Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2010, 08:30 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,210,521 times

Advertisements

Can't say I understand the need to have a flag at one's home unless it's of the country they're in.....just don't get it. Get it even less when the person is many generations removed from that immigration. If I'm in a country that I've chosen to make my home,then that's the flag I wave or none at all. If I were to live in another country for whatever reason, I wouldn't wave the US flag. With the opinion many other countries have of Americans, I can imagine how well that would go over...can hear words like "arrogant and rude" ringing in my ears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 08:38 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,896,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
its not a bad thing to not forget where you came from

Well we use to have plenty of Americans that sure could send your ass back or make you wish you forgot it ! Not anymore .

You don't fly a foreign flag unless the flag of the host nation is above it . Especially when the nation is at war .

If you go into mexican or canadian waters you have to lower your flag and fly thiers aove yours Power Squadron rules .

Old 07-27-2010, 09:19 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,831,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques
If Puerto Ricans want to fly their flag, great for them, hell we stole their country. Same goes for Hawaiians. Same goes for Mexicans in the Southwest, which by any standard of morality known to civilized men ought to belong to the Mexicans in the first place. (I'd be laughing my ass off if they took over the Southwest and started deporting the 'illegal' whites.) Same goes for a lot of the Native Americans, although many parts of the Plains and the East were settled by fair and reasonable treaties, not war.
puerto rico was never a independent country operating as puerto ricans, it was always spanish property/territory that belonged to spain americans seized it from spain not self proclaimwed puerto ricans

its like people who say america was stolen one can say puerto rico was stolen too but they dont say that, if every non native american is illegal in the US then that means the whole PR population are illegals lol

Old 07-27-2010, 11:05 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,529,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy&Me View Post
Well we use to have plenty of Americans that sure could send your ass back or make you wish you forgot it ! Not anymore .

You don't fly a foreign flag unless the flag of the host nation is above it . Especially when the nation is at war .

If you go into mexican or canadian waters you have to lower your flag and fly thiers aove yours Power Squadron rules .
That's funny, I assumed you were an immigrant based on your limited command of the English language.

Quote:
Well we use to have plenty of Americans that sure could send your ass back or make you wish you forgot it !
Huh?

Old 07-28-2010, 01:38 AM

838 posts, read 922,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PT 3000 View Post
Am I the only one who gets sick of people moving here from other countrys and waving their home flags in our face and we aren't susposed to say anything about it, I can say that if the hispanic population would stop acting like they are still in Mexico and start taking pride in where they are at and wave an American flag or two more people would think that they actually wanted to be a citizen of this country and maybe try and help them become one, The same goes for Puerto Ricans waving their flags from Puerto Rico, which is a U.S. territory, not a country, if you've ever been to Miami then you'll know what i'm talking about, I'm not prejudice or anything and have no problem with any race, but when you come to America you show her some respect, it seems like talking about your old girlfriend to your new girlfriend all the time and after a while she gets tried of it, When in America act like you're in America, we don't care what country you came from as long as you are productive and helpful in this country and not a criminal.
We all see it. They are acting out what is in their hearts, their true feelings and actions show they are tied to home countries...Mexico, Puerto Rico and others. If they pretended to act patriotic to America it's a fraud to who they are. It's good we know the truth of where their loyalties lie.

Ancestors that came through Ellis Island had different feelings and intentions, in their hearts they wanted to be Americans and it showed in many ways leaving their past lives behind.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:56 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,942,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsicmovies View Post
We all see it. They are acting out what is in their hearts, their true feelings and actions show they are tied to home countries...Mexico, Puerto Rico and others. If they pretended to act patriotic to America it's a fraud to who they are. It's good we know the truth of where their loyalties lie.
I was born in Puerto Rico and so have all my family and last I checked we were all born Americans and have a US passport . By the way, 97% of Puerto Ricans from the island want to stay American citizens . Oh and if you ever visit Puerto Rico, you'll notice down there a lot of people don't have the flag on every article of clothing they wear or on their cars. That's more of a mainlander thing, not a Commonwealth thing. Same with Mexicans in Mexico. Most of them don't give a crap about Cinco de Mayo but the American ones are all crazy celebrating it

Old 07-28-2010, 03:21 AM

767 posts, read 1,744,172 times
They don't want or want not to be accepted.

They just live in their cultural enclaves so as to simulate living in their home countries which is where they would rather be.

There's the difference between past and present immigrants- those of the past actually wanted to be here; those of the present don't want to be here, they just want the economic opportunity.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:48 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,633,251 times
Why do people wave flags in the first place ? As someone who has never felt the desire to wave a flag and remain puzzled by those who do I have tried to understand but failed.

I am proud of my native country in some things, others make my flesh creep, same for my adoptive country, same for any country. No country is perfect and you being born in one is simply an accident of birth. I did not chose to be born in France anymore than my Grand-Father chose to be born in US.

What is this obsession people have with flags ? If you really love your country then surely a better way to show your loyalty is to be involved in your local community and in national politics lobbying politicians etc... to ensure that what you perceive as precious and unique remains such.

How does waving a piece a fabric mean anything ?

A flag is a symbol. I know human beings love symbol but to get to upset over a piece of fabric when poverty, crime or other serious social issues are the true issues is beyond me.

I show my loyalty to my country and adoptive country by trying to ensure it becomes better and retains what I believe make it special. I also fight tooth and nail to erradicate what I see as destructive and negative.

Anyway I thought Americans pride themselves on being the Land of the Free. So presumably that means being able to fly any flag you wish including a Taleban one if you chose to ?

I was called a commie many times on this forum but it seems to me that either you are for unlimited freedom of expression or you are not.

There is nothing wrong with being proud of your country to a degree but I find so many flag wavers to be blind to their country's faults and always showing a sense of superiority . Pride is one thing, arrogance another. I think the distinction is often blurred.

I prefer my loyalty to be more actively engaged. A piece of fabric really means nothing to me.

And if flying a flag means that much to some people then let them fly whatever it is they want. It does not harm anyone .

I do find flag divisive though and unity would seem a lot more appropriate in any society.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:29 AM

2 posts, read 4,907 times
im italian and i have only a flag from italia that i wave proud i live in the usa so what you gonna come and shoot me and i resent your little statment about the hispanics and latinos italians are latin and we have pride in our home no matter what anyone says just like if some american came to italia waving a american flag around ( not gonna say he/she will live long) they woulnd make a big deal out of it they would just dig a ditch and put the person and flag in it then go on about their day. the way i look at it is if your offended by a simple thing as a person being proud of there race and not bending over and saying they are white to blend in with the american government then im sorry you must of not had a very good childhood so go out and have fun because you really dont want to disrespect the wrong person over race....

Old 07-28-2010, 08:47 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,210,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
They don't want or want not to be accepted.

They just live in their cultural enclaves so as to simulate living in their home countries which is where they would rather be.

There's the difference between past and present immigrants- those of the past actually wanted to be here; those of the present don't want to be here, they just want the economic opportunity.
I agree with this statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies