Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 11:26 AM

9,962 posts, read 18,548,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
To bad you hardly see a water fountain anymore. Heck when is the last time you've seen a payphone.

Question is why should someone have to?
Today you can just walk into a convenient store and refill next to the soda station for free or a small fee. Coffee shops, Grocery stores..allow the same thing. It is easier than buying a bottle of water and at less expense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 11:27 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,871,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I spent many years in Wellington, Miami and Tampa. You are not fooling me with the amount of trash on your beaches. California is definitely a higher quality/cleanliness than Florida.
Not sure what beach you are going to but the one in my county has no trash on it. I've been to South beach many times also and it without a doubt had no trash on it being a big tourist attraction. I am not speaking for every single square inch of beach in Fla. That is silly to assume I am

Good then go to the beaches in Ca. I'll stick with my clean beach right here.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:27 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,353,201 times
Quote:
Bottle water is nothing but a sham, we have some of the best tap water there is in the world. I have personally tested bottle water vs tap purity and they were exactly the same @ .23 here in the BayArea.

Water bottles have become a major source of pollution in the Pacific Ocean and Bay.

Plastic Waste Creating Ocean-Sized Crisis - News Story - KTVU San Francisco

Here in Europe we have a 25 euro cent deposit charged on bottles. It's nice, our roads are clean and the bottles are recycled.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Today you can just walk into a convenient store and refill next to the soda station for free or a small fee. Coffee shops, Grocery stores..allow the same thing. It is easier than buying a bottle of water.
Then I might as well be able to buy a bottle water

They wont let you just walk in an refill here lol

Old 07-13-2010, 11:28 AM

2,500 posts, read 2,940,710 times
Quote:
$3.00 for a liter of Fiji water...I see people carrying these square bottles around everywhere.
Yeah, but that's only because they're allowed. Once they're not allowed to do it anymore they'll stop. And once they stop you can move on to the next thing.

There's always a next thing.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Here in Europe we have a 25 euro cent deposit charged on bottles. It's nice, our roads are clean and the bottles are recycled.
CA already has a deposit on every can and water bottle, I believe it is 10¢. Maybe we should raise that to 25¢ or 50¢...

It wouldn't matter I am afraid, people pay 9.00 for a pack of cigarettes in NYC, they'd probably still buy a bottle of extorted water in SF.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
There is no law preventing you from choosing how you want to drink water. You can carry a bottle like I do, or buy one. The local government is making these laws for its city and as I can see, is being fiscally responsible, as well as addressing an environmental need.

Just because you're free doesn't mean you've the right to litter and be a nuisance, and create trouble for others.

And who recycles? At what cost? Is it all free?
the city is now considering banning bottled water at all events held on city property.

No doesnt appear i would be able to just carry my own bottle of water. Cant just buy one either.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
CA already has a deposit on every can and water bottle, I believe it is 10¢. Maybe we should raise that to 25¢ or 50¢...

It wouldn't matter I am afraid, people pay 9.00 for a pack of cigarettes in NYC, they'd probably still buy a bottle of extorted water.
^^ Long as its not something you like or use, right

Old 07-13-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Then I might as well be able to buy a bottle water

They wont let you just walk in an refill here lol
Sorry to hear that, with all that heat you'd think there would be water available everywhere. I guess you are forced to buy a bottle then.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:39 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,353,201 times
Quote:
Sorry to hear that, with all that heat you'd think there would be water available everywhere. I guess you are forced to buy a bottle then.
The only places I'm forced to buy bottled water are Korea, where the water is not potable and Cambodia. I usually buy bottled or carry my filter with me when I'm in other SE Asian countries because I'm wary. I drink tap water all over Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies