Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 01:29 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Crime is a bit like rats. When there is a rat problem, one can of course flood everything with rat poison, but it will cause victims among the innocent, lower the quality of life and be without long-term effects. It is much safer to eliminate what rats like in order to thrive in the first place, but it takes changing one's habits.
Violent criminals like victims who cannot defend or who are less likely to be able to defend themselves. Gun control laws target only law abiding citizens by their very nature. Remove the bureaucratic and/or unConstitutional obsticals of law abiding citizens to procure tools (in this case arms) used for effective self-defense against an attacker wielding lethal force and you lessen the pool of intended victims for violent criminals to target.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 01:31 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
I have my long guns and shotguns(even a shorty for home protection), but the only thing a pistol is good for, is to get you in trouble.

I always carry many weapons, but nothing man made, unless you want to include my belt.

If a thief broke into my home, he would never find my guns.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I have my long guns and shotguns(even a shorty for home protection), but the only thing a pistol is good for, is to get you in trouble.

I always carry many weapons, but nothing man made, unless you want to include my belt.

If a thief broke into my home, he would never find my guns.
An opinion, not a fact. Not even in the ballpark of being truthful either. My shotgun and rifle just don't fit in my purse holster. I';m not in the habit of getting into trouble and if I were several states would not be willing to issue me a CCW license.

If pistols are only for getting one into trouble why would it be a matter of policy for law enforcement to wear side arms?

Old 06-28-2010, 01:40 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,752,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Violent criminals like victims who cannot defend or who are less likely to be able to defend themselves. Gun control laws target only law abiding citizens by their very nature. Remove the bureaucratic and/or unConstitutional obsticals of law abiding citizens to procure tools (in this case arms) used for effective self-defense against an attacker wielding lethal force and you lessen the pool of intended victims for violent criminals to target.
Sure, but only because you already have such a mess in your cities, way too many guns already, guns that may have belonged to law-abiding citizens some time ago.
And let's face it, a couple of people might shoot a couple of criminals, but crime won't go away, it will be redirected, turning against wives and children etc. It is like with castration, it won't turn a criminal into a good person, he will just change the type of crime.
The only way to solve that mess is by creating a more egalitarian, caring society where nobody feels left outside, unwanted and obsolete.
There are areas in Spain where they have 40% unemployment among the young, yet there is little violent crime. I guess it has to do with society, there is little anonymity, people walk and talk a lot, which reduces the likelihood of people losing it. Aggression probably exists in all humans, but somehow culture has a huge influence on the way it is dealt with.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:46 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times
Quote:
I think violent crime is largely an urban problem. Vermont probably has no big cities with lots of inequality etc. I think it is quite safe in rural Illinois, too.

OK, just looked it up, Burlington is the biggest city in Vermont, population of roughly 39k
Then to use an example closer to you, how about Switzerland? They require the ownership of firearms, compared to most countries they have few restrictions on citizens buying their own private firearms, they're absolutely swimming in guns, and they certainly have some dense urban centers full of guns...and a low crime rate.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Then to use an example closer to you, how about Switzerland? They require the ownership of firearms, compared to most countries they have few restrictions on citizens buying their own private firearms, they're absolutely swimming in guns, and they certainly have some dense urban centers full of guns...and a low crime rate.
MYTH: People in Switzerland are heavily armed. There is an assault weapon in every Swiss home.

TRUTH: It's true that Swiss soldiers are required to keep their assault rifles at home. How big is the Swiss Army? 400,000 (source). There are about 3 million Swiss households (source- PDF file). 400,000/3,000,000= 0.133. Therefore, there is a military assault rifle in about 13% of Swiss homes. Switzerland also has rather strict gun control laws. In Switzerland a permit is required in order to purchase a weapon (The permit shows that you are at least 18 and don't have a criminal record). A permit is also required to carrry a weapon. Such a permit is mostly issued to people who work in security-type occupations. To obtain this permit, you have to demonstrate that you need to carry a weapon and that you know how to handle a gun safely and have knowledge of the law regarding firearms use (source). Soldiers in the Swiss Army are required to store their military weapons at home under lock and key and to undergo regular training. Strict gun laws in Switzerland minimize the dangers of gun ownership. However, such dangers can not be completely eliminated as illustrated by the case of Friedrich Leibacher who rushed into a session of parliament in the Swiss town of Zug. He used his Swiss Army assault rifle and a grenade to murder fourteen people. Eleven of these people were lawmakers (source) .

Gun Control and the Second Amendment

Old 06-28-2010, 01:54 PM

Neuling is a European gun-banner wishing to impose his beliefs upon Americans who have a Constitution that uniquely affirms rights his own country's Constitution has failed to do. Logic and a historical perspective on this subject as it applies to the US eldudes him/her.

The American experience is not that of the Eurpean experience. To compare either is apples and oranges at best. I choose freedom over federally regulated security. YMMV

Old 06-28-2010, 02:00 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,203,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
I hear gun nuts claiming that the reason Chicago has so many shootings because handguns were banned, even though shotguns were not. They have long claimed that overturning the handgun ban would serve as a deterrent and reduce crimes. Wanna bet that the number of murders will not be reduced next year. This will have no impact on gun violence as most of the people getting shot (gangbangers) in Chicago already had guns.

your comment just goes to show that liberals do not remember why gun laws were passed in the 1st place. gun control laws were passed after reconstruction to keep firearms out of the hands of blacks and other minorities. otherwise called jim crow laws.

it seems strange to me that anyone calling themselves a democrat, republican, conservative or liberal would even consider that they are racist against minorites since gun control effect mainly the poor and minorities.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Neuling is a European gun-banner wishing to impose his beliefs upon Americans who have a Constitution that uniquely affirms rights his own country's Constitution has failed to do. Logic and a historical perspective on this subject as it applies to the US eldudes him/her.

The American experience is not that of the Eurpean experience. To compare either is apples and oranges at best. I choose freedom over federally regulated security. YMMV

My opinion doesn't have to do with my being European, after all there are a couple of gun lovers here, too. It is just common sense in my view that the fewer guns that are out there, the better.

Maybe you will change your mind once your child is shot at school or wherever...

Old 06-28-2010, 02:05 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,203,858 times
Quote:
My opinion doesn't have to do with my being European, after all there area couple of gun lovers here, too. It is just common sense in my view that there fewer guns that are out there, the better.

Maybe you will change your mind once your child is shot at school or wherever...

you being european has alot to do with it, since most people in your countries over there do not have the freedom to go out anytime they wish and shoot firearms it makes a big difference in your decisions towards firearms.

as far as my daughters being shot at school, all 3 of my daughters know how to shoot safely and the 2 oldest have permits to carry when they go out or to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies