't found a job in your specialty, if you have modern skills, move to a place where they can be used. If not, time to go to McDonalds or WalMart or whatever and get used to your new standard of living. Especially if you are blue collar, that 50k per year factory job is never coming back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies