Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 02:16 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Police have no obligation to protect you. So sayeth the USSC.

The primary obligation for protection lies with the individual - not the state.
Police has to remove criminals from society and prevent crime, that way they automatically protect society. I was not talking about a policeman living in everybody's backyard
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 02:30 PM

57,315 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
You mean in countries like Russia?

This was a screen capture from a website, the document might require Microsoft PowerPoint for you to view it.

http://longevity-science.org/Harvard-Presentation.ppt

I'll leave the Bible out of this, and I can tell you that violent crime happens anywhere in the world, even in countries that are "largely agnostic or atheist". They may have much stricter gun laws, but they do not necessarily have much "lower violent crime" rate than we do in the United States. Look at Columbia, and the violent crime that's caused by the drug cartels, where innocent people end up being victims.

Why not show some stats from England or Germany where the homicide rate is lower, off course theyare greater in places like Russia?

Old 06-29-2010, 03:41 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,534,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
In response to 2.
Why are you unwilling to compare them? It is simplely discussing the open practice of Constitutionally affirmed rights.

Would you have a person who is obviously praying over a meal at a public eatery denied that freedom? Did some bystanders likely cross themselves in public and hold their rosary beads while they watched an attack unfold on US soil and would you have denied them the right to do so?

What you personally care to see (or not see) isn't relevant when it comes to applying the Constitution equally does it?

Back on topic: Violent crimes (assault with a lethal weapon, rape, etc..) against innocent victims (non gang/drug related) have been proven reduced over time when law abiding citizens are not banned from the ability to own/carry arms.
I'm denying anyone freedom, but my opinion is that if I were the praying type and happen to be in a public setting, I'd pray to myself. And can I see your proof from the bolded above?

Old 06-29-2010, 03:59 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Police has to remove criminals from society and prevent crime, that way they automatically protect society. I was not talking about a policeman living in everybody's backyard
Which is why, I need to protect myself rather than rely on others

Old 06-29-2010, 06:30 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
The police are only minutes away when seconds count.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:54 AM

57,315 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBurst View Post
I'll take you up on that. name a number, representing 10s of thousands, you are willing to put where your mouth is.

What would you expect to be the increase in the use of guns to prevent a homicide? Chicago had 458 homicides in 2009 how many do you think might have been prevented if there was no restriction on handguns? I think we are talking very small amounts here.

I would be more concerned about untrained people with guns doing more damage than good.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:15 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Prisoners don't have guns, yet someone dies, or is maimed in those places daily.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:17 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
The police are only minutes away when seconds count.

It cannot get much clearer than that!

Old 06-30-2010, 03:15 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I would be more concerned about untrained people with guns doing more damage than good.
I would not be that concerned - inasmuch as there are millions of "untrained" people - of all ages (including kids 6/7 years old) who possess and use firearms -

Old 07-01-2010, 11:53 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,200,443 times
Interesting perspective on this here: How Guns Are Sold In American Wal-Marts, Chinese Reactions – chinaSMACK

It's a Chinese site that has the comments translated into English, someone posted a picture of the guns for sale in the US, comments were along the lines of:

I’d like to ask the lou zhu a question. It may be very naive but please be so kind as to give me an answer. Since guns are sold like this in America, is their government not afraid of social problems? Right now in Shanghai, the supermarkets selling cooking knives have also locked them inside glass display cases like this.

bandit800:

Because the hostility between their people is not as deep as it is with us, which is to say they are harmonious in the true meaning and not river crab. Hehe.

北美孤狼:

China bans guns and aside from political reasons, it may be because the government has considered that there are too many neurotic people in China, people who will bark/howl for no reason. If these kind of people had guns, imagine how bad it would be. (I’m referring to the issue, not people, so I hope certain people will keep that in mind before responding).

破奴:

I think the American Constitution has a part that says the citizens have the right to overthrow an authoritarian government…it is what I have heard, not sure if it is true or not.
But in China, that is not possible, and the key is that the character of the people [on average] is not there yet. If firearms were available for sale in China, then we’d probably have to wear bullet-proof vests in order to go out.

飞行音:

Our country’s people have treachery/trouble-making in their bones. You can see it now, in all of China, no one respects anyone else. Learned men scorn each other and military men are lowly to each other, this place cursing that place. If everyone in China had guns, then the country would be torn apart. Even though everyone speaks Chinese, everyone has a different heart. Are we lacking lessons from history?!!

鹰舞苍穹:

Only with citizens who have high restraint and a society with relatively few injustices would [a country] dare be like this.

cbasky:

Imagine for a moment, if we were to sell guns in this manner, I think those domestic tigers, birds, bears, these animals basically could no longer survive.

bluehaze:

I think I saw a short-barrel M700, did I see wrong??
America is really not bad. The weapons that are sold without restrictions appear to be those used for hunting, but even openly selling firearms like this truly makes people sigh.

俺老头是老兵:

If this were China, the number of crime-related deaths would increase ten times. Therefore, America’s gun deaths is still very little. In the future [if guns were allowed in China], those who are involved in forced demolitions and chengguan would not be so niubi anymore. Pressure us and they’ll just shoot you a few times.

五好青年:

Damn, foreign countries are too incredible, even allowing guns to be sold. If China were to also allow them to be sold, things would be a mess. [The population of] black society [organized crime] would at least increase 2 times.
And with China’s current education level, it is possible that school shootings would happen often.

kelefly:

America is a country that was built up from the first shot of the Battle of Lexington.

And the biggest reason they were victorious at the time was because the ordinary people had guns.

冯欣伯林根:

When everyone has guns, no one is afraid of a few people having guns. If it is fear of overthrowing the government, there is no need. If the current government in power truly doesn’t follow the people’s will, in four years at most, they will have to step down and at worst there are still impeachment procedures. There is no need to use knives and guns [no need for violence], truly not worth it. If one wants to express one’s political views, one can organize one’s own political party. Although America in reality is only a two-party system, there still exist other political parties, and what more, the constitution protects the participation of every political party, with the most powerful non-mainstream parties like the Green Party normally getting around 10% of the vote. If one day, this party were to replace the Democratic Party or the Republican Party, the constitution would also protect it. And when there is social disorder, there is the SWAT. With so many people having guns in America, I don’t think a little handgun or a small hunting rifle can cause any social impact.

中国人都期待航母:

The reason why America allows the ordinary people to possess guns is to prevent dictatorship…when that happens, the people can revolt…
Over time, Americans have developed the habit of not using guns even if they have them. Or maybe they are bound by ideas of individual heroism, believing that men should use fists to fight it out, and not relying on guns.
But in our country, the once proper so quick to resort to taking up knives, if there were guns, definitely within 10 years, the population of Chinese people would probably be reduced by half…haha.
PS: America as a country has the highest penetration of firearms in the world, with one gun per capita, but the number of Americans that die under the barrel of a gun are only a trivial 30,000…

幽狙:

America’s president is chosen by the American citizens, so this type of government is not afraid of the common people harming society and rebelling, because don’t need to resort to guns [violence] and only need to demonstrate and protest to make the president step down~~

kemescape:

Americans lives are comfortable, so why have a good life and not live it? Usually chaotic/disorderly societies are all in impoverished countries; You have guns, others have guns, mutually checking each other. If you carry a gun illegally, the police have the right to kill you. Americans’ tradition highly values life…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies