Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 08:29 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Can he sue all 57 states?

Maybe he'll take over a few territories to get 57 just so he can sue them. Then, he'll claim that the gov't jobs created by it have lowered the unemployment rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 08:31 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
This is headed for a Supreme court battle at this point.

We'll see.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:32 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,556,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Maybe he'll take over a few territories to get 57 just so he can sue them. Then, he'll claim that the gov't jobs created by it have lowered the unemployment rate.
Have you been reading the Obama playbook again?

Old 08-04-2010, 08:34 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,347,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Not trying to hijack the thread, but having read an article on the topic a couple of questions came to mind in response to supporters comments.

1. Health care is a right. Says who? Show me where it is delineated as a human right. Just because the government wants you to believe it does not make it true.

2. If this bill requires everyone to have health care insurance to lower the cost to low income people, does that truly make sense?

Some already cannot afford health care, so they are to be forced to pay for something that they can't afford? This makes no sense to me. Or is it just another step by this administration to put more people on the government dole?

That's not a hijack at all. You raise some very valid questions. My bet is that it's just another step by this administration to put more people on the government dole. I read another article where a business owner was interviewed. He currently provides health insurance. The catch is that the fine for not providing health insurance via the new law would cost him less than he currently pays in health care for his employees. He's now considering ending the healthcare plan and just paying the fine. That puts all of his employees in the position of probably going on the dole. How many times will that scenario be played out? Nice work Barry!!!!!

Old 08-04-2010, 08:37 AM

22 posts, read 22,871 times
Quote:
Can he sue all 57 states?

Old 08-04-2010, 08:39 AM

I'm thinking that if this issue gets pushed to the Supreme Court, the seniors in the TEA party who want their "hands off my medicare" aren't going to be happy.

If a government mandate for healthcare is ruled unconstitutional, then medicare would very well be gone as well.

People won't like that one bit.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:41 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I'm thinking that if this issue gets pushed to the Supreme Court, the seniors in the TEA party who want their "hands off my medicare" aren't going to be happy.

If a government mandate for healthcare is ruled unconstitutional, then medicare would very well be gone as well.

People won't like that one bit.

Considering this crap steals money from medicare...I'd say that's their main concern.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Considering this crap steals money from medicare...I'd say that's their main concern.
I'm saying that if this goes before the court, there is a real chance ALL federal medical care could be declared unconstitutional.

Stealing money from anything (which is bunk, BTW), won't matter if it doesn't exist anymore.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:51 AM

159 posts, read 144,460 times
Quote:
That's not a hijack at all. You raise some very valid questions. My bet is that it's just another step by this administration to put more people on the government dole. I read another article where a business owner was interviewed. He currently provides health insurance. The catch is that the fine for not providing health insurance via the new law would cost him less than he currently pays in health care for his employees. He's now considering ending the healthcare plan and just paying the fine. That puts all of his employees in the position of probably going on the dole. How many times will that scenario be played out? Nice work Barry!!!!!
and when this happens, a good chunk of those people will be pushed to Medicaid.

States are already bleeding trying to pay for Medicaid. This will just compound the problem.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:52 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,958,589 times
70% voted for the proposition but I doubt that those 70% have no health insurance. For those who refuse to buy health insurance (despite the tax breaks and credits) - what do they expect to happen when they can't pay for an unexpected and expense occurrence (cancer, car accident, heart disease, transplants...). Many people can pay out of pocket for doctor visits, checkups, broken arms etc... but insurance is to cover the expensive catastrophes. Who pays for these uninsured? Do they get no treatment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies