Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2010, 09:51 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,824,817 times

Advertisements

Dems have embraced Pay-as-you-Go. What's the beef?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 09:51 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,832,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
Extremely easy to blame Republicans when they are FILIBUSTERING the Senate. The DEMS don't control that in a closely divided Senate.

But nice try to obfuscate the real situation.
The fillibuster is a simple RULE. It is not in the law nor in the Constitution. It is just a rule that can be waived or even done away with by the votes of 51 Senators. Since this is a budget matter, it could also be by passed using a reconciliation vote. The Democrats do not want to extend the benefits either. They do not like unemployed people anymore than the Republicans like them.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:54 PM

78,862 posts, read 46,802,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal77 View Post
Would just like to give a big to our GOP senate for showing their true colors.

Back when the Senate members were appointed by the State to keep a checks and balances on the states best interests, you didn't see the federal government trample States and individual rights, like we see now, with special interest electing the Senate members and they have no interest in the States they represent.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:56 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,443,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Looks like the republicans in the Senate have voted against the unemployment benefits for those who are in need. The 57-41 vote needed only three more votes from the republican side to get a total of 60 - to stop a GOP filibuster.

Unemployment benefits measure killed by Senate Republicans

How dare the Republicans want to know where the Democrats are coming up with the money to extend unemployment benefits. How dare those jerks be fiscally conservative. Just print the dang money. Geeesh!

Old 06-24-2010, 09:58 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,741,268 times
So, when are Republicans going to cut off corporate welfare? I'm still waiting for that day.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:59 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,298,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
So, when are Republicans going to cut off corporate welfare? I'm still waiting for that day.
When it stops creating and maintaining jobs.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:02 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,324,714 times
I am going to say how I really feel about this bill. I stand firmly against it, but I have researched the 99ers and other employed people and I will admit it breaks my heart. This a global scheme to put everyone in the poorhouse. I would have supported this bill only if....

Nafta and Gatt were eliminated.

The Federal Reserve was nationalized.

Banks were encouraged to lend again to small business.

Obviously, none of this will happen. In other words, this bill was nothing more than a band aid. The unemployed people cannot deny it. I do not know what the answer is, but constantly extending unemployed benefits when there is no recovery is just a faster end to our country.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:04 PM

42,410 posts, read 87,265,011 times
The reeps don't care at all about the issue. They don't care about the unemployed, and even worse, they don't care one way or the other. Their only concern is to play partisan politics, and what the governmental issues are is completely irrelevant. They are taking their ball and going home, and now nobody gets to play anything.

When they get home, they will put the ball under their bed, and pull the covers up to their chin and pout.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:05 PM

78,862 posts, read 46,802,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Looks like the republicans in the Senate have voted against the unemployment benefits for those who are in need. The 57-41 vote needed only three more votes from the republican side to get a total of 60 - to stop a GOP filibuster.

Unemployment benefits measure killed by Senate Republicans

Thank the good lord, someone has a backbone and is cutting up the credit cards!!!!

Back when the Senate members were appointed by the State to keep a checks and balances on the states best interests, you didn't see the federal government trample States and individual rights, like we see now, with special interest electing the Senate members and they have no interest in the States they represent.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:05 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,824,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Why can't Democrats do that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies