Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 12:15 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,203,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Most people here talk with each other when they go out, why would anyone even want to shoot firearms?! If that kind of culture and environment influences my way of thinking than obviously in a rather positive way as it is the standard here, which shows in the statistics
It is wonderful to be able to go out anytime during the day or night without even worrying about someone might hurt you. Children play in the streets at 11pm, women go home alone in the dark without being afraid, people don't look the other way in the streets to avoid contact, they deliberately seek contact with, greet and smile at total familiar people as well as total strangers. That makes such a big difference. Since I don't feel like I am missing any freedoms, I have to conclude that society here is simply superior to the US model, sorry to be so direct. It is not meant as an insult, just an observation.

In this country's only two big cities there is more crime, that basic difference is global it seems.

dont worry that is your opinion. if life is so great in your country and so safe, why do the police and military even bother to carry or have any firearms at all?

your lifestyle is based upon one where kings, queens and others have always had some kind of royalty in its past and did not mind having their monarchs ruling over them. we Americans did not want such in our country and we threw off the european ways and have no desire to return to it(except for a minority few).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 06:44 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,280,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpsma View Post
another piece of jealous eurotrash speaks on an american forum.

Amazing how these 2nd world citizens dare to speak about the united states.
who?

Old 06-29-2010, 07:07 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
Some kinds of violent crime such as house breaking and direct assault will drop off as the population of Chicago begin to arm themselves. Just the possibility that a homeowner may be armed raises the risk to the house breaker or mugger tremendously compared with a ban on keeping handguns at home or being able to carry a gun on your person.

When the potential victims are willing and able to use a gun to protect themselves the economics of crime takes a radical turn because the increased risks to the criminal are not compensated by any increase is amount stolen. Only the most drugged or brain dead criminals are willing to risk their lives for a TV or a few bucks. These criminals are the most dangerous and arming most of the population is a very efficient way of keeping the number of crazed criminals to a minimum.

Anyone the owns a gun for self defense should learn all they can the laws concerning self defense. Then they should learn how to select a legitimate target and hit it with the first shot even during the stress of an assault. That is the essence of gun control “select a legitimate target and hit it with the first shot”. The gun user should also know that they are responsible for ALL the damage done by a bullet they shoot even if it hits an unintended target.

Owning and/or carrying a firearm is very serious business and I applaud the SCOTUS for recognizing the fundamental right of a human being to be armed for their own defense.

GregW – Your resident far left liberal.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:01 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,752,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
You mean in countries like Russia?

This was a screen capture from a website, the document might require Microsoft PowerPoint for you to view it.

http://longevity-science.org/Harvard-Presentation.ppt

I'll leave the Bible out of this, and I can tell you that violent crime happens anywhere in the world, even in countries that are "largely agnostic or atheist". They may have much stricter gun laws, but they do not necessarily have much "lower violent crime" rate than we do in the United States. Look at Columbia, and the violent crime that's caused by the drug cartels, where innocent people end up being victims.
Russia, hehe, yes, not exactly a peaceful place. I was more thinking of Scandinavia or places like that. In Colombia most people are actually pretty Christian, and yet very violent on average.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
We heavily armed Americans here have not experienced a tyrant on the scale of Hitler.

Which is the main reason behind the second amendment.

And for other rights, we can defend ourselves from armed, violent thugs. And don't pretend Europe has none, because they do. Wasn't that long ago the UK had a mass shooting spree that left several people dead, in spite of strict gun laws.

Funny that all the rights Americans say they unlike Europeans enjoy, have to do with weapons or violence And when I look at this board, there are so many people who see Obama as a dictator, fascist, Antichrist, and what not, half your country hates him, still nobody shoots him. So if fighting dictatorship is the justification for gun ownership derived from the second amendment, what is it good for?

Old 06-29-2010, 11:17 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,269,913 times
Quote:
Most people here talk with each other when they go out, why would anyone even want to shoot firearms?! If that kind of culture and environment influences my way of thinking than obviously in a rather positive way as it is the standard here, which shows in the statistics
From your bolded statement above, I must presume that you have never actually fired a gun. Am I correct?

Shooting can be fun. Relaxing. Just like other sports / hobbies.

And keep in mind that shooting is also and Olympic Sporting event.

It's not just a protection of oneself issue - it is also a sporting issue as well.

You might want to give it a try sometime - then you can better understand.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:24 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,047,952 times
Will crime be reduced? Probably not.

But, it's not the average homeowner who is out there shooting people with their handguns.
We have the right to defend ourselves.

The cliche is true, about taking away our guns... if they take away our right to have guns, only criminals will have them.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Did you not read my link? There's pretty widespread civilian ownership of private firearms there...in addition to the militia related arms.

It wasn't that many years ago that Switzerland had readily available concealed carry licenses in most of their cantons. The issue of them was federalized though they are still available somewhat unlike many European countries (though the Czech Republic probably has the best concealed carry laws of Europe).

There may be merit to the argument there's cultural and societal reasons for Switzerland being so safe (which may be true here in Vermont too), but in any case, it doesn't change the facts that allowing some of the most freedom for gun ownership in Western Europe, has not caused crime issues in Switzerland.
Even if it were like that (which I am not sure of, have to ask a real Swiss person), one might look at it from the other side and ask, why weapons if other manage to achieve the same level of safety without them To keep the arms manufacturers happy?

Well, I guess we will see what happens during the next couple of years in Chicago. I don't think there will be a clear decrease of violent crime. There are always 'natural' fluctuations in crime rates, for instance I read that there were shootings and riots in Cincinnati years ago, now it seems relatively calm. In LA there used to be a lot of gang violence (didn't Jacko's Beat it refer to that?), now LA is not in the news anymore because of that.

Yesterday I read somewhere that everybody expects an inundation of law suits from both sides, this issue is not settled.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
From your bolded statement above, I must presume that you have never actually fired a gun. Am I correct?

Shooting can be fun. Relaxing. Just like other sports / hobbies.

And keep in mind that shooting is also and Olympic Sporting event.

It's not just a protection of oneself issue - it is also a sporting issue as well.

You might want to give it a try sometime - then you can better understand.
Lol, no thanks, I am way too civilized and intelligent for shooting If I need fun or relaxation I listen to or make music. I have never taken drugs, either, despite some fools trying to coax me into it.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:28 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,047,952 times
Default One issue voting...

Quote:
Yesterday I read somewhere that everybody expects an inundation of law suits from both sides, this issue is not settled.
This is an area where the "liberals" should realize that people will vote against them simply because of their stand on this law.

The right to bear arms is an issue that can win or lose an election for them... regardless of what else they stand for.
It seems that the Republicans have understood this fact for years.

P.S. Our world will not magically become a nicer, safer place to live if you take away the guns of honest, hard working people.

Last edited by World Citizen; 06-29-2010 at 11:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies