Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 11:40 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,511,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
The only places I'm forced to buy bottled water are Korea, where the water is not potable and Cambodia. I usually buy bottled or carry my filter with me when I'm in other SE Asian countries because I'm wary. I drink tap water all over Europe.
Right, I also drink purified water or from a bottle when I am in Mexico.

We are blessed to have some of the best tap water in the world here in the US. Yet we have been brainwashed by corporations that bottled water is better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 11:41 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,845,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
To bad you hardly see a water fountain anymore. Heck when is the last time you've seen a payphone.

Question is why should someone have to?
I find it easier to locate a water fountain than to find a place/vending machine that sells water. Even if both were accessible, I am way too fiscally conservative and environmentally conscious to favor buying water bottle over carrying my own bottle.

Perhaps the businesses that run on bottled businesses would like to ban free water fountains, and if you don't see enough of them compared to the past, that just may be happening.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:01 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,854,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I find it easier to locate a water fountain than to find a place/vending machine that sells water. Even if both were accessible, I am way too fiscally conservative and environmentally conscious to favor buying water bottle over carrying my own bottle.

Perhaps the businesses that run on bottled businesses would like to ban free water fountains, and if you don't see enough of them compared to the past, that just may be happening.
You have a hard time finding a store that sells a bottle of water? Really? I rarely see water fountains and when I do they are nasty and I dont want to put my mouth anywhere near it. Let alone drink hot water.

That is great, That is your choice. Sorry but you dont get to make my choices also. If we are going to play that game. Then Others get to make a choice for you also.

Some might pick that you are required to attend church. Another might require that you must drive a hummer. Someone else might decide that you should only eat McDonalds.

Thats the point we are free to make our own choices. If you wish to care more then the avg person about the environment that is great for you. Doesnt mean others have to care as much about it as you do. Thats what it is to live in a free nation.

You should be able to carry around one of those reusable bottles and I should be able to carry about the bottle water I pay for. I shouldnt be able to tell you that you must also pay for and buy the bottle.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:02 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,129,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
So, what do you do if you're thirsty and not at home and want water? Knock on someone's door and ask for a drink? Come on now, instead of cracking down on polluters, it's just easier to ban it? Nut job liberals and their power hungry control on everything.

Oh my GOD!!! How did our parents and grandparents get by without dying of thirst!!!!! You either drink from a fountain or suck it up till you get home.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:10 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,560,715 times
Have you considered the impact of MILLIONS of plastic bottles filling our waste cans on your waste management? The city of Seattle's last mayor also attempted this, because there was no place to go with all the bottles.

BTW -- have you ever considered that buying small bottles of water is not necessary to a good quality of life? In fact, by NOT addressing the problems of poor quality drinking water, and buying water instead, you are contributing to the problem of poor water quality throughout the country.

And, please, before you claim you need to buy all those bottles, let me remind you that before they were available, people with water problems were buying their water in refillable containers. That is STILL an option.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:13 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,968,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
^^ Yup don't move to SF, especially if you aren't even willing to understand what is going on with this surge in water bottles popularity.

Those of you that mock this ban, I ask:

Is it worth polluting the Pacific Ocean from SF to Hawaii so that you can drink bottled water?

Should our government appropriate millions of tax dollars to the clean up of these water bottles?
Well, those whom are for "sin taxes" should love the opportunity to tax bottles water and plastic grocery bags for the cost of clean-up. Perhaps it would be more effective for the city of San Francisco to do just that rather than a ban. Of course, we know they would never actually use the tax money for clean-up but for pet social projects, right?

One solution:
http://www.gizmag.com/bobble-filteri...-bottle/14895/

Old 07-13-2010, 12:14 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,932,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Oh my GOD!!! How did our parents and grandparents get by without dying of thirst!!!!! You either drink from a fountain or suck it up till you get home.
Or if you want to buy a bottle of water, you buy a bottle of water.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:15 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,453,620 times
Quote:
You have a hard time finding a store that sells a bottle of water? Really? I rarely see water fountains and when I do they are nasty and I dont want to put my mouth anywhere near it. Let alone drink hot water.

That is great, That is your choice. Sorry but you dont get to make my choices also. If we are going to play that game. Then Others get to make a choice for you also.

Some might pick that you are required to attend church. Another might require that you must drive a hummer. Someone else might decide that you should only eat McDonalds.

Thats the point we are free to make our own choices. If you wish to care more then the avg person about the environment that is great for you. Doesnt mean others have to care as much about it as you do. Thats what it is to live in a free nation.

You should be able to carry around one of those reusable bottles and I should be able to carry about the bottle water I pay for. I shouldnt be able to tell you that you must also pay for and buy the bottle.
The problem is that the choice to drink bottled water is filling up our landfills. That's a public nuisance.

If there were something wrong with our tap water, maybe that public nuisance would be something we would just have to deal with. But the choice to drink bottled water for no real reason has become a public problem.

Heck, bottled water should be banned nationally.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:20 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,854,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
The problem is that the choice to drink bottled water is filling up our landfills. That's a public nuisance.

If there were something wrong with our tap water, maybe that public nuisance would be something we would just have to deal with. But the choice to drink bottled water for no real reason has become a public problem.

Heck, bottled water should be banned nationally.
We can recycle those bottles and reuse them

Should we do away with all forms of can drinks, Bottle drinks, Glass container drinks?

Yeah I know I should just want to go without drinking water in the hot Fla sun. That isnt a real reason being thirsty

Old 07-13-2010, 12:21 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,845,020 times
Quote:

Your choices are being made by someone else, always. Either that, or you're addicted to bottled water as you see no other way out. If you can't handle my personal experience, then don't. In fact, I don't even have to look for stores (and the stores that sell water, also tend to have water fountains).

Trust me, nobody will issue you a fine or put you in jail, or prevent you from drinking your proudly purchased bottled water in SFO. You're still free. You just refuse to acknowledge values that others hold. If they don't want to deal with the nuisance, what is your problem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies