Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2010, 10:10 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,696,085 times

Advertisements

Are not unemployment checks paid by the states unemployment commissions? Run by the states and funded by unemployment insurance deductions, paid into the states by employers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 10:24 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,102,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
The fillibuster is a simple RULE. It is not in the law nor in the Constitution. It is just a rule that can be waived or even done away with by the votes of 51 Senators. Since this is a budget matter, it could also be by passed using a reconciliation vote. The Democrats do not want to extend the benefits either. They do not like unemployed people anymore than the Republicans like them.
The "Nuclear" option that you speak of is a method of last resort, and is something that the DEM's do not wish to use, in order to attempt to at least continue with the basis of what the Senate is supposed to be in terms of debate and collegiality.

I personally think they should use it. However, I want to destroy the GOP and most of everything it stands for, and don't really care what I have to do, in order to accomplish that goal. The Democratic Party in the Senate at least want to attempt to continue to work and reach across the aisle in a level of bi-partisanship and tradition of the Senate reaching back to the foundation of our country.

Go figure.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:26 PM

814 posts, read 671,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post
I would be perfectly happy if the GOP cut unemployment benefits in half. This'll do for now though.
I'd be happy if everyone without a conscience lived in the same state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Back when the Senate members were appointed by the State to keep a checks and balances on the states best interests, you didn't see the federal government trample States and individual rights, like we see now, with special interest electing the Senate members and they have no interest in the States they represent.
Well said, it cannot get anymore obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I am going to say how I really feel about this bill. I stand firmly against it, but I have researched the 99ers and other employed people and I will admit it breaks my heart. This a global scheme to put everyone in the poorhouse. I would have supported this bill only if....

Nafta and Gatt were eliminated.

The Federal Reserve was nationalized.

Banks were encouraged to lend again to small business.

Obviously, none of this will happen. In other words, this bill was nothing more than a band aid. The unemployed people cannot deny it. I do not know what the answer is, but constantly extending unemployed benefits when there is no recovery is just a faster end to our country.
That's a tall order. This bill IS a band aid of EMERGENCY AID for the people that desperately need it.

What most do not see is this is instant stimulus money for the economy. Meaning all of the money dished out is spent right away to keep grocery stores open,landlords paid,etc... of course this is a bandaid! Too bad the GOP's would rather take the chain saw out and cut the leg off. Self serving son of *(&(*_&_*~!

Old 06-24-2010, 10:39 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,266,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal77 View Post
This bill IS a band aid of EMERGENCY AID for the people that desperately need it.

What most do not see is this is instant stimulus money for the economy. Meaning all of the money dished out is spent right away to keep grocery stores open,landlords paid,etc... of course this is a bandaid! Too bad the GOP's would rather take the chain saw out and cut the leg off. Self serving son of *(&(*_&_*~!
True, but in 6 months the bill adds 80 billion to the deficit and the same people are still unemployed since there is no job creation. The stimulus to the economy is a farce. You can not take a broke entity (the government) who has to take a loan to give to others to stimulate the economy. Short term yes, but it is a disaster long term.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:52 PM

814 posts, read 671,089 times
Quote:
True, but in 6 months the bill adds 80 billion to the deficit and the same people are still unemployed since there is no job creation. The stimulus to the economy is a farce. You can not take a broke entity (the government) who has to take a loan to give to others to stimulate the economy. Short term yes, but it is a disaster long term.
So cut everyone off now? People are working on a jobs policy, granted it's taking entirely too much time but it is being worked on. Stimulus is stimulus you can't tell me there isn't a bunch of small business' out there hanging by a thread.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:54 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,570,733 times
Quote:
So cut everyone off now? People are working on a jobs policy, granted it's taking entirely too much time but it is being worked on. Stimulus is stimulus you can't tell me there isn't a bunch of small business' out there hanging by a thread.
Government CANNOT create jobs..ok ?
Private companies create jobs. No job policy coming out of DC will get companies to hire 10 million unemployed..ok ?

WAKE UP...we're in year 3 of this "recession".

Old 06-24-2010, 10:55 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,971,975 times
Quote:
If 99 weeks isn't enough how long is? Tell us since you are the loudest whiner of the teat being taken away, please.

In the meantime please rent/borrow the movie "The Pursuit of Happyness" and get motivated. http://www.sonypictures.com/homevide...itofhappyness/

Old 06-24-2010, 10:59 PM

Quote:

Lets put it terms they can understand...

Compare it to blowing through an 8 ball of Coke. You spent a lot of cash on a little stimulation for a short time, and now your more broke than before you thought you had to get all tooted up.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:02 PM

Quote:

Government can only create government jobs. Don't get your hopes too high.

The only way the federal government can stimulate the economy, is to get the hell out of the way, and quit sucking it all up, because they know better than you and me.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:04 PM

22,205 posts, read 19,494,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
The "Nuclear" option that you speak of is a method of last resort, and is something that the DEM's do not wish to use, in order to attempt to at least continue with the basis of what the Senate is supposed to be in terms of debate and collegiality.

I personally think they should use it. However, I want to destroy the GOP and most of everything it stands for, and don't really care what I have to do, in order to accomplish that goal. The Democratic Party in the Senate at least want to attempt to continue to work and reach across the aisle in a level of bi-partisanship and tradition of the Senate reaching back to the foundation of our country.

Go figure.
Agreed. I have to give the Democrats credit for attempting to reach across the aisle, they even cut the bill in half just about in order to do so. However, at this point the GOP is showing that they simply are refusing to be even remotely bi-partisan. It would be highly unusual to use reconciliation in this manner, which is likely why the Dems haven't done so, but at this point they should.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies