Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 08:48 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,801,142 times

Advertisements

With a perfunctory look at our own crumbling society, coupled with it's civil and social unrest and the fairly recent economic conditions that have beset America,
it becomes almost impossible for the man in the street, to subscribe to that vanishing illusion, once considered to be "the American way". We've based our opinions about
America, upon a set of principles and values that were instilled within us at a time when we, as a nation, existed under a misconceived notion that we lived in paradise and
were governed by, wise and conscientious leaders. We once believed that our leaders were genuinely concerned with OUR welfare first, with all other things aside but many,
like myself have come to see today, that we've been led astray.

I seriously doubt that our founding fathers would approve of what has become of their project in liberty, their hopes for freedom or their concept of the pursuit of happiness
for the citizenry. In America, our values have changed from, "one for all, all for one", to: "Tough luck Jack, I got mine now you find yours". I also doubt that there was ever intended
to be, the class distinctions that we see between our leaders and the citizen subjects that they govern, those who "have" and those who "have-not". America's policy of sharing the
wealth has come down to the imposition of taxing it's people in order to buy global good will, things like sending billions to other nations, places like Pakistan or Iraq or Afghanistan and
forcing us to pay the tab. I would think that charity begins at home, at least it was the sensible ethic that I grew up with, so many years ago when America had more concern for us
Americans than those of foreign nations who eagerly take our money and then spit in our faces.

America has seen it's greatest day, there is no fix for our problems today. Our government, as we once knew it, has been transformed into an aimless beast who wanders through
a rapidly changing world, contented to use the reputation that it once gained through the backs, hearts and blood of those who fought to preserve and keep intact, the principles that
were framed at America's inception. We have passively allowed for this by accepting with unquestionable trust, every new policy that they have arrived at, our own welfare not withstanding.
Administration after administration, they have tipped the scales and the balance of power to a point where the advantage is clearly theirs, there is no government which is "by the people and
for the people", it is a self-serving entity with a primary dedication to the proposition that bigger is better.

Just like it was when I was a kid in the schoolyard and had to suffer along with the others while the school bully pushed and shoved anyone who got in his way. I remember the day when
the bully broke his ankle and became vulnerable, no longer able to push his way around the playground on his long standing reputation. Although I was not the first one to kick him in the teeth
when he stumbled on his crutch and fell to the ground but once that I determined that he was virtually defenseless and could not protect himself, I gave in to basic human instinct and joined
the frenzied mob of those whom he had bullied somewhere along the way to the top. I'm waiting now, to see if history really repeats itself, here in the school yard of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 09:11 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,952,981 times
United States: An invader who deceitfully uses the names of Freedom and Democracy to justify its actions.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:09 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
See self-righteousness is very convenient.
I'm against war too but the truth is it's kill or be killed.
Show me an example where it's otherwise.
So it's okay to attack sovereign nations and kill the citizenry because we choose to? These people are innocent.
If this isn't a crime against humanity, what is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwaggy View Post
Who cares if they hate us? Really. So what.
The longer we stay in countries, unwelcomed, we create more and more of our enemies. We create them, then we whine if we suffer consequences.
Why are we there, except to kill people (do we hold life with so little regard, unless they’re American, of course) and make enemies throughout the world.

How would you feel if you were Iraqi or Afghani?

Old 08-06-2010, 08:25 AM

208 posts, read 476,476 times
The US solder is always regarded as primarily under control of Washington, even when supposedly under the UN.

Last edited by Mullenite; 08-06-2010 at 08:41 AM..

Old 08-06-2010, 08:56 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,466,883 times
I think the U.S. forgets that it's not the primary power anymore. We no longer provide the best quality of life. Yet I think we still act like we are at the forefront, the most powerful nation. We have our own problems though, and I think we need to work on our own internal problems before trying to jump in for other nations. In other words, I think America is an invader. Not always with the worst of intentions, but nevertheless, we spend a whole lot more time creating problems than solving problems when we try to go into other nations like Iraq, and we are probably best off just trying to work on ourselves for now.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:00 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Negresco View Post
Really, where is the truth?
Well, in Iraq and Afghanistan we weren't keeping the peace, we invaded them. Afghanistan because we were attacked, Iraq for a Presidents daddy issues.

Peace keeping missions like Bosnia, Somalia, Gulf War I, WWII in Germany, etc are different. Those are wars we fought to "keep the peace" so to speak.

I think a better question, were they wars of aggression, or defense?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies